1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.10

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Aug 13, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I agree entirely. The Three Laws aren't the end-all be-all of robotics.

However,

Why would anyone except hipsters do things "ironically" in the first place is beyond me.

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe I could have phrased it better: It's acceptable to discuss the topic, to have a stupid person suggest it seriously in story, and it would be acceptable to parody it.

3. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

My problem isn't with an OC Harry, he kind of needs to be. All I was saying is I like the starting position of Harry's history, and who he is to other people. After that I like to see him bent into new shapes and do interesting things. That is what I meant when I said I like him as the primary character, not that he has to stick to his canon self. I don't believe I ever talked about liking his canon character - if anything I've done the opposite. I just like his starting point and the world around him and don't have much interest in many others. I'm sure it's limited, but I like what I like, can't help it.

EDIT: The forum has been doing weird things with regards to redirecting me to new posts recently. I now see this is a few days old but I got taken to it as if it was new. Can't remember if I already replied or not, or if I'd even seen it.

Anyone else noticed in particular that sometimes a new page in the thread is sometimes visible but clicking it simply takes you to the second last page again also? Weird stuff happening.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  4. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Lily was definitely part of the equation though, in the sense that he reminded Snape how Lily married James Potter.

5. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    That's stretching things more than a little. Since, again, his hatred is not about Lily but the fact that he's James Potter's son.

I mean you need to bend over backwards quite a bit to claim that Snape disliked Harry because of Lily. It's clearly stated that he protects - well, does the bare necessity to prevent the death and/or horrific maiming of - Harry because he's Lily's son. There's a more solid case to be made that Petunia dislikes Harry because of Snape, and that's saying something.

6. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

No, that's not stretching things at all. Snape hated him because he was James' son, but it was intensified because he was James' son with Snape's only love. He reminds Snape not only of getting bullied, but of his greatest failure. It's really not that hard to get.

7. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

HP/SG1 crossovers seem to have a higher offender rate than any other crossover I've seen, when it comes to telling instead of showing. :|

Maybe it's a symptom of one property being a somewhat long-running TV series. Authors seem to think they need to mention every damned event that occurred in the show, like they're going down a checklist. But since really writing about that would take forever, they just tell you what happened in summary, now that the HP world is involved, and then move to check off the next box.

It's dry. It's boring. It's terrible writing.
    (And a waste of time for everyone involved.)

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Allow me to restate my profound dislike for canon rehash fics. They peeve me greatly. Recently I tried reading The Changeling. Dropped it halfway through third year. Insightful character study or not, from what I saw that fic is basically like the first - incredibly boring - half of OTWTG.

9. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've spent many years and have yet to find a fic that both not a canon rehash and not OP!Earth. It doesn't help that nearly every fic is a romance fic either.

10. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Earth is pretty OP in the tv show, so adding any power ups to the SGC makes them really strong. The problem is no one scales up the responses of their enemies to magic empowered SGC kicking ass and taking names, nor does the Earth get more ambitious and start failing Ops. So they just rely on Earth having lots of victories but not being a major threat (the Canon reason no one comes by to stomp earth) but still let's the reader power trip off all the victories.

11. James

James Unspeakable

I'm increasingly frustrated by lack of subtleness of any kind in majority of fics, even most otherwise well written. And all kinds of problems that stem from it, from overblown reactions during dialogue, shipping fics where harry and his SO must meet in first chapter and be BFFs by third at most, slash fics where every fucking relationship is slash, etc.

12. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Few readers understand subtlety. They want it all and they want it now. It makes me often wonder if they've read an actual book that was in print or if their entire life experience is fanfiction.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Thread closed due to being fat as fuck. New thread here.

Not open for further replies.