1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Stranger Trilogy by serpant sorcerer - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now we're back to assuming that Jono is (a) dead or (b) a doucheface.

2. D-Sloopo

D-Sloopo Second Year

Is there a way for me to read this story without joining the group? Since from what it sounds like, the author has pretty much been in MIA.

3. airveil

airveil Muggle

all I want to know is, is this yaoi? I was told it was and got pretty damn repulsed by the thought of harry and the dark lord together DX otherwise i want to start reading it.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Did you read the rules ?

5. airveil

airveil Muggle

I did indeed and find nothing wrong with my question.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

You didn't.

You don't necro story threads unless you have a legit review (I.e. You've actually read the fic). You did not, instead choosing to ask a question that, ignoring the forum's stance on yaoi, could've been answered by reading the previous posts.

7. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

FUCKING RAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE!

I wish this thread was locked until/if an actual chapter was posted instead of bullshit getting posted time after time.

But to answer the question. Harry uses Voldemort as his ventriloquist dummy, only with his meatpole instead of his hand. It's all ball slapping action with butthole stretching and tonsil jamming. The scene where Draco Malfoy gets double stuffed and reaches out and fists both Crabbe and Goyle is amazing. Must read.

8. Materia-Blade

Materia-Blade First Year

Relatively new to the site but I hope I'm not breaking rules by posting this. I've hunted down chapters of this fic that were not available on ff.net. I couldn't read it at Yahoo groups either, but the best of my searching showed that Yahoo Groups only had up to chapter five. The site listed below has the story posted all the way to Chapter Seven.

I hope this makes a few peoples day, because it sure as hell made mine.

http://carolsheep987.blog.163.com/blog/static/120983458200961764024820/

Just follow the english links at the top of the page. This link is to the beginning of chapter five, right where the fic ends on FF.net.

Hopefully you guys didn't already know about this, cuz if so, sorry for wasting your time.

/bow

9. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Up to chapter 7 is also posted on the Yahoo Group. I dunno if it's possible to get into the group nowadays though; I've been a member since long before he vanished. Assuming that getting into the group is impossible, though, this would be nice for people.

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I wouldn't mind if this story just ceased to exist. It's ship sailed a long time ago.

11. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I'm probably gonna get crucified for dredging up this old topic and getting everybody's hopes up for an update, but I really don't care at this point. Besides, I'm kinda used to it at this point. I haven't given this my thoughts, and considering this is my favorite fanfic bar none, I think I should, especially since I've reread the series over the last two days.

This trilogy (such as it is) is, I think, pretty close to perfection in my eyes. I'll start with Unholy. It has awesome scope (the first story being longer than any of the books) while not going overboard like some fics (read, most of Joe's stuff I've read). The battles are extremely well written, evoking a fluid, easy to follow scene. Jono has also clearly put some effort into researching locations, to the point that I was actually able to plot the climactic London battle between Harry and Voldemort in Google Earth.

The characterization is well done. Voldemort, in particular, is in top form. He is extremely intelligent here, much more so than in canon, and he will often keep the reader guessing. Take, for instance, his plan to overthrow the Ministry: it's obvious his capture is a ploy designed to help him. You know it, Harry knows it, everyone with a brain cell knows it. But you don't know how it fits in with his plan, and so knowing it's a ploy doesn't help. Other characters get their own moments, though, like Snape, Dumbledore, Flamel, and of course Harry. It's refreshing to see characters acting smart for once.

What is probably my favorite part of the story, however, is one that many on DLP probably think detracts from the story: the Muggles. Many on DLP think that Muggles should stay out of Harry Potter, thank you very much, but I'm quite the opposite: the two almost irreconcilably different cultures have a great deal to offer each other, and I love stories that show that neither one is better than the other, and that a lot of problems could be solved if they worked together. Unholy is probably the story that does it best: the Muggles are instrumental in ending Voldemort's reign - not by replacing the wizards, as some cliche stories that want to show how Muggles are so superior than Wizards would do, but by supplementing wizards with their own skills. This type of cooperation is too rarely seen in Harry Potter fanfiction, which is unfortunate for me considering my love for it.

Then we move on to Promised. Many of the elements that made Unholy great are present again, including great characterization. Riddle has more point of view time in Promised than in Unholy, and I think it shows him as a terribly conflicted but superbly intelligent man. Grindelwald is an excellent contrast to Voldemort, retaining the terrifying presence while not feeling like a carbon copy of Voldemort. If I have one complaint here, it's that Katie is a bit too like Harry, which is probably at least partly intentional on Jono's part.

The action scenes are once again great, particularly Harry's fight with Grindelwald in the Ministry. They suck me in like no other fics have before. I usually skim detailed battle scenes, but I feel almost compelled to read these in-depth. In fact, in both Unholy and Promised, Harry reminds me very much of Christopher Nolan's Batman - he's even called the Dark Knight! Almost every time Harry is in action, I have Molossus playing in my head.

