1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.10

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Aug 13, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Because usually, someone or something gets plucked.

2. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Clunky Exposition. I hate it in movies. I hate it even more in Fanfiction. Here's an example of what NOT to do, taken directly from a story in the Worst Summaries Thread:

3. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Stories written for a fandom the author has only read fanfiction about. It's like... if you haven't read/watched the ACTUAL story, what are you doing writing about it?

4. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You couldn't be Less Wrong about that even if you tried.

5. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I see what you did there.

6. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    It's probably been said a hundred times already in these threads, but . . .

"Occlumency Shields."

I cringe every time I read it. Not only is it bad writing, it's beyond passe at this point.

7. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'd really love to see Occlumency done well but I'm not sure it actually can be.

8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I thought Rowling did it well, and we all know how much she explained about it.

9. Ghosthree3

Someone in fanfiction though. Like expanding on it but not making it shit at the same time.

10. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Harry needs to clear his mind and cup his balls.What more do you want?

11. Ghosthree3

Well I don't know yet that's why I want to see it.

12. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

• Ron fucks up romantically; contrasts Harry's instinctive relationship expertise and general chivalry.

• Lavender and Parvati are more "traditionally" feminine; are therefore catty, vacuous, and useless. (Lookin' at you too, canon.)

• "Weary" and "wary"—not interchangeable since introduction of standardized spelling.

• Hagrid's West Country dialect is rendered with dropped initial h ("'ello, 'arry!"). Stop doing this, you fools.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  13. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

This is not so much a reader's pet peeve as it is a writer's pet peeve, but...

"When will you update this story?" reviews.

I don't know, it just feels demanding and annoying at the same time to see a review like this to one of my stories. Granted, they're probably justified since my update rate is atrocious, but I always feel my enthusiasm to write that particular story drop when I see something like this.

It just grates me to see zero-effort reviews like this + the (imagined?) demanding tone of the words.

14. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I deleted quite a few of my older stories for this reason. They were shit to begin with but now they can't bug me by posting inane reviews on a story that hasn't updated in years.

15. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    I agree, to a point. But at the very least, it up the review count, if that's worth anything, and it lets me know people are still enjoying the fic.

16. Oblivion2007

Oblivion2007 Squib

I enjoy stories that use science or technology to try and exploit magic, or combine magic and modern technology as a way to improve the wizarding world.

However these stories are dangerous because they line up uncomfortably close to one of my most hated tropes in this fandom; Wizarding World bashing. I don't just mean bashing the society as politically or socially backwards. The Wizarding World has its moments that you could argue justify that sort of bashing, so that isn't as big a pet-peeve of mine. There are stories out there however that bash the Wizarding World as incompetent, stupid, and weak which then leads to the muggle governments invading or taking over.

I swear the next time I read about the freaking Queen of England being the technical ruler of the Ministry of Magic and has her taking over I will explode in a ball of nuclear hate-fire.

The idea that the Wizarding World could be taken down because they don't have guns is ridiculous. Even if you don't think that they could easily enchant something that could protect them from bullets with a bit of research, assuming they don't already have them, you have to ignore the fact that the wizards have already taken over the world.

They are hinted at having eyes and ears in the office of every major world leader and in the books they easily placed an Auror as a close member of the prime minister's staff without any of the muggles knowing. Even just a dedicated group of 10-20 wizards could win the entire war before it began by Disillusioning themselves, apparating to whatever muggle leader they know about, using one of any multiple methods they posses to get that muggle to tell them everything they know, Obliviating/Imperiusing/killing the muggle, and then apparating on to the next guy in the chain of command that they now know about because of the interrogation to repeat the process.

Just one team like that could eliminate the entire political and military leadership of any or every muggle government in short order. Considering they already have Obliviaters who are trained to do basically this exact procedure to enforce the Statute of Secrecy all the Wizarding World would have to do is send the Obliviators after the muggles. Their orders would be to erase all knowledge of the Wizarding World and anything else the muggles needed to do their actual jobs, or heck just take everything and let god handle the now memory-less muggles.

(This post spawned a discussion, which has been moved to a new thread:
    Can science be applied to magic?)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  17. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry Potter and Hogwarts Four
    By: peteroriddle
    After living for centuries, unhappy with how the world turned out; Harry decides to go back to Founders era and help build a better Hogwarts. This is story of journey of Harry instructing the Hogwarts Four and ultimately helping them to build a less prejudiced and academically and culturally better Hogwarts and magical world.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure - Harry P., Founders - Chapters: 4 - Words: 11,161 - Reviews: 13 - Favs: 19 - Follows: 34 - Updated: 23h ago - Published: Jan 25 - id: 11752590

this. why. just kill me.

18. _GitGud_

_GitGud_ Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pollock Palmerston sounds even worse than Hadrian of the noble and ancient house of black.

19. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I think Pillock Palmerston would sound better than Hadrian Black.

20. _GitGud_

_GitGud_ Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Palmerston sounds like the name of a chronic masturbator.

Not open for further replies.