1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Movies that scared the crap out of you when you where young

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

OMG... I only saw this movie once, and I wasn't a child when I saw it... and I think I'm glad.

Edit: Okay, so I think I saw a weird version of it, because I thought it was a movie, but it's a TV series. Clearly I don't remember it well, but those Hedgehogs were in part of what I'd seen before.

So drawn out... Watching your clip made me sad.

Edit2: Hahahaha, I looked up quotes... is this a legit "Winter's Coming" from the blue fox? :awesome

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. SirJamezBar

SirJamezBar Squib

High Score:
    For me it was Jurassic Park 3. I remember being taken to see it at the movies and leaving really quickly after a dinosaur appeared, which is weird because I had no problem with the first 2, which we owned on VHS and were watched frequently.

3. theworldspinsmadly@1507

theworldspinsmadly@1507 Muggle

High Score:
    For me it was Ice Age. Even though it's animated, young me was disturbed by the off-screen death of one of the villian. Strange but true

4. Oinyal

Oinyal Fourth Year

Mrs. Doubtfire. That comedic creepy shit? No. No. A man (doesn't matter that it was the father) dresses up as an old lady to trick a mother into watching her kids? It just hit me on a personal level. Suddenly all old ladies were suspect.

But Mrs. Doubtfire had nothing on some creepy circus shit that my dad had on. The starkest memory I have of it was a man unwillingly turning into a (light blue??) python, so he was losing his limbs and he was clearly in pain trying to scream, and there was a syringe and other scary stuff. Really it was the limblessness and inability to communicate that got me. It fucked me up.

ET. I guess I was vain. I thought he was ugly and creepy and deformed, and it was the main reason I hated him. And his white/gray 'death' scene was scarring.

Honorable mentiones: Toy Story and The Brave Little Toaster. I liked both, but they were unsettling, especially by the latter. And The Land Before Time - I loved, but some things distrubed me, like the kiddies almost getting eaten. Mostly it made me sad in the most wonderful way. Alice In Wonderland also creeped me out, though I liked it. But, come on. Those poor clams, eaten by some who was acting all nice. Creepy.

All because he didn't Mu-fasa 'nuff.

NTD
  5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I was scared of ET too, around when the government came into the movie. I haven't seen that movie in ages now that I think about it.

There's also a movie called "We're Back" that had a character with screws for eyes who had these kids write a contract in blood that I remember.

NTD
  6. bbodysplash

bbodysplash Third Year

Well, I watched Scream when I was like 11 and I am to this day afraid of telephones. I remember that I used to think Spirited Away was super creepy as well.

7. applefingers

applefingers Squib

High Score:
    When I was really young around 4 or 5 I used to get scared in Peter Pan when the pram rolls away, I was always afraid that the baby would get hurt.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Half of you guys are like, "Yeah this thing scared me when I was little forever ago!" and I'm all "holy fucking shit that came out when I was already an adult, wtf is wrong in the world."

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I can't remember anything about an old popular show called Melrose Place except there was this episode where this chick was a ghost standing by a pool, I remember it being it freaky when I was kid.

Beyond that nothing really, me and a mate got kicked out of the cinemas because we were laughing through some horror movie. Thrillers etc are way more scary then horrors.

10. asphyxia

asphyxia First Year

oddly enough, Mighty Max did it for me.

on a side note, watching courage the cowardly dog was something I just didn't want to do as a kid. I didn't have a reason dislike it or anything, but i remember being scared as fuck by the cartoon.

11. ILikeLurking

ILikeLurking Second Year

The first movie I can remember watching was Child's play. I was the youngest of a bunch of siblings, so no Disney for me. I watched a lot of horror movies as a little'un.

Oddly enough, not much stuck with me until I was a teenager, and watched Darkness Falls. Really not that scary a movie, but I wandered around a lot at night, and occasionally found myself sure that the Tooth Fairy was flying overhead waiting for me to look at her so she could rip my face off.

There might have been other things that bugged me out, but that's the only one that comes to mind.

12. Zeemz

Zeemz Second Year

Jumanji and Spirited Away. Spirited Away still creeps me out.

13. Cecaelia

Cecaelia Squib

Jaws, and then later a film called Deep Rising (about some kind of horrifying monster on a cruise ship) terrified me as a kid, and to this day make me squirrelly about boats.

Also Child's Play which scared me enough that I think I blocked it out, because I can't remember a damn thing about it.

14. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Just remembered another one that actually gave me nightmares. The Langoliers. Something about those big amorphous blobs with teeth scared the shit out of me.

15. jzk

jzk Squib

Oh my goodness, Jaws. The music still almost gets me today. Plus, back then I just finished reading a book about some kids who went diving and got trapped in a silt-filled submarine, so I went through a few years being pretty scared of the ocean...

16. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Is this the one where a dude gets eaten by a larva like sea-creature and then vomited out with missing flesh but still alive? 'Cause that scene fucking scarred me.

17. karrottop94

karrottop94 Squib

High Score:
    For some reason they showed this movie when I was in daycare. I was probably 5 or 6 and it was terrifying for me. I'll never forget the outline of the man's body that the anaconda swallowed whole.

Despite how scary this was The Ring still beat it by far. For some reason my parents let me watch this with them when I was in the third grade. I was 100% sure that I was going to die until they told me that they had "passed it on" to someone at work. I still did a count down for those seven days.

18. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

The Witches!! Horrifying stuff. Don't know if I could handle it even now.

19. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As a child - Wizard of Oz. Something about it just freaked me out.

As a teen - Strange Voices. A made for TV movie. Nancy Mckeon played a young woman who, as the title states, began hearing voices. Turns out, the character was schizophrenic - which was the entire plotline. Freaked me out because I knew someone who was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic, and the movie brought home the reality that could be me in 10-15 years (when it often manifests).

As a young adult - A Nightmare on Elm Street, part 7: Wes Craven's New Nightmare. By that time, the franchise was hokey and pretty much a joke. But, the way this movie managed to cross the Fourth Wall and make the watcher think it was happening in our world was pretty fantastic for a early 90's movie.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  20. shez

shez Second Year

I lovr scary movies but The Exorcist ruined my childhood. My dad let me watch it alone when I was a kid. I slept with the lights on a month afterwards and refuse to watch it ever again.