1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Ven Arima

Ven Arima Slug Club Member

Somebody make this happen. Answer our prayers. There may or may not be cookies presented as a reward.

2. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Somehow, this is really good.

It's pretty short as of now, but it's a really interesting FSN xover, or probably more of a fusion.

I know the femslash isn't for everyone, but there's just something about the way it plays out in terms of the servant summoning that makes me smile.

3. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Huh... pretty cool idea. It also makes sense from a thematic point of view, with Ozpin's name coming from the Wizard of Oz. Jaune bullshitting his way through situations, using his future knowledge to his advantage, building up a reputation of being brilliant and wise, and gaining a position of power as a result - despite actually being rather weak.

While I doubt it's actually the case, it is interesting to look at some of the quotes from canon from the perspective that it's a time travelling Jaune.

"I've made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on this planet."

"But right now they're still children, so why not let them play the part? After all, it isn't a role they'll have forever."

"It's not every day that friends are able to come together like this. Time has a way of testing our bonds, but it's nights like these that can help keep them stronger than ever. Nights like these are ones we'll never forget."

It kind of reminds me of the "Dumbledore is a time travelling Ron" theory.

4. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

From Beyond
    by: Coeur Al'Aran
    Rating: T
    Description: Seeing that young man die in initiation was horrifying for her. Even with all her time in the White Fang, she hadn't expected to see such an idealistic man as Jaune Arc die like that. It should have been nothing more than a tragedy... Instead she's now stuck with the lingering spirit of this guy following her around, and no one else can hear or see him in any way. Jaune x Blake

The premise is that Jaune dies during the initiation, directly in front of Blake. He ends up sticking around as a spirit, stuck within a few feet of Blake, who incidentally is the only one who can see him. It's a bit outlandish, but it's rather enjoyable. While it's dangerously close to a canon rehash, it manages to keep just enough different to keep it interesting. The Jaune and Blake interactions are actually pretty well done. Death has also lowered Jaune's inhibitions to some degree, so he's basically full of lulz.

It's mostly a rom-com, but it has had some dramatic moments within the past few chapters that were well done. Jaune's death, despite being treated as tragic by the characters themselves, ends up coming across as rather funny (the first two chapters are filled with black humor).

Overall, a good read. 3/5-4/5, probably deserves to be put up for review at some point in the near future.

5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Maybe it's just the champagne talking, but I cracked up more than a few times at this. Episode 2 is a pretty steep improvement on Episode 1, and the first one was still fairly funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSagoGV1zww

6. Lungs

High Score:
    I'm laughing.

7. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I got bored about 3 minutes into episode 1.

Also, aren't abridged versions supposed to be you know, abridged?

8. Lungs

High Score:
    Also: here's some racism.

9. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

That's some quality racism.

10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  11. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

12. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11525574/1/Dead-Man-Walking-Or-Something

Dead Man Walking (Or Something)
    By: College Fool 
    Jaune only had a ghost of a chance of surviving Initiation. Thus, he didn't. A little dying is no reason to give up his life's dream of becoming a Hunter, right? Even if 'life' is now a bit late... (Warning: morbid comedy. Literally.)
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Supernatural/Humor - Jaune Arc, Team JNPR, Team RWBY - Chapters: 6 - Words: 34,575 - Reviews: 158 - Favs: 363 - Follows: 491 - Updated: Oct 30, 2015 - Published: Sep 25, 2015 - id: 11525574

From the same author as A common criminal or something, A farmer or something and A household macho or something, all of which were already recommended in the thread.

The premise is simple. Jaune dies at the start of the initiation. Like, in the first thirty seconds or so. He comes back as a zombie. The reactions are varied.

I laughed several times while reading it and while it only covers the initiation so far, at a little more than 30 thousands words and with a nice cutting point at the end of the last chapter it is worth a read if you wish to kill some time. If the author ended it where it is left one could consider it complete already. I highly recommend it.

13. Haze

Haze Second Year

Interlunium
    By: AyutaYutyl
    A Huntsman can be many things - protector, guardian, criminal, outcast, savior, destroyer. Regardless of who or what we become, the path of Hunters and Huntresses is one that crosses the lines of life and death; yours, and mine.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure - [Ruby Rose, Jaune Arc] Cinder Fall - Chapters: 9 - Words: 53,013 - Reviews: 88 - Favs: 120 - Follows: 184 - Updated: Jan 17 - Published: Nov 2, 2015 - id: 11593529

This has to be one of the best in the fandom. It features a much darker world than the canon RWBY let on. Relationships are much harder to form because everyone has their own goals and baggage. Especially in a world where they are constantly surrounded by death.

14. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

I think this story has passed the point of 'darker' and is well into grimderp territory.

There are super deadly grimm everywhere, the body count is around 20 at this point (not including the plane crash at the start of the story) and a few of the characters have had their flaws/quirks turned up to 11.

Weiss is a total cunt with a massive inferiority complex because Winter has already done everything she wants to do, except better.

Jaune's internal monologue is an endless loop of "I'm so pathetic, why hasn't everyone given up on me yet????"

Yang has swapped out her supportive tendencies from the show for a mean streak.

Nora is portrayed as a simpleton with a hammer.

The writing itself is pretty good, but I can't bring myself to give this story higher than a 3/5.

15. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I tried to get into it, I really did, but Jaune being such an obnoxious whiny little shit made me nope out. As Kai said, the writing seemed pretty okay otherwise.

16. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I now don't feel as bad as I did passing the story up when I saw it was Ruby/Jaune.

---------- Post automerged at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Anyone know of any decent Malachite twins stories?

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Have you read Four Deadly Secrets? They're reasonably major side characters in that, and probably the best I've seen them written.

18. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Some of you might know that I started compiling all the fics found in the Almost Recommended-Barely Readable Other Fandoms Thread. Well, here it is for RWBY. I took the liberty of going through the Library and the Work By Author as well.

This version is (hopefully) more user friendly. To that end, I've added a few features.

1) As Newcomb suggested, I added a link to where the fic was recommended/discussed to give readers a feel of it.

2) A "Tags" Column was added with 6 options. In terms of functionality, it's like a simplified tag system of AO3.

Dark: Serious, Grimdark, Characters with issues, or "Realistic" stories. Basically anything with a darker tone than canon RWBY (not that that's hard).

Jaune: Story is Jaune Centric. I'm aware that in DLP, at least, many prefer stories that do not have him as the central focus. Stories where the romance he's part of is the focus don't count.

OC/SI: OC or SI Centric stories.

AU: Alternate Universe. Small changes aren't enough to warrant an AU tag. It must either 1) Be a massive AU that changes the setting radically or 2) Have a Point of Divergence that wipes out/alters significantly most canon events. Different powersets alone are not enough. A PoD that makes a story canon-rehashy is not enough.

Rom: Romance. The Relationship and/or smut is a central theme (if not the only focus) of the story. Fluff count too.

Min: Minor Character-Centric. For simplicity's sake, any story where the narrator is overwhelmingly from the perspective of someone not part of team RWBY or JNPR warrant this tag. A note will be included (seen by hovering mouse over the category cell) that says who the character is in question.

Note: It is possible for a story to have none of these tags. Furthermore, most tags rely on either my personal discretion or discussions/opinions on the DLP RWBY thread. A story that claims to be dark or AU will not necessarily receive the tag if I (or someone whose opinion I respect on the forum) deems it unnecessary.

3) Two columns, specifically OneShots/Short/Snippet and Humor/Crack/Parody. These are just Yes/No things that will help someone sort stories faster. Included in Oneshots are multichapter one-shots, or self-declared "oneshot in x parts".

4) A Status Column which tells a reader whether the story is FIN (Finished), UPD (Updating) or DISC (Discontinued). Stories automatically gain a DISC rating if story has not been updated for over a year as of the archive update.

5) Pairing and Crossover Columns. These will only be filled if the story in question has a Pairing or Crossover elements. For the Pairing column, members of RWBY are referred to by their name's first letter. All other character names are spelled out.

6) Five Filter Views. Filter Views are an option in shared Google Drive documents that allow a viewer to filter or sort the stories listed independent of each other. Options include Sort by Author, Sort by Title, No Oneshots, No Crossovers and No Discontinued.

Addendum: Added a little * in front of stories part of the library. These stories will appear first when listed by Title.

The reason I didn't add summaries was because it doesn't translate well into an excel archive of the stories. Hopefully, feaures 2-5 will effectively summarize stories enough for viewers that they can make a (relatively) informed choice.

As the RWBY fandom is small at the moment, I'm using it as a sort of test-run for this new version of the excel archive.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  19. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

Halt

I was going to suggest a word count column, something I always miss when I'm not reading on fanfiction.net or a similar site but I'm assuming your doing this manually and not scraping?

20. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Yup manually.