1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gizmore, May 11, 2016.

1. quixoticcool

quixoticcool Third Year

High Score:
    I gotta admit the mechanics changes they've advertised don't really seem like enough to justify a new full price game purchase. I'll probably wait until it becomes more apparent how many features have been left out to put in DLCs before i consider purchasing.

2. Ecthelion

Ecthelion Second Year

Remember those "Such and such person has traveled the world and conducted a survey of the Most Populous/Most cultured/etc cities/nation/etc" pop up screens that would show randomly in between turns in earlier versions of Civ (Civ II Gold, for sure)? I always missed those, hope they bring it back. Adds a little flavor. The rank page just isn't the same.

3. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Here and here is some gameplay ftom quill18.

It's better than I thought, I can live with the graphics.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  4. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Video removed :(

5. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Still working for me, though I don't have time to watch it right now D:

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Works for me, and I actually quite like the graphics.

7. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Really? I mean I guess I could get used to them over time but so far they remind far too much of mobile gaming than I am comfortable with and lack the "seriousness" of the previous civs.

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    - I like the graphics, they do work. The fog of war is quite nice, and I can imagine that the style of map might change through the eras. It is cartoony, but it makes things more distinct at a distance, and it isn't horrific up close.
    - Workers getting used up is an interesting idea, not sure whether I like it or not yet though.
    - Civic tree seems like a good idea, and it's not just that they've smashed together all the social trees from V. Pick your government and then switch what policies you want to currently use... I like the idea, as it stops you just adopting everything, but it seems like it could well be restrictive compared to V.
    - The agenda thing seems familiar. I'm sure I remember someone "leaking" this a while back. Not sure how much this differs from the AI in V, but it does seem to be specific things to trip it, rather than generalities.
    - Different sorts of war means long term hatreds are going to be a thing. If you can get away with less warmongering just because "they started it", then AI diplomacy is going to get a bit more tricksy.
    - Not sure how I feel about roads being built by traders.
    - Some shores like like cliffs. Do we think this might mean you can't just land onto any coastal tile?

One thing I'd like to see would be customisable nations - pick a unique building, unit, and bonus from all the ones in game (maybe an extra couple to pick from too). Maybe link it to games you've won - once you beat a map with America, you can select American uniques for 'you'.

9. Theunderbolt

Theunderbolt Squib

High Score:
    Being able to decide the aesthetics of the buildings would be cool.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do like the idea of the cities spreading out over multiple tiles, but I don't really understand how it works with the number of workable tiles still having a fixed maximum. Doesn't that mean that the more stuff you build in a city, the fewer resources that city can work?

11. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yes. Well... Sort of.

One of the examples was a military outpost. It is where your troops are deployed from, rather than your city, and it also can bombard enemy troops in the area, making it nearly twice as hard to capture a city.

I don't think that everything causes the city to be bigger - it still stays at one tile. But you can add districts on to that, which also take up a tile. Building a shrine won't take a tile, but building (for example) a full plaza to the Gods would. And it would add bigger benefits than just a single faith a turn. Maybe it doubles all faith produced by surrounding tiles, or it allows you to turn faith into culture (or vice versa).

So I think you can still just not use them, and have your city stay at a single tile. And sometimes you'll do just that.

That said, I don't know for certain.

12. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Envoys and City-State Mechanics

Those scaling bonuses seem like they get pretty hefty, making City-States much more valuable than in Civ 5. Click on the actual pictures to see more than shown.

13. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

2 weeks until release, still... not sure if I want to buy it. :\

Civ Space was a giant fucking let down beyond all comprehension.

15. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think a lot of the problem with that game was that Civ players are generally fond of the historical aspect of the game and seeing things like Gandhi stockpiling nukes.

If they've fixed the multiplayer issues that plagued V I can see if doing really well.

16. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I've been following along with the reveal releases, and browsed civfanatics here and there, so the general systems and mechanics seem appealing enough to me.

If nothing else, I'm certainly up for a DLP game, providing, as Seratin said, the Multiplayer isn't malfunctioning.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Everything I've seen about this game looks good, but to be honest it feels more like a Civ 5 mod than Civ VI. I probably won't buy it unless expansions come along which significantly add features that give the game significantly more depth or scale. Otherwise it just doesn't seem to be any better than Civ 5, just a variation of it.

18. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

If it ends up as little more than a re-skinned Civ 5, I would still probably be okay with it. Civ 5 has a ton of replay value. From the videos I've watched, the game does look good, and I do think I will be buying it.

19. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

From the videos I've been watching, it looks like Civ 5, but with another expansion, maybe? Hopefully the multiplayer will work better than their last few games- if so, I think it'll definitely be worth the buy.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I look forward to seeing Gizmore is now playing Civilization V replaced with Gizmore is now playing Civilization VI as soon as this comes out and then every day afterwards. :D