1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ash, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

If it doesn't at least tour the UK, Rowling being from Scotland it better goddamn come here, I'll be surprised. Relatively cheap tickets by West End standards.

2. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/theatre/scots-director-john-tiffany-reveals-5976751

I guess it depends on how successful it is, (and it seems probable since Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Sets West End Record for Advance Sale) but the director says at the end of the article that he does want to tour Scotland. Also, it seems like the director is ruling out any Hollywood celebrities, so focusing on white British male actors around 40-50s with stage experience...Hugh Dancy, Bertie Carvel, Samuel West, Rory Kinnear, Johnny Lee Miller, Luke Treadaway, Rupert Everett, Rafe Spall...or someone more obscure. I thought Carvel was great as Jonathan Strange so maybe he'll reprise a magician's role?

Actually, can we get a Hamilton-twist on this play?

3. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Tiffany is a phenomenal director. It won't be lacking in terms of direction. If he has a decent amount of casting control (which I think he will) then the only possible thing that could let this down is the writing.

I'd like to see Miller as the main. He's got an excellent stage presence although he'd obviously need to wear a hairpiece...unless they make it a joke that Auror duties has made Harry bald.

4. Prowz

Prowz Squib

I have a hard time understanding how anything even remotely related to magic can work best shown live on stage, seeing as how play-actors can't cast magic, but what do I know, I hope they have a big budget for pyrotechnics.

5. Qazi

Qazi Squib

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Why is Hermione now black?

Is this some kind of hoax/prank?

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Because:
    1. She was the best actress that auditioned.
    2. Political correctness gone mad!
    3. Barring unforeseen developments in the play itself, her skin colour makes very little if any difference to her as a character.
    4. Accident with a spell that hasn't/can't be reversed.

Pick the answer you like best.

More on topic, she's the only one I vaguely recognise - think she's been in a couple of Doctor Who episodes I've watched this weekend. Can't really comment on their ability, but they look convincing enough I suppose.

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I assume Dumezweni just nails Hermione so fucking hard the theater's foundations shake in awe of her performance.

Or perhaps it's a show of edginess/equality in a rather blatant attempt to make people notice the upcoming play. Whatever.

In other news, I'm really digging Thornley as Ron.

9. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

I'm with Rep, it's whatever. Doubt I'll even watch this on any form. Still, they better give her a big mane of bushy hair and dye the hair of Ron's actor.

10. Ankan

Ankan Professor

11. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Hah, the reaction of fans who hated the idea of black Hermione gives me great pleasure. I'm not a big fan of this whole play idea in general, and doubt I'll see it, but the nerdrage feeds me. Also, good on JKR for actually following through after expressing an interest in the subject.

12. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Woke up to this and lol'd at the butthurt.

It's not that outrageous; theatre often takes liberties with this sort of thing with no fucks given. Noma's a wicked actress too, so there's that. I'm more interested in whether they're dyeing Paul Thornley's hair or not.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This is great. I love what is happening. :D

I was just running out of salt, too. Good thing the people on the internet can send me some now.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I want to know why they went with a black actress. If there's a reason, who cares.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I imagine because she's a good actress. It's not like it's canon - just like the way the actors looked in the movies wasn't canon.

I mean, just think of the opposite for a moment - passing over a good actress because she was black. That would have been pretty shitty.

16. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    But at the same time, the characters in the movies were all played by British actors and actresses because it was a British novel.

17. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

If she was never intended to be white, then why was Emma Watson cast as the character?

Didn't Rowling have the final say on the castings in the first place?

It just feels like a cheap way to get some publicity for the play.

19. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Hermione never was explicitly identified as white, but she was the character that JKR identified with the most. Could be that nothing was meant by the casting, or that JKR wanted to say that Hermione could just as easily have been black and nothing would have changed. With the scale of reactions, I doubt any of the parties involved will be inclined to share their reasoning, if there was any.

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I honestly wouldn't care if Hermione was originally described as black in the books.

I suppose, as much I dislike the fanboying about film!Hermione it most likely cemented the thought, that I've simply never contemplated the idea that she could be black. Since it's been more than a few years since I read any of the books, other than to look for some specific passages, I have to ask: were any of the other characters (Dean, Lee and the rest), that we know to be black/non-white, ever explicitly described as such? I vaguely remember some mention about Blaise Zabini and his olive skin, but that might be some fanfiction description just stuck in my head.