1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

SSD Upgrade From HDD - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Aurelius_8, May 2, 2016.

1. Aurelius_8

Aurelius_8 Squib

High Score:
    Hello

I was wondering about any SSD Recommendations. I have been looking into the Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB and the SanDisk Ultra II 960 GB SSD. I'm looking for about a terabyte and some software that can use system DRAM as a cache like RAPID Mode on the Samsung and nCache 2.0. Size is 2.5 mm and 7 mm height. SATA III for the interface.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I have a Samsung 850 Pro 256gb that I've been very pleased with, but I'm not familiar with RAPID mode and whatnot so your request is slightly beyond my knowledge.

If you don't get a good response here, I've found HardForum to be great for these sorts of questions.

Welcome to DLP.

3. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I bought the 1TB 850 Evo about a year ago to put in my 2011 MacBook Pro and it's worked like a dream ever since. Certainly improved my user experience (boot time is ~15-20 seconds instead of four minutes) and hasn't crapped out, though YMMV of course.

I actually find it kind of crazy that there's (apparently) a 2TB model now...

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I had the older 840 that had the slow degradation issue, but still, it was a great SSD. I'd imagine Samsung 850 is just as good. RAPID Mode worked well, but IMO, it's overrated unless you're doing a lot of harddrive intensive work with quick read-writes of the same files, or you're planning on using a decent portion of it as page files. Also, don't forget you'll have to leave 20% (Don't remember exactly, others can touch on it) of the SSD unformatted "For best results." Although, that may have changed. Again, others can touch on it.

If you have the room, may I instead suggested a PCIe card? I switched to Kingston PCI-e card and am getting Read speeds of 1232 MB and Write speeds of 651 (Sequential - Crystaldiskmark). There's better ones out there, of course, but I haven't been disappointed in this at all, and that's after switching from the EVOs.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  5. Aurelius_8

Aurelius_8 Squib

High Score:
    Really? I was unaware of that limitation. so I would have to give up about 200 GB and 4 GB of my RAM for RAPID. Well that's definitely not worth it. Thanks for informing me.

---------- Post automerged at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

4 minutes! That's really long. Even my old HP with a hard-drive took only about a minute. Anyways the 2TB version is very expensive with Newegg still selling it at MSRP. Sounds like the 850 was a good choice for you though. Thanks for replying.

---------- Post automerged at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Thank you for the welcome. So far DLP hasn't been the nicest place but it is good at what it does. Did you have a particular reason for getting the PRO? I was looking at the Price/Performance compared to the EVO and the Pro was more expensive for basically the same product. Also is 256 GB enough for you?

6. KGB

KGB Headmaster

If your willing to spend the cash for a 1TB drive go for a m.2 drive that works in a pci mode. I have a Samsung 950 pro and it's been a great. It has read/write 3-4x that of a ssd and isn't being held back by sata.

By using part of your ram for catche I assume you mean something like RamDisk? Because nCatche is stored on the drive itself as I remember. I have only tried setting up a ramdisk once. While it did work I didn't notice any great improvement, but than again I only had it set for a couple of gigs might be different if you can make it decently sized.