1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's not enough recognition of the fact that despite being Veela, French and two yers older than Harry, the heart of it is that she's still a teenage girl.

Mythical muse!Fleur and other takes on her are all well and good but I think she's quite enough of an interesting character as she is.

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

One doesn't exclude the other. Imagine the following:

The mythical part is such a rare occurence in Veelas that they only report of it in their lore and in poems anymore. Fleur never noticed before (or maybe it develops during the later stages of adolescence) and once she meets Harry things progress from there: she notices the change and, unable to explain it herself, asks her mother about it.

Following that you have an inner conflict of "I'm a teenage girl suddenly saddled with this mystical and forgotten nature that I can't seem to resist." Or perhaps she listens to her mother and is, at the start, fascinated by it. Everything would be alright were she to stay away from Harry. But the curiosity drives her toward asking "Why is he the one that unlocked this nature?" At that point she might not know about the enslavement and the insanity part as the lore is porous.

When she finally learns about those issues things have already progressed to such a level that they're unwilling to part. They find hints toward a solution and set out to solve it, all the underlying problems still at play.

This way you'd combine the mythical part and the problems that come with it for a teenage girl. In the end they solve the whole issue, coming to the sickly sweet conclusion that they need no magical nature to inspire and love each other. Already happens naturally.

(Or, in a sadder ending, the mythical occurence involes a third part which instigated it [Riddle, Grindelwald, take your pick] and once they solve it Harry is already so far gone as to be dead. From there Fleur goes on to kill whoever was responsible.)

(Or you make it AU and Fleur really is such a fairy, knows it from the beginning, and you go from there.)

The premise provides a lot of options, which is what makes it so great.

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

In all our musings about Fleur's Veela nature, we forget that she's only a quarter-Veela.

And speaking of that, have they actually explained how the Veela race hasn't gone extinct yet?

5. James

James Unspeakable

In canon, we don't actually know that. It's just assumption from Harry's POV (This is supported by quick search for "quarter" and "veela" in the book.)

Also, there was this fic where full veelas were born of muggles, while wizards made witches.

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I think I remember coming across something like that. The basic gist of it was muggles had no natural/magical resistance to the nature of Veelas so they were born full-blooded, right?

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Pretty much. If I'm not mistaken it was Lies I've Lied, I remember that he used something like that at least.

8. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I recall Sesc having a theory that there was no such thing as part-Veelas. I'm quite partial to it myself.

9. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's one of the premise in my When a Veela Cries as well. Veela magic is found in all female children down to the eight generation, but, they must go through a changing in order to become full Veela, and that changing can only be introduced by the Veela Elders - unless the magic is very, very strong, in which case they're probably destined to be a Veela Elder themselves.

10. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

After lots of procrastination, just posted the first chapter of Harry Potter as a fencer. Hope I didn't do your idea a disservice!

Huh, that's a really interesting thread. I love when people debate very vaguely stated things in canon(no sarcasm here, I legitimately love that - I think that those creative interpretations of vague facts make for some of the best stories, and that's a pretty good theory as far as "Would make a fun story" goes. I like that.

EDIT: To elaborate, find the "there must be male veelas if there are still complete veelas around" especially fun. It's so simple yet it completely flew over my head when I read the books haha.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  11. theronin

theronin Order Member

Ugh, epee fencers...

12. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

Epee is the best! No, but seriously I made Harry an epeeist because since he's on the shorter side he's more of a natural underdog which makes it easier to connect his character to Fleur if she's been doing it for a while. That and I'm not that good at keeping track of ROW unless there's a single light so I figured I can write a better story than if I made him a Foil fencer.

Sabre is flat out too athletic for him so I struck that one out. Plus every time I watch my girlfriend fence(she does sabre) I can barely understand what's going on since there's not enough bouncing around for my feeble epee brain to understand, so had to go for epee.

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Okay, suspension of disbelief is officially gone.

Half the time I just go by who screams the loudest. (I'm convinced most everyone does this.)

Oh, and Coach Bob should be dressed in black. Tradition, my friend.

14. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

Totally convinced that's how everyone does it, yeah. I think I wrote that part a tad poorly, I meant for the man to be like "Oh, of course not" and then immediately go "...Wait, what did I just say?" without saying that out loud. Think I'll edit that a bit on a second pass later to make it a bit more clear!

(For future reference in case anyone stumbles upon this thread a couple days from now, current paragraph reads...)

And yeah, you're totally right about Coach Bob. I'm basing him off my very first fencing coach who barely knew enough about the sport to explain it to us and who most definitely didn't dress in black. Should have gone with black though!

15. theronin

theronin Order Member

Oh come on, ROW isn't that bad... ok who am I kidding, I have no idea what the refs are seeing most of the time when I watch high level sabre, but I will say that when you watch slo-mo replays, it does become fairly clear. The mind boggling thing is that these guys correctly identify it in real time...

16. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

High level sabre is seriously almost invisible to me. It looks really awesome but it seriously looks too fast for me to enjoy it properly. Then again, with the new lockout timing for sabre we might be seeing a sabre that is more visible to people who haven't quite ascended to the level of international refs.

ROW to me makes perfect sense in theory, but once in a while you get stuff like this that makes it look a little funny(relevant to the screaming method mentioned above). Then again we got passivity issues in epee, so glass houses and all that.

EDIT: But more on topic -- superfast/loud fencing like that is one of the reasons(aside from personal bias) that i thought it would make a better story for Harry/Fleur if I used epee fencing. I see him celebrating less like Race's banshee screams and more like Jung when he won the bronze medal. Just seems like it fits a romantic story's tone better, you know?

That and I'd seriously need to write everything in Dragonball time to write a good sabre match haha. Overall, hope I can take this story to the places I want to. Think that fencing can develop Harry just in the direction I need him to in order to make the relationship believable, but that's only if I do it well. Hope I do okay in that regard!

...But first, tournament this weekend. Have to practice for that.

17. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

Is there an H/F fic that is updated regularly? A Cadmean Victory ending has left a hole that needs to be filled.

18. Jocelyn24

Jocelyn24 Squib

High Score:
    That ending messed with my feelings lol.

19. SnowBlack

SnowBlack First Year

Nope....all the good ones are old and largely known.....hardly anyone writed Harry/Fleur anymore which is kinda disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
  20. jedielfsorcerer

jedielfsorcerer Raptured to Hell

After going through 50+ pages of this, there are few things that no one has said about how Harry and Fleur could become friends at an earlier age.

It also has to include the Dursley's treating Harry has a 2nd son thought.

1) Petunia has Harry take ballroom dance classes at a local studio. Through this, there are competitions few times a year between the UK and France. Harry meets Fleur this way. They interact, become friends (they are both not old enough to go to magic school yet.)

They even dance together.

For Yule Ball, Harry asks Fleur once he hears about the ball. and she would probably say yes then.

2) Petunia once remembers Lily commenting that Fencing has some aspects to wand dueling, and has Harry join a Fencing club that has some competitions in France. Fleur is also a Fencer, and does the Fencing club where she meets Harry and they befriend each other before they go to a magic school.

3) Music: example they play piano . . ... end up competing against each other at times, sometimes they play together, etc.

Friendship is very important in the beginning of any Romance to start.

Harry is raised to be the "perfect" gentleman, and when the ladies of France show up in their uniforms that are not meant for Scotland weather, he offers his own cloak to one of the ladies (Fleur without knowing it at the time) She accepts the cloak and puts it on, commenting something in French, and Harry answers in perfect french that he is raised to be a gentleman. . .. .. .and they talk for few more minuets, and he offers to show her around the grounds and castle and she accepts . . ... .. ... ...