1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Supernatural

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, May 17, 2007.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's okay, I think. Still weird. Not sure how it works either. Is Lucifer possessing Castiel who is possessing Novak's body?

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From what I understand, the vessel pretty much is Castiel at this point. Jimmy Novak's no longer in it and Cas has put the body through such a ringer across the seasons, and been pulled back together each time(including resurrection via God). Plus there was that time he lost his grace and roamed around like a human for a while.

3. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was it ever mentioned when Novak left the body? I know Castiel mentioned it around Season 7/8 but did he say when Novak died?

4. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    IIRC when Raphael exploded the body near the end of Season 4.

5. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

So what happens to the body when Castiel goes to heaven?

And are Castiel and Lucifer both sharing the body now or what.

6. Nemrut

High Score:
    Well, it's not like the show cares or tries to strive for even a bit of continuity, so, probably doesn't matter. Cas is probably just dormant and Lucifer is controlling the body.

Could see Castiel leaving this body at some point, though. Then again, doesn't Lucifer have limited time only with a body that is not Sam? Something about his power being to big for ordinary vessels?

7. Nemrut

High Score:
    You know, it's always a bit annoying when the show has an episode with potential but then screws it up.

The whole Alex and Claire thing could have been interesting but instead, Alex's story line was super generic. I wish they had taken the Regent route with her. Someone who is inherently messed up, kinda tries to do better but only barely and generally just tries to enjoy life as it is, not caring all that much for anything. A bit sociopathic after years of playing bait for vampires. But no, she kinda became this jock dating promqueen type, which really isn't really fitting her character, even if it took a vampire to engineer that for her.

Claire was mostly an angry jerk, who was mostly in the right, but still. Wish she would have shown a bit more competence all around, instead she is treated as this dumb kid.

Personally, I feel like this episode could have been improved by showing us Claire and Alex's life first, and bring in the brothers after 20 min or make it a two parter.

So, dunno, disappointed with how they handled the few characters I genuinely like in this show, next to Krissy.

Also really disappointed that there was no Lucifer and Claire interaction.

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

God has returned

Hell yes.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Oh shit what.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You said the ONE thing that could pull me back to this show.

11. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    I won't say that it was glorious. If anything I was... shall we say, shocked, at the characterization. But oh, that arc. From introduction to conclusion, what a ride. Certainly changed my opinion about a certain angel as well.

12. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I was surprised at the characterization myself, but I'm not sure I could think of anything else that would make anymore sense. Is that his personality, or is that the personality he gave himself while going into that form?

With how powerful god must be, anything is possible.

13. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Metatron reading the final pages, that look on his face. I felt some sad shivers. That was good acting, built on a lot of hit and miss stuff from this show over the last few years.

It was cleverly done. We've got Chuck being who he is, singing that song, and Metatron realising how it's all going to play out was just part of the plan all along. That there's only one way it can all play out.

That kind of empathy from a previous antagonist of the show is, just, good writing, which is what gets me over the line any day.

Edit: A literal deus ex machina, now that I think about it. And it worked.

Nae
  14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Right, so I haven't watched this show since it was meant to end at season 6, how good has it been since then?

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic, and suddenly people seem to be enjoying it again…

Good or bad idea?

15. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

There have been some moments of *brilliance*, as well as parts in which they keep making the same mistakes. I got into it for the Sam-and-Dean-brothers-partners-and-friends relationship and that part, adding Castiel, still warms me. Characterization has been my leading motivation in literature.

16. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

You can't go on my opinion. I've enjoyed it for what it was since day one.

I've recently given up on a lot of shows including Castle, Arrow and Sleeping Hollow but Supernatural has never gotten me to the point of no return. Their monster of the week formula allows the main plot not to drag on for too long, or become overly ridiculous, and sometimes you get a rare surprise of an incredibly awesome episode. These tend to come out of monster of the week episodes more than plot episodes as well.

There have been problems of course, but for a show that's lasted eleven seasons, there are fewer problems than some shows that have only been on for three.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  17. Nae

Nae The Violent

Haven't seen this show in ages. Just randomly came to this thread and saw that comment.

10/10 episode.

18. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

It seems the theme in this season but especially the last 2 episodes was inspired by Alan Wake just from a different perspective.

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    I hate to admit it but this season has had way more ups than downs. It's pretty remarkable how after roughly five seasons of roughly 90% shit they turned things around this season, especially towards the end, ever since Lucifer showed up.

The plot episode got more interesting with each one and the monster of the week episodes were nice breathers that were entertaining and fun to watch, with pretty solid side characters.

The fact that the gay married hunter duo didn't die was perhaps the biggest twist Supernatural ever pulled, because even a season ago, those two would have been goners.

Sure, it still repeats a lot of the same mistakes and there are still plenty weaknesses and some inconsistencies. Then there is inherently silly stuff, like trying to escape from an equal to god being in a car and stuff, but hey, they have more than enough awesome, interesting and outright compelling stuff to make up for that.

Metatron especially had a great arc, didn't expect that they would get so much mileage out of him still, especially seeing how big they tanked his character the past season.

So, yeah, going strong atm although I am not sure I believe that they will be able to pull off a satisfying end.

Is this the last season, btw, because I don't see how they can follow up on this. There is literally nothing bigger out there.

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Nope. They already announced the next season. As for nothing bigger, there are few ways they can do it.

They can go back to doing smaller stuff and the next big bad doesn't necessary needs to be more powerful, just more competent and dangerous in his dealings with Winchesters.

They can kill or "kill" God in the finale and the next season would be about searching for his replacement because without His presence the world will be unmade. Add others wanting this power for themselves and it would be a culmination of all times someone wanted to be God, this time the winner becomes one for real.

Or they can actually try do something bigger than God or God's sister though it would only work once. Getting something even more bigger than that in the next, next season would get ridiculous. It doesn't even need to be God's god or something like that. Rather God's alien, a completely unknown being or beings that are nothing like eternal siblings. There was enough suggestions that Death could be someone like that.

Anyway, I really enjoyed past few episodes. In my opinion there is a serious lack of memorable God's portraits in pop-culture. Counting only God as God, not God as Jesus, there is George Burns, Morgan Freeman, maybe that quirky God from Dogma and after that nothing. Chuck makes a nice addition to that list.