1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Celestial Requiem by Raven Dragonclaw - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Feoffic, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Title: Tears of Twilight
    Author: Raven Dragonclaw
    Genre: Drama/Humor
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 40,240
    Updated: October 3, 2004
    Published: July 14, 2004

Pairings: None
    Category: Either General or Independent
    Summary: Harry, much more cynical and worn from 5th year, wants to be heard without discrimination. He wants to learn how to deal with Voldemort on his own, being the best that he can be without conforming society's mold for him. Enter the writer, Harrison Evans

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1964223/1/

This fic is old and has not been updated in a long time, but it makes for an entertaining read none the less.

4/5

Checked by Minion, March 17, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Ah, I remember this. Rather original idea of how to deal with the corrupt wizarding world and Voldemort.

Unfortunately, it all came apart in the second half; When other people started writing articles too, the whole 'secret journalist' thing lost its appeal, as Harry became almost a secondary character. Good thing this story got abandoned before super-kids corruption had a chance to spread even further...

3.5/5

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm...I'm a bit suspicious...I too read this story a while back and found it greatly enjoyable, yet I don't think it was written by someone called Raven Dragonclaw...plagiarist alert?

4. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I don't think so. Raven Dragonclaw has quite a few stories to her name, including the Elemental Series (comprising of Elemental Sight, Elemental Malice, Elemental Genesis and Elemental Prophecies). I'm pretty sure that I've read this story and that it is a Raven Dragonclaw fic, the fic title rings bell and I seem to remember it being this author that wrote it.

For those that do like this fic there's also a side story, Case 546: Harrison Evans at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2044963/1/. I've not read it myself, nor have I read the story this thread is about all the way through.

I'll have a glance at Celestial Requiem later and see why it is that I lost interest in it the first time around.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  5. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

Raven, who is a she, wrote Celestial Requirem, along with a fic where Harry is horribly abused and is taken by the goddess of darkness who is very nice and not at all like the goddess of light who is horrible and cruel to the Elementals. There, the Amnesiac Harry learns of his elemental powers, is adopted, and is tutored by Tom Riddle who was chucked out of his body by the Demon Voldemort who works for the goddess of light.

Truthly I thought this was a bit overdone. I loved the concept in the first book, however the fact that he told Hermione and that they set up a group of 'secret journalists' sort of bugged me. It is written with Dumbledore saying that the teachers were using Legimency to find out who the writers were, however despite none of them, except perhaps Harry having Occulemency, they were not found out.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Raven did indeed write this story. I read from the first chapter. Good story, but tapered off a bit at the end with the group of secret journalists. It was much better with just Harry writing. Interesting nonetheless.

7. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

I quite enjoyed this when I read it, it made a nice change to see an intelligent and subtle Harry well done rather than an angsty character who needed a girl to save him (I read this shortly after OotP). The super friends were the story's downfall as others have stated but I probably could have ignored it if the story had continued and if they were developed more, as it was, it left me feeling quite disappointed with the story simply due to the point where the author gives up.

8. Shuujaku

Shuujaku Fourth Year

I thought it was pretty pimp until it turned into a group writing effort.

3/5

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Yeah this one is all Raven to the best of my knowledge. Though it's been years since she updated. I'm usually the first to condemn authors who constantly need to make other characters as "special" and "unique" as Harry (super-power!Ginny ranks up there with up with "Rocky V" as travesties against humanity) but the use of other 'authors' in this didn't bother me in the slightest. Just for the fact that it gives us a somewhat differing voice in the articles. Harry has his opinions and presents them well, but I'd like to hear clear rational editorials from people with differing opinions, perhaps those raised pureblood with an entirely different view of the wizarding world.

The idea that Draco would be used for that sounds like the worst sort of fangirl wank, but I suspect if Raven did it, I'd still enjoy it.

I even found myself fascinated by her short NYC private investigator in the spin-off side story Case 546. And everything about that character on the surface sounds completely uninteresting to me.

For my tastes, other than the fact that it's a WIP or at this point possibly abandoned, this is fantastic. Excellent writing, completely original concept, and the sort of fic I never thought I'd enjoy this much but if there was ever an update I'd probably drop what I was doing to read it. 5/5 without doubt.

Occasionally reads a bit elitist and heavy-handed, but overall this is brilliant.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, I can see how including people with other views into the writing scheme could be a good thing - polarize the society and then make the full scoop when one of the 'ringleaders' admit the defeat to his counterpart (the idea that Peter Wiggin and his sister had used in "Ender's Game").

But in this story, this 'diversification' made absolutely no sense. Harry was inducing people left and right, without any sense of order or purpose. It seems the author included certain people into the writing scheme simply because she wanted to expand Harry's group of confidents and friends, and not because they were really necessary in the grand plot.

Thus, somewhere along the line, Harry had lost his purpose in this story. He was no more THE Harrison Evans, a mysterious columnist who's rocking the wizarding world from its shadows. No, he was degraded into just another foolish little grasshopper, hoping they could change the world with their petty idealistic scribblings. And whoever Harry Potter is, he definitely SHOULDN'T BE just a tiny, insignificant screw in machinery.

And THAT'S why I was glad this story was abandoned, before this trend spread even further and ruined the rest of its initial idea and atmosphere.

11. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Those "articles" that the group post in the Daily Prophet are incredibly insightful. Even for fanfiction. And I don't think there'll be more than 4 writers. One from each house. 5/5

12. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Could've sworn this was already posted, eh maybe it was just discussed before. Anyways love the story 5/5. Though i disagree on the loss of focus, the storyline still focuses on Harry the author just needs to be able to open talk about what Harry is doing in an effective way.

13. Kari Black

Kari Black DA Member

I'd give this 4.5/5

I loved the general premise for it, and the author pulled it off brilliantly for the most part. I hate it when I read abandoned stories though. It only suceeds in frustrating me.

14. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'd like to point out that this fic has not been abandoned but merly is on hold.

15. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

When I saw this thread, my first response was: "Holy Crap! Is this author updating again?"

Not so much, so thanks for nothing. :(

Her body of work (including this story) is well worth reading, as long as you don't mind reading abandoned WIPs -- and yes, after 2 years without a peep it's safe to assume that she's not spending a lot of time writing fanfiction.

-Sean

16. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    A good read but still i like more action based fics but oh well,

and it was so much better with just Harry and Hermione even if i don't like her a whole lot as shown in my story "the Black sheep" which is probably in the the trash bin,

it could use and update before i give it my final judgement 'so mote it be'.

17. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

DAMMIT! I had the same thought. 'walks away grumbling profanities.'

18. haroon_angel

haroon_angel Fourth Year

Yes Its True But I Like This One

19. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Hmm, I loved this story. 5/5 in my book. I'm a mod on her yahoo group, and things have been pretty silent, although apparently she committed to writing some more fanfiction over the summer. I also talked to her over msnmessenger a little bit, and she mentioned something about college. I suspect she's a freshman now.

20. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

I used to really like the fic but for some reason i have gone off of it altogether, it just didnt seem to flow right for me reading it again. still gets 4/5 because at one time i thought it was brilliant but now.... not so much