1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Movies that scared the crap out of you when you where young

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Am I the only one who realizes that this thread is in the wrong place?

As for movie which scared me, let's see. Nothing comes to mind really. I remember a couple of movies where I jumped when something unexpected happened, but no movie really scared me.

2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Where does it belong then?

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

4. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I would think that one of the moderators would have moved this thread if that was the case.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos Muggle DLP Supporter

Jumanji really sticks out, I remember being terrified but still fascinated enough to keep watching.

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

To hear my parents tell it, as a kid I was absolutely terrified of Clucky the Hen from that Disney animated version of Robin Hood.

7. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

That reminds me of one of the Aladdin movies. Where the genie is disguised as Alladin and gets squeezed by Jafar. He starts struggling and turns blue. Needless to say that's some creepy shit right there.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dark Crystal. Oh my fucking god those bird things.

9. FranzPanzer

FranzPanzer Squib

High Score:
    The Shining. Those twins in the hallway are the creepiest thing ever.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

As a toddler, I hid behind the couch during the transformation scenes, when my dad watched The Hulk on TV.

I think it was mostly the eyes.

As a child, I wasn't really allowed to watch much of anything in the way of horror films, but I've never been bothered much by "spooky" or "scary" things (I accidentally earned the warlock moniker while rather young); it's disgusting things that bother me, because they stick with me.

They have a bad tendency to pop into my head when I'm trying to eat. :mad:

The frog eating a worm in the opening for 3-2-1 Contact caused me more problems as a child than a scary movie ever did.

Gremlins and Ghostbusters were in theaters at the same time, and I wanted to see the latter. My mother thought it would be too scary and took my younger brother and me to see Gremlins. Fucking horrifying. One gremlin gets exploded in the microwave, another is shredded in a blender. And all of that preceded by the process of transforming into gremlins, which involved slimy cocoons that made gross squelching noises... and when they multiplied -ugh- forming those boils on their backs that would pop off and become more gremlins?

Fuck that movie. I had a problem eating anything but dry cereal for ages after that shit.

Ghostbusters would have been a comparative walk in the park for any child, but particularly me (with my issues vis a vis gross stuff), compared to Gremlins.

I would have been 7 years and 7 months old, with my brother being 5 and 5.

The really fucked up thing is that merchandising of children's stuff for Gremlins was huge, and my mother got me a Gremlins eraser, a pencil case, a lunch box...

I first saw this when it aired on TV in the 1980s. I used to know the exact date it aired in the U.S., but I can't find that information, anymore. Suffice it to say, I was fairly young, and in my faulty memory I can remember the sun just beginning to set when it aired, during prime time, so I want to say it would probably have been late summer.

My retention of most things I heard/saw was horrible (I think it was the ADD making most stuff wash right over me without penetrating my brain), and when I was older, I couldn't remember anything about what I saw, other than that it involved rabbits, and that there was a field covered in blood.

The initial viewing of that scene, and the recollection of it, had not scared me, but it definitely instilled a sense of foreboding in me that was rather novel to me in its uniqueness, at that age.

Years later, in high school, I was reading one of Braun's Cat Who... mystery novels and there was a mention in it of a book about rabbits called Watership Down. I wondered if it could have anything to do with the cartoon I had seen, and looked it up. It turned out I was right, and it became one of my favorite books. I've since gotten it in hardback and bought copies for my niece and nephew. I keep an eye out for copies every year at the local used book sale, in case I want to give copies away or replace the paperback I crammed in my backpack and carried back and forth to school with me through multiple readings.

I was looking around for that air date and one website I checked had an "If you enjoyed this movie, you might like..." section under Watership Down.
    Two of the recommendations were Phantasm and Alien. So... yeah. :|

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  11. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

I don't remember movies that freaked me out when I was younger, and any that scared me had more of a transient fear factor passed soon rather than anything long-lasting.

That said, I saw The Cube a few years back (premise: a group of people wake up trapped in this this futuristic looking, kafkaesque maze with deadly traps), and something about the entire mood/tone of the movie really set off my claustrophobia so badly.

I'm not squeamish really, but the movie Hostel is a freaky, blood-spattered gore-fest that makes bile rise in my throat. Could sit through the entire movie.

12. lonewolfcrying

lonewolfcrying Squib

Robcop, the shotgun scene. Where the torture Alex Murphy.

13. Dagon

Dagon Squib

High Score:
    Anaconda. I have an intense fear of snakes. Couldn't leave my house for a week without panic attacks taking hold.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Just saw "Backcountry" I'll never watch a movies with man eating bears again.

15. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Watership down, I haven't been able to make myself watch it since I was about 7. I remember being in bed to scared to reach over to turn on the light, being terrified that the black rabbit would take my soul. Then there was the bit with the fields of blood and when they gas the rabbits.... Uh

My brother can't watch that movie either, think my mum scared us.

16. Darius Daniel

Darius Daniel Muggle

For me the worst that I can remember right now was Pinocchio (1940 Film), I was 4 or 5 I think.

It's got slavery, drinking and smoking.

The last two don't sound that bad now, but at the time my parents had me convinced that they were very bad indeed.

Oh and his father gets kidnapped by a monster, and that's just the high points, most of the rest of the film was quite dark in setting too.

Other then that, looking it up now and having a look at the trailer, the animation and art work is really good.

17. Lina

Lina Squib

One movie that freaked me out when I was younger, was Pippi Longstocking... It is meant to be just a fun movie from the books of Astrid Lindgren but there is one scene where an orphanage is on fire... I was six and after watching this movie I was so afraid of fire and had nightmares for weeks :)

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Random TVTroping reminded me of the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, from the Muppet Christmas Carol. Still my headcanon for what Dementors look like.

19. Idraca

Idraca Squib

Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland

I was really, really young. And it has Cthulhu nightmare tentacle goop behind a door Nemo is told not to open, that promptly swallows all of his friends. I was 5,6,7? Somewhere around there. Nightmares gave me nightmares.

Roger Rabbit.

I was a tad older, and only caught the end. The bit with the real guy and the steamroller? I'm still cringing twenty years later.

Special mention to E.T. I had some stuffed animals that cast a shadow that looked like E.T., which scared me for some reason.

The only other movie that has made my list is Event Horizon, which was my first rated R. Because ripping your own eyes out is better than teenagers seeing boobs.

20. TheDarkMan19

TheDarkMan19 Squib

The others. That fucking kid when she turned into the old woman.