1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Absolution by Quantumsheepery - Worm

Discussion in 'Worm' started by Oz, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Title: Absolution
    Author: Quantumsheepery
    Rating: T
    Genre: Canon Divergence
    Fandom: Worm
    Pairings: Future Amy/Victoria
    Summary: In summary, this is a Worm divergence where Lisa's revelations concerning the Dallon family in the bank scene of Arc 3 take a rather different form, and a bushel of butterflies ensue. Victoria/Amy POV, alternating as the mood takes me.
    Link: SpaceBattles

Really enjoying this fic. POV switches between Amy and Victoria. Characterisation is good and the POV switches manage to keep either from getting stale.

4/5

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Unique and interesting concept.

Amy's story is great and I'm loving the fact she's predominately interacting with Lisa instead of Taylor (which I've never seen beyond The Girls Who Can't Unplug) and the other POVs are interesting, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy Victoria's POV at all (and part of that could because a protagonist in the Wards kills any fic).

I think it's too early in the plot to really give it a rating though. We're really in the beginning stages. Could go a lot of ways from here...

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Haven't checked out the latest chapters but still, like this story. Original and interesting premise and I like both POVs, Victoria's even a bit more. Dunno why but the Tattletale or Undersiders in general seem a bit off.

3.5-4/5 so far.

4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

So, some of you may not be reading this because it's not from Taylor's POV. I didn't either because of that, but when I did, I realized that seeing Taylor from Amy's pov is actually pretty awesome.

Give this a shot. I'm enjoying it a lot. Definitely 4/5.

5. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    We need more fics that don't have Taylor as a main character. This story has an interesting premise right now, and the POVs are well written. Amy's chapters are a bit more interesting, just because she has more issues and we have the whole Amy/Lisa dynamic (another one of my favorites), but Victoria's chapters are still pretty good. I think that the author did a pretty good job keeping her interesting, and I can definitely see room for growth for Victoria. It's a little short right now, but this is definitely something that I would be willing to keep up with.

4.5/5 for me right now. Hopefully, the quality stays consistent in the future, since a lot of these endeavors tend to fall off in quality as the story drags on.

6. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

I'd like to give this a read because seeing Taylor from Amy's perspective sounds great, but before I do that how strong is the creepy mind control incest in this?

7. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

It's a pretty good fix; 4 star worthy. I hate Amy, though. I really can't stand her. But that's Wildbow's fault. Kudos to the author for getting the character right. Seeing everyone from her perspective is pretty cool too.

8. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I am of the opinion that Taylor is most fun when she is Skitter, and when she is not the POV character but a still a main, secondary, or peripheral character in the fic. She's a really fun piece to be able to glance over and see on the board, but we've spent enough time in her head.

On topic, this fic is a total 5/5, has potential to be one of the best in the fandom if it ends up being completed. Even though I anticipate Amy's sections more Victoria's always impress too.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

The whole Bakuda fight was done really well.

In the big scheme of things, Bakuda was a nobody. She only briefly for one fight in canon, she didn't have the reputation of Lung, Kaiser, Accord or any of the big gang leaders, she wasn't a reappearing character and generally just had a pretty typical B-grade villain character. Because of that, the fandom in general pretty much ignores her. She's treated like a Merchant cape, wiped out by whatever AU power Taylor triggered with.

What this chapter made me remember was that when we get to this arc in canon, Bakuda is hardly a nobody. In the world of unwritten rules and etiquette that Taylor (and the reader) have just been introduced to, Bakuda was terrifying because she didn't give a shit. She was killing anyone and everyone without fear or reason. She was the first time we really feel Taylor could actually die.

We forget about it later on, because all of that becomes pretty standard in the post-Leviathan landscape of Brockton Bay, but until that point, Bakuda was a terrifying obstacle.

I'm pretty happy that Absolution actually made me remember that.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I gave in and read it, despite how many Amy-centric fics I've seen fall off cliffs on that site. It's looking good so far, but there are some issues that have struck me. The anti-bug bomb being used to shift the focus from Taylor to Amy for this scene was good, but it does come a bit out of nowhere considering how things went in canon. If Bakuda had a bug bomb available, why didn't she use it then, when she really needed it? These things have to be explained, even if it's just as a handwave.

That said, it's just a minor nitpick that is easily rationalised. I did like that a lot of that scene was drawn directly from Worm. It shows the author has put a lot of attention into the detail of the fic and I think he really nailed Bakuda's character in this.

Also, I now remember why I hate reading Spacebattles comment sections. It's like they expect everyone to be perfectly rational all the time, even after being knocked unconscious, tortured or worse.

Definitely an interesting fic, though. I'll be following it from now on.

12. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

I've kinda enjoyed them for the last few updates if only because so many of the authors responses to "you're being mean to my favorite character and giving the bad guys a bunch of advantages they didn't have in canon" are just to point out that the exact same thing happened in canon.

13. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This updated yesterday.

I'm of the opinion that this is hands-down the best currently updating story (excluding notes' fic - I'm holding off on reading pt. 3 until it's done). Between the flutters of hope and subsequent falls into clawing horror and desperation, the sharp wit and goofy humor, the author really nails Worm's emotional tone. Combine that with on-point characterizations for damn near every character, I wouldn't be shocked to find out Wildbow was maintaining an alternate identity and playing with his original protagonists.