1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Movies that scared the crap out of you when you where young

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I was just watching Terminator 2 and I had a flash back of myself at ten screaming my head off as the Terminator cut the skin off his arm to show part of his cybernetic body. The same as watching a guy melt in hot lava during the movie Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones.

The question is which movie or movies scared the shit out of you when you were young? Or where you old enough that you where able to watch movies without getting scared?

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Scenes from Poltergeist scared the crap out of me at age 11 and my memory of the face-peeling scene still gives me fantods.

3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I can't claim to have seen Poltergeist and I'm 27 years old. Although torture scenes still bother me depending on how realistic it seems.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

House on Haunted Hill (1999)

Gave me nightmares when I was younger.

Tons of scary moments for a younger me including:

Delicious face om nom.

[​IMG]

The Darkness
    [​IMG]

And there was also this glass cabinet filled with someones organs that always did my head in.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Doctor Who, thirty odd years ago. There were some scary monsters and moments back when I was a little kid.

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    :fire
    Why did I click on that spoiler? Oh, the humanity.

The Ark opening in Raiders of the Lost Ark was pretty horrifying the first time I saw it at age 5.

Old Imotep in all his gooey glory, and in fact much of the 1999 The Mummy, scared me something fierce at 11.

7. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Oh Shit!!! That scene in the mummy when Imotep was eaten alive by bugs. I remember how I closed my eyes and plugged my ears in the theater. My father used to walk behind me and say "Bugs, bugs,bugs, bugs bugs." In a gigglish sort of way. Now I'm like dude that is so much Hollywood BS.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  8. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Kind of weird things freaked me out, namely 'Mars Attacks', which is a comedy. From the aliens to the switching heads thing, it terrified me...I had nightmares about aliens for a long time.

Actually, the other movie that most freaked me out was 'Return to Oz', which also had a head-switching plotline in it, plus quite a few other creepy elements. I love both of those movies, now, but I remember having dozens of nightmares because of them.

I found an article about Return to Oz titled "30 Times ‘Return To Oz’ Was The Most Potent Nightmare Fuel Imaginable" lmao.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Alien and Aliens. Fuck you, H.R. Giger. The whole face-hugger and chest-bursting thing was nasty.

10. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Stephen King's "It" terrified me as a kid. Clowns man, clowns.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

12. TheRedSpeedster

TheRedSpeedster Squib

High Score:
    Chucky. It annoys me how every other horror or thriller movie has either made me laugh or shiver or something but they have never psychologically effected me as Chucky. I was 8 for the love of all Hades.

13. ashland

ashland Second Year

High Score:
    Child's Play was the only movie that made me lose my shit. You see, I had a bunch of dolls, stuffed animals, and beanie babies in my room. I was six and didn't really know what it was about. My mother told me not to so I watched it anyway...while clutching my favorite doll. That night I cut off all my dolls' hair, removed their limbs, and one of my teddies lost an arm. I swear I haven't touched a doll since.

14. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day Nightmare Fuel that is Heffalumps and Woozles.

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Ringu got me really bad and so did The Silence of the Lambs. That little dance in the skin suit rekt me as a kid.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Mufasa dying Scars me to this day.

Then there was this movie in the 90s where a group hijacks a plane and one throws a kid out the airlock as it was flying. Was terrified to go on flights for a couple years afterwards.

Now that I think about it I have no idea how they got the airlock open in the first place.

17. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 1978 version with Donald Sutherland, Veronica Cartwright and Jeff Goldblum. It was the first film I'd seen where the bad guys win.

The Fly (what is it with Jeff Goldblum?) - First in a series of mind-rotting experiences with David Cronenberg films; seeing a sympathetic geeky guy literally fall apart, documenting his horrific transformation...

and speaking of horrific transformations: Fat Man and Little Boy- a movie about the Manhattan Project during World War 2. Seeing John Cusack's ordeal with radiation poisoning was especially painful given all the teen films I'd seen with him as the main character.

18. sildet

sildet Sixth Year

Not a movie, but as a child the blue goo clown episode from Are You Afrain of the Dark gave me nightmares for a whole year.

19. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

Troll scared me horribly when I was a kid in the early 90's. My family had a vhs of the movie and my bastard older brother made me watch it.

20. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Courage the Cowardly Dog: Ramses Curse. Still fucks me up to this day.