1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Sound of Sorcery by Somnambulus Deo - M - H/G

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Rob, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Title: The Sound of Sorcery
    Author: Somnambulus Deo
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Humour
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: H/G
    Summary: AU, diverges after OotP. A Sixth Year story. As Voldemort's dark grip stretches forth to encircle all, Harry and the Order must find a way to counter him. But, as old forces fail, new powers must rise...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2239836/1/

Well, let's see how many negative reps I'll get for this. Despite it being H/G, it's bearable; the fic itself is downright original, interesting, and riveting. I'm not even ashamed to say that it's my favorite ever. The OC professor is no Mary Sue, and he's got a backstory that makes you wonder about him. Harry is no slouch, either, but it's gradual, and has a POA sort of feel to it in terms of Harry's power slowly gaining ground.

The author is endlessly witty, too, and updates well. It sits at ~275K words.

Enjoy, ye fiends.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

First Chapter; I liked the 'religious opinion' shown in the first section. We are rarely shown other sector's opinion's on magic besides the 'Wonderful' or 'Unnatural' from eitehr extreme point, by using a common minister of a Church the author has managed to get away from either of the stereotypical views.

I'm not in favour much of the second half because of Petunia's reaction- But it has a canon aspect to it, undoubtedly. The reason given for Petunia's attitude is interesting, possible considering everything, although I dislike the idea that MWPP saved her. Harry comforting his aunt is annoying also, but it is understandable considering a certain death. ;)

I can see what Illusive was annoyed about, i don't exactly agree with ginny having even the barest idea's of how to manipulate spells.

it's absolutely reasonable for Harry to forgive Petunia considering she actually gave a abcks tory to her actions.

Don't think it's reasonable? Retards go and read PoA he showed mercy to Pettigrew for much less, and that aspect of his personality hasn't changed much.

Also; Lulz at Tonks losing to G&F at Gambling.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  3. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

This story is so beautiful.

5/5

4. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Sound of Music!HP?

I'll edit once I read. I have nothing against well written H/G.

Edit: Huge fic. Novel length even. I might have to repost by the time I am done.

Edit Edit: Lovely sense of humor, Ginngis Ghan indeed.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  5. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Oh yes, fourth year Ginny Weasley breaks enchantments cast by Voldemort that even Dumbledore can't. SMH

Fics like this always suck, for the simple fact that Petunia, no matter what reason, deserves no sympathy from Harry. Verbal abuse and ten years in a cupboard is not something you can over look. I have no problem with him defending her from Vernon, but all this crappy dialogue with her telling him how much she loved her sister changes nothing. She's not a good person, and she treated Harry like shit. There is no excuse for that.

Err... No, the reason he has so much power is because he and his death eaters have killed large amounts of wizards and witches, and quite of few of them were powerful and talented.

I was so happy when I saw Harry finally put Snape in his place, then this stupid crap comes in.

Because you're a pussy.

Great, everytime Harry gains some balls he blames it on Voldemort.

And other crappy points, such as Harry giving Ron the quidditch captain position, something that always annoys me, as it's a shitty ploy by the author to appease Ron and put him in the spot light, fluffy crappy dialogue in places that simply don't fit, and some other stuff.

Not a bad fic by any means, despite my bashing of it, and it does a good job of staying pretty close to canon (HBP), however its biggest fault is that it does a good job of staying close to canon, and HBP sucked.

3/5, because it's slightly better then HBP.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Tried it a while ago and didnt care for it too much but Ill give it another shot. And once again I hate to agree with Illusive that Harry shouldnt have any pity what so ever for his aunt.

GOD THIS IS TWICE I HAVE HAD TO AGREE WITH ILLUSIVE WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TOO.

7. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

ZOMZ The world is coming to an end... Dranco had to agree with Illusive twice in the same century. Run for your lives!!!

Sorry, couldnt resist :p

8. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The world is coming to an end but not today. I MUST REDEEM MYSELF. SO it cant end :D

9. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

Parts of this story I really enjoyed, the writing is solid and the plot is fairly interesting. The OC is very interesting and there is quite a bit of interesting character development, that said, Harry pisses me off to no end. He is quite powerful and yet seems to have little character of his own and often follows the lead of Ginny without thinking for himself.

If you can get around some of the clichés then it is an enjoyable read with some good humour and action but nothing mindblowingly wonderful.

10. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

This fic is so old its not even funny. I absolutly hate this fic. what TheIllusiveOne said about harry and the like is true and to me harry is nothing more than a little shit and the only skills he got is that he complains too much. He does the talk to talk but no walking.

Fine, he puts snape in place in the fic, u guys really think snape in canon would just stand there quietly and take the brunt of the force like a frozen statue. no, the guy would act and blast him out of his classroom and wouldn't take shit from harry.

Despite that the story is well written and even though its old i still respect the author for writing this fic no matter how much i hate this fic and harry especially.

11. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

i liked it. it sorta doesnt really belong on a site called dark lord potter, but it was good none the less. harry was realistic, and smart enough. i didnt like the orgy!trio thing the story had going on but ginny was realistic and i could sorta tolerate her presence. 3/5. and yeah i read this a looooooong time ago.

12. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

Sure it was loooong. Took me a couple of goes to finish it, but I enjoyed it.

Didn't feel like I had wasted my time having finished it, solid story, deep characters and bar a couple of experiments with some alternate styles it flowed well.

Saying that, maybe its just me having read too many fics were ginny is bashed or maginalised but ginny feels way overpowered and it takes forever for Harry to start comming into his own even after the great beginning in the church and his demand to be included. Its almost like once he reaches Hogwarts he stops being proactive.

Something perhaps a little different from DLP's usual fair

3/5

13. magyareagle

magyareagle Guest

While I can't stand Harry/Ginny. The OC in this fic was definately interesting. Good fic, and I guess sorta belongs here. The fact that it has mantained a fairly high rating here, means that from the Harry/Ginny fics, it is of exceptionally high quality. I'm halfway about whether it should stay at this website. Half of me says yes, because it fits in with the subject matter, the other half says keep it away.
    3/5

14. TheIllusiveOne

Why the fuck is this crap in the Library? It got 3 stars...

Edit: What the fuck? There are 9 fics in the trash bin that recieved 4 stars, and 1 that recieved 5 stars. This crap gets 3 stars and it's in the library??

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  15. Jon

Illusive; 1-2 stars are trashed 3-5 are put in the library.

16. TheIllusiveOne

Err.. No. There are more fics in the Trash Bin with 3 stars then there are with 1 or 2. In addition to that, 9 fics are in the library that have 4 stars, and 1 fic has 5.

There are 67 fics in the Trash Bin with 3 stars and 17 fics with 1 or 2 stars.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  17. Jon

Which have since been rated since being sent there, stories in the Trash Bin can be reviewed if they have received sufficient positive attenttion.

And just so you know, this story has 3.43 stars, and guess what? There are stories in the Library with not even three stars. The offical, as I remember, structure for placing stories is 1-2 stars go Trash bin, and 3-5 go to the Library.

1 Shitty
    2 Below Average
    3 Average
    4 Above Average
    5 Suberb

Is basically what the stars amount to.

18. TheIllusiveOne

Which means what? The fact is there are 77 fics in the Trash Bin that (According to you) belong in the Library, leaving only 17 fics in the Trash Bin that actually belong there. Many of the Trash Bin fics have had the same ratings for MONTHS. That makes no sense whatsoever..

19. Jon

I'm just telling you how it is, i'm not justifying their placement.

20. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

This story shouldn't be in here. Its a crappy fic with dialouge that doesn't flow for me.