1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

I got a Naruto rec that I enjoy personally, due to my preference for Sasuke-centric stories. It's a bit early on, and perhaps not library-worthy yet, but definitely something I'd keep an eye on, and it's new.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11491197/1/One-Thousand-Nights

The basic premise is that Naruto loses control of the Kyuubi in the Bridge and kills Sakura. Naruto is then put into the ANBU to try and "salvage the situation." Kakashi returns to the ANBU as a captain to assauge his guilt and try and take care of Naruto, who is put under serious scrutiny, pressure, and mental issues. Sasuke gets roped into this, as Danzo effectively uses Naruto's lack of favorability in the council to blackmail the Hokage into recruiting Sasuke into ROOT.

It's good. I like it.

2. sonny_yalin

sonny_yalin Third Year

Good to see a Naruto rec, so I'll give it a go. It looks like it's co-authored, which makes me a little apprehensive because I've never read a co-authored story that I liked. It can be stilted and awkward if the writing styles don't match up well. I'll report back when I've read a few chapters.

3. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It's... acceptable. The 'realism' adds as much as it always does. Nothing. However it is an acceptable way to diverge and I do like how bloody transparent ROOT is being.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

The problem was that it got so convoluted with the cameos and the plot points that...

Well.

^^^

I dropped it after Noveria.

It slowly but surely became less "Mass Effect x DE:HR" and more of an orginal fiction with the skins of various fictions overlayed on top.

It's honestly not bad if you read it all in one go.

It's when you stop and then come back to it that you go "Why the fuck did I ever read this in the first place?"

At least that's how it went for me.

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can anyone else make threads in Other Fandoms --> Almost Recommended? I keep getting the not enough privileges error.

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Pretty sure it's just a renamed "Recycle Bin". I think you're meant to post it in For Review, and if it doesn't get 4-5 stars, it goes to Almost Recommendable.

7. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This.

Anything you consider a 3/5 or above can be put up for review.

8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    New fanfic to recommend, set in Type-Moon universe, after Fate/Zero. Features Waver, published on Beasts' Lair and AO3.

Not the greatest title, I'll admit, but aside from that it's pretty good so far. Prose is quite florid sometimes, but it never gets unbearable or anything.

The reason I'm putting this here instead of For Review is that, first off, it's pretty early. Only been posted a few days ago, so further updates are far from guaranteed.
    Second is that not much has happened yet in what has been posted. It's very much an introspective piece.

I'd rate 3.5 so far. It's pretty good, but it still needs something more to be a 4.

9. Download

High Score:
  10. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I enjoyed the Type-Moon fanfic. My biggest complaint is that Waver really doesn't feel how I've always imagined Waver to be after the end of the war. It's been so long since I've watched Fate/Zero, that could just be me misremembering though.

Tied into the previous point, it also bothers me that Waver seems to accept full responsibility for Kayneth's death and the loss of his family's magic crest. I can accept the family holding negative feelings towards Waver -- grief is far from a rational feeling after all -- but Waver should know that Kayneth never had a chance of winning, even if he had summoned Alexander the Great as originally planned.

Overall I did like the fic though, and even the (minor) complaints I made here could be resolved over the next chapters.

11. Download

High Score:
  12. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

My Trans-Dimensional, Overpowered Protagonist, Harem Comedy is Wrong, as Expected.

An Oreigairu/Danmachi Crossover as we follow Hikigaya mentoring Bell Cranel through the Dungeon. The writing is good and similar in the tone of Oreigairu, while the contrast between typical MC protag (Bell) and the cynicism of Hikigaya is interesting. Thankfully from Hikigaya's POV, so we don't have to bother with the boring thoughts of Bell. It's not a complete canon rehash, though it does hit some of the major plot points. Decent update rate of every two days, a 4-6k words per update.

Still rather new (started last December), but promising and possibly even Library worthy once it has a few more arcs finished.

13. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

Hikigaya is a very hard character to write, and I don't think the author of that story quite has it down. The sarcasm/snarkiness is there, but that Hikigaya seems to be missing the self-loathing that's an integral part of his personality. It feels more like reading about an OC with his name, rather than Hikigaya himself.

