1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Spinoff Movie - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celestin, Sep 12, 2013.

1. James

James Unspeakable

The whole trailer and transitions between the cuts are weird. Bad. Shit.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well considering the background of witch hunting It makes sense for American wizards to dress more closely to their muggle counterparts.

3. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I wasn't a big fan of the Trailer, although it is a teaser (meaning a better one will show up sooner or later).

At least now we have a better idea of the Plot: a bunch of magical animals escape in New York City, Newt has to recapture them. It's not quite the quasi-Indiana Jones I was hoping for, but it could still be promising.

4. Philemon

Philemon Second Year

I don't know, I thought the two of them had surprisingly good chemistry in the one real exchange they had in the trailer. I think Waterston might be a matter of taste in general though

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm hoping there's more to the plot than "magic trunk develops a leak, needs clearing up". Other than that, little to comment on.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds like Night at the Museum... Lol

7. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

There really isn't a lot to judge here. The costuming department seems to be doing great work though.

8. The G Ranger

The G Ranger Muggle

High Score:
    It's the first of at least a trilogy according to the studio. Next two coming out in 2018 and 2020.

9. jack-a-napes

jack-a-napes Squib

Even the teeny, tiny bit of magical America we see in the teaser trailer is very interesting. I have a feeling that people will either love it or hate how it conflicts with their fannon.

Also, what's with the cobble stones? Is magical america going to be stuck in the 1800s? (perhaps they'll still count as incredibly modern by magical standards)

10. alro2

alro2 Squib

High Score:
    I think the cobblestones are them trying to visually connect it with the original potter-verse we're all familiar with.

11. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Modern? It's not supposed to be a modern movie. It takes place before Harry Potter, and according to what I've see online is supposed to occur sometime in the 1920's. Plus, modern for wizards and muggles are two entirely different things. Societies evolve differently depending on technology or in this case magic. Implying that somehow makes them behind the times is a little silly.

As for the teaser, there isn't much to go on. The premise seems like it could be done pretty well though assuming the beasts are well done and actually look suitably threatening and magical. My only complaint about the teaser is that I really didn't like the way the name Scamander was shouted. It just sounded so weird. Maybe that's just because of the editing though.

12. Silver

Silver Disappeared

High Score:
    This looks incredibly boring. JKR should have continued Harry's story.

13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How exactly? It's one thing to play about with Harry's future in fanfic but Harry's story is done. He beat the bad guy, saved the world and got the girl.

The only way to continue his story is to bring in another bad guy who is even more powerful than Voldemort out of nowhere. Let's call him Snoke.

This not only offers us a look into a different magical culture and time period, it brings magical beasts to the screen. I can see no downside.

14. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

I agree that Harry´s story is finished and they shouldn´t continue it. But if they did they don´t need someone stronger than Voldemort.

Head Auror Harry probably couldn´t even scratch teenage Riddle in a fight so if they don´t give Harry crazy plot armor like in DH even a second class dark lord would be more than a match for Harry

15. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

:facepalm

I haven't realized that there's any information on teenage Riddle's dueling skills, or Head Auror Harry's ones, but I feel there's something completely wrong in your assessment of common magical strength.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's like someone (cough Silver cough) forgot about THE OFFICIAL 8TH STORY WITH HARRY. Only it's a stage play. Not like the thread hasn't been popping up in New Posts, right?

Also, I think if there's one thing about FB that's completely objectively wrong it is thinking it'll be boring because Harry's not in it.

17. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Dumbledore did stuff with his wand on his Hogwarts exams that the examiner didn´t even thought possible and Riddle created a Horcrux (which is pretty impressive even though it is not a duelling skill) as a teen.

So yes Riddle and Dumbledore are in a complete different League than even wizards like Snape so a talented duellist like Harry who in every other magical field like transfiguration and charms is complete average has no chance even if they don´t have as much experience.

18. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Harry did enough magic as a teen that impressed his elders. Again, we have no idea how proficient young Riddle was in dueling, but I'm pretty sure an adult Harry would kick his ass. Do remember that as a fifth year, Harry managed to fight Death Eaters to a standstill. Canon!Harry doesn't look like much, especially when you compare him to fanfiction's Super!Harry, but he was actually on top of the league for his age, and no doubt better as an adult who had years to work as an Auror - a good one, if his position is to testify.

I say it'd be interesting to see him fighting a group with very different tactics to those of Voldemort.

19. Jazz-Meister

Jazz-Meister Disappeared

High Score:
    Well, J.K has yet to really let me down in a major way- HBP was meh, no worse, no better. Honestly, this looks like exactly the sort of movie I would like- fairly lighthearted story with a shit-ton of bigass monsters.

Also, I'm not sure what cobblestones you're talking about really. The ones in-between shots are obviously scales, and there isn't really a solid look at the ground during the trailer.

20. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

No mention of the world-building of the Magical USA yet? In the trailer we see that the governing body is the Magical Congress of the United States (with 30 stars in it's emblem), and the official synopsis release has a new word for muggles, "no-maj".