1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ash, Jun 26, 2015.

1. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Even if Ron was fetishizing the blackness, it may be he's expressing a common Weasley trait- Fred/Angelina, George/Alicia, their best friend Lee, Ginny/Dean, Ginny/Blaise (in fanfiction and theoretically subtext from HBP)...

and Hermione, when pointing him out to Ron, referred to Michael Corner as 'the dark one.'

:sherlock:

2. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Though I doubt this is relevant on page 270 of the Deathly Hallows it says "“He’s fainted,” said Hermione, who was also rather pale; she no longer looked like Mafalda, though her hair was still gray in places. “Unstopper it for me, Harry, my hands are shaking.”" She is also mentioned to be pale again on 480.

3. Pythagoras

Pythagoras First Year

I've seen a picture passed around where Hermione is actually described as being white, but honestly I don't really care.

While I'm admittedly very ignorant of theater, it seems to me like theater castings don't really have a permanence that movie castings do. Just looking at Les Miserables there was a black actor that was cast as the lead, and even for the movie I don't think anyone started envisioning Mons. Thenardier as Jewish until Sacha Baron Cohen and there was no uproar when he was cast.

4. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Here's the Fifty Shades of Hermione list from Spacebattles.

Chamber of Secrets

(Okay, might be having a bit of fun with this one).

Prisoner of Azkaban

(This was after she got back from her summer holiday in France so it could mean tan... People disagree)

Goblet of Fire

Order of a Phoenix

Half-Blood Prince

(Even if this particular shade is temporary...)

Deathly Hallows.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  5. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

discussion got weird. I dont think its disputed that Hermione is white in the books. JKR was just saying she matched the casting in a jokey way.

6. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

People in this very thread have said that she wasn't explicitly stated as white, as if that isn't the most disingenuous statement I've ever read on here.

Never mind shit like this: http://www.theguardian.com/books/sh...lack-noma-dumezwani-harry-potter-cursed-child

7. forgetmenot1996

forgetmenot1996 Squib

High Score:
    Weirdly, I'm more upset that Ron doesn't have red hair.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

You mean orange, surely.

9. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I won't be watching the play and don't give a fuck about Theatre. I don't mind a HP play, but skewtering canon facts and posting sensational shit just to get some publicity isn't what I expected from people involved with HP.

Its canon that Hermione was white. Whoever thinks otherwise needs to go back to reading the books again. If the actress they chose is talented, I have no problem with the casting, except for the fact that makeup cant change a persons skin tone like eyes and hair can be changed.

10. Silver

Silver Disappeared

High Score:
    I don't care if she's being portrayed now by a black actress - it was more of a problem that they used the far to conventionally pretty Emma Watson in the movies - Hermione was not supposed to be a beauty. That's how I read it anyway.

11. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be fair they cast a goofy looking 11 year old kid as 11 year old Hermione, the fact that Emma Watson would turn out intelligent OR attractive was hardly visible to them at the time.

Unless it was, in which case someone is seriously abusing access to the future.

12. _GitGud_

_GitGud_ Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Heck, I already purchased my tickets for march 2017, I'm certainly not gonna demand a refund because the new Hermione looks goofy. However, It makes calling her a mudblood infintely funnier. The story will be mostly about Harry's child anyway, which does worry me since children usually make crappy stage actors.

13. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

I think Rowling likes trolling her fans too much really so don't feed the troll ;)
    also like others mentioned it's normal in theater to ignore actor race so it's pointless to cry about canon screwing or other things like that

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  14. Sirius_Sanchez

Sirius_Sanchez Squib

High Score:
    Perhaps the play should be titled: "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (a work of fanfiction)"

15. crazytop

crazytop Squib

When I found out that the Cursed Child is Albus Severus, I was like "Well, what did you expect when you gave your child that name?" :)
    Still, I'd love to see the play, but chances are slim. Very slim. Hermione being casted black was a bit of a WTF, but well.. why not. Not ginger!Ron is definitely more upsetting - after all, Ron's hair was only described like... 323 times?

16. Mestre

Mestre Professor

J.K. Rowling is doing everything to continue relevant... In a few years, Lily Potter will be Chinese.

I don't understand why the mainstream media is turning well-established characters to other ethnicities. Why do they not just create new characters?

17. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Isn't it obvious? It's just one of many ploys to facilitate the white genocide... Or something like that.

At the end of the day, this really isn't a big deal. If the play's any good, it'll be shown many times over, and casts/crews will likely change depending on where and when it is performed.

18. S1234567890m

S1234567890m Third Year

Man you must really hate Crabbe and Goyles foray into little school girls...

19. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

T_T I just tried to book tickets for July, but it's all filled through January 2017. What madness. Well, there goes the only reason to visit London.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Now that they're going to publish the script, my need to see the play has dropped dramatically.

Joe