This is a fantastic series, and is the easiest and most honest 5/5 I think I'll ever give. I sincerely hope that Jono will make a miraculous comeback and finish his saga.

And he might. This is not just a post about my review, I've noticed a few things that make me think that Jono may be lurking about. First, there is this that Blaise posted some time ago:

But when I clicked the link today:

[​IMG]

Assuming that this isn't something Yahoo did automatically, and assuming that Jono was the only one who could get into the account, then this implies that he's alive!

Another thing that I noticed (and this could very well be my mind playing tricks on me) is that I thought that the story seemed... different. Slightly. Things were there that I didn't remember being there last time I read it (and I last read it on his Yahoo group, just as I did this time - I already know that there are differences between the Yahoo and ff.net versions). It almost seemed more... polished. The date on the file uploads haven't changed, but I know that on ff.net, if you change something in a chapter but don't upload a new chapter, the last updated date doesn't change. If my mind isn't playing tricks on me... it could mean he's polishing his story for an impending update. It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Anyway, I should bring this to an end. It's probably the longest post I've ever put on the internet.

12. MiLLo

MiLLo Squib

Can you elaborate/give an example?

I've read this story (and semi-sequel) many times, and know it as well as I do canon. (It's on my kindle and everything!! :D)

I've almost long since given up hope, but at even 24, any potential for an update to stranger makes me a very happy man-child!

13. Darth

Darth Third Year

The story can also be found at http://strangerinland.weebly.com/index.html. I'm not entirely sure if this is what the author wrote since the second story seems to go significantly beyond what is on fanfiction (or at http://carolsheep987.blog.163.com/bl...0961764024820/ - and I have no clue about what is on the yahoo group).

The most memorable part of when I read the story half a year ago was towards the end of book one when everything seemed to fall apart. I simply did not have the strength to go on *reading*. This wasn't because the story was badly written at that point; I just didn't have the heart for it. I don't know how the characters managed to continue living in the situation they found themselves in. I had to skip a few chapters and get to the end already (because I was really hoping for a happy ending of sorts).

[Hmm.. my first post after more than half a year of browsing... This actually reminds of why I made this account - so I could read that Boy Who Lived story by The Santi. I actually google searched for it to see if more chapters were available beyond fanfiction. I did the same thing with this story.]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  14. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

That person just got the stuff from the Yahoo group and shared it with the rest of the internet since Jono hasn't been accepting people to the Yahoo group for a few years.

15. Mike Average

Mike Average Muggle

High Score:
    I read this a couple months ago. And I gotta say. THIS. WAS. BRILLIANT!!! One. It has a great plot. Better than other dimension-hopping fics. Two. When Crouch Jr captured the Order members at the ministry, There was a great moment there. I was hoping that they were alive. That was one of the times where I genuinely felt emotion in fics. That was how great it was! And, Finally. Three. When Harry defeated Voldemort. That moment was also awesome.
    Stripping Voldemort's Magic was awesome to imagine. The Battle was awesome. I was also worried that some of the characters would die. To finish this post, I say, Read this! I recommend this fic. If you like dimension-hopping, Awesome Fight scenes and a amazing plot. I recommend this fic. Voldemort in a position of power was brilliant!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  16. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Hi Mike, you're obviously new 'round these parts, so a friendly note regarding thread "necromancy" - if a thread hasn't been updated in over 30 days, have a good think on whether it's worth reviving (this wouldn't apply if this story had updated, but as it's very firmly abandoned, reviving the thread should probably be avoided).

Again, there are certain exceptions to this: updates, reviews (which yours qualifies as) where they might Kindle discussion again.

However, this thread has laid fallow for 4 years. As such it should have been left in its grave.

Welcome to DLP.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The library is exempt from Necro posting rules, as long as it is a decent review. I'd say this qualifies, barely.

18. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Ah, damn, forgot about that. I'll make a note in future, cheers.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, since we've bumped it anyway...
    Mike Average - I believe there's more of the story available here, if you haven't checked it out already. Someone uploaded chapters that had previously been available only on the yahoo group.

20. Madval29

Madval29 First Year

High Score:
    This may not be the right place to post this question. But didn't the person reviving it mention some slight changes to the story that could indicate a new post was coming? Should the person have waited until the possible new post then?

Sorry, I'm still new, but I honestly love this series. I found some version of it and I loved the first story. But I also like the role reversal of Riddle and how that affected the characters lives. Also, I like how Harry wasn't some super being in the new universe. Harry was still flawed from all that he went through and his struggle to connect with Katie in his human form really shows that.

I'm pretty sure I didn't give any spoilers. I would definitely recommend the story to anyone who likes alternate universes. But I would probably suggest stopping the second to last chapter after the first book. Just to ensure you don't get stuck in the purgatory that is waiting for a possibly abandoned story to update. If you end early you can come up with a softer ending if you want.