It does seem to get better as the story goes on though.

The other problem I have with that fanfiction is a near complete lack of tension. Hikigaya is just way too strong at the start of the Danmachi story line, where nothing can threaten him. I feel like the author tried to mitigate this by placing the focus on character interactions, but they unfortunately felt flat and repetitive to me. Again, this gets better as the story goes on.

I was still able to enjoy reading the story despite the aforementioned problems, but I'd definitely call it a guilty pleasure.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Haven't read the above linked story yet, but this is the best Hikigaya (and incidentally, best Ore ga Iru) fic I've read. Was thinking about reccing it in the library. Let me know what you guys think:

Starts off as a fun, but rather meh one shot that evolved into a proper drama that's actually quite intense behind the funny narrative. It also avoids doing anything too cheesy, and maintains that level of tension and discomfort that was anime.

One of the highlights is Hikagaya's narrative, which remains fun and pretty close to canon - with Japanese memes and anime references replaced with Western meme references.

The other highlight, is the drama aspect of it and exploration of Hikigaya's self hatred. It's like, every time he starts to realize someone may actually care about him, he has this intense need to do something absolutely fucked up to them to prove that he's as repulsive as he thinks he is. It's almost like it's not even conscious - it's like this self defensive, reflexive action. Then afterwards basks in his own self hatred, as if proud of confirming how horrible he is. There are some fantastically cringeworthy moments.

Like the time he destroyed Yui's carefully baked valentines day gift (to him). Or the time Iroha tried to kiss him and he punched her in the face.

But yeah, overall, worth checking out if you liked the anime.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  15. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

Wow. The tension and discomfort is there, alright. But holy cow, it's almost too much-- I could barely read a full chapter at a time without needing to take a break and shift my attention to anything else. Then again, Oregairu itself also suffers from this "problem" (if you want to call it that).

Really though, I loved that fic. The characters were fantastically well written, and although I've never read the Oregairu light novels, at times I felt this story could easily take their place. In some ways, this fanfiction may actually be better because it's very much not afraid to shatter relationships into a million tiny pieces.

By the end of the latest chapter, I'm not sure whether I felt more like I wanted to cry or throw up, but it's extremely unusual for a fanfiction of all things to bring up any feelings this strong. If you recced it in the library, it'd be an easy 5/5 from me.

16. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Escape by Oremarar is an HTTYD fic.

Summary:
    It's ... basically what it says on the tin. Exactly what it says it is. Only it doesn't suck.

It's a good fic, but several setbacks make think that it's just not developed enough for the Library. The first half is very well made, detailed and immersive, with a decent hook and good pacing.

It's the second half of the fic that bugs me. It basically skips the second and third act of what should have been a much longer fic and condenses them to an incredible degree. If it were fully fleshed out and written out as well as the first half, I would have had no qualms about rating this a 4 or above.

As it is, this feels like two separate methods were used to write it. The first half and the second half look like two different fics. The technical quality is the same, but the pacing turns breakneck all of a sudden and the story concludes without too much build-up or conflict, which is a shame because it was setting up for that.

3/5 for the fic as it is.

Oremarar is a good author, and has a few other good fics in his profile.

18. Fredovich

Fredovich First Year

Leaves of Grass Desperate mothers will do anything to protect their children, even sign them up to become child soldiers. SI/ third war era AU.Naruto - Rated: M - English - Drama - Chapters: 6 - Words: 58,037 - Reviews: 310 - Favs: 951 - Follows: 1,137 - Updated: Jan 8 - Published: Apr 26, 2015 - Orochimaru, Jiraiya, Tsunade S., OC

A well written story but a bit slow.

19. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Can we get any more info about what you liked/didn't like? Not really giving us much to go on besides the summary.

20. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    I second this one. Like he said, it's a bit slow, but that's really the only bad thing I can say about it. The writing is decent, as are the interactions.
    What stuck out here is that we've seen everone's POV except for the MC/SI. We have no idea what she knows/remembers, only the impressions of all the characters that interact with her. It's a nice change.

Not open for further replies.