1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Lessons From a Grateful Veela By PD31 - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by wolf550e, Jun 6, 2016.

1. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Title: Lessons From a Grateful Veela
    Author: PD31
    Rating: M (yes, there is smut)
    Genre: Romance
    Library Category: Romance or Restricted Section
    Pairings: Harry/Fleur
    Summary: Fleur decides that Harry should be rewarded for saving her sister from the lake in the second task.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11956676/1/Lessons-From-a-Grateful-Veela

review:
    It's fluff, the smut is decent. There are cliches, but no bashing.

2. ResExtensa

ResExtensa Squib

2 stars from me. It was not like super bad, but also not library worthy. There was no real (or at least beleivable) development of their relationship. Writting was decent.
    (Sorry for my english, it is my third language)

3. vzr

vzr Squib DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll go with Res and give it 2/5. I don't mind the smut, but there's little else to recommend about it.

4. Justin

Justin Squib

High Score:
    Fleur gets Harry drunk. Smut ensues.

I can't particularly say that the smut was good. It was decent for FF and we all know just how much that means. The plot was decent but it only existed so that the smut could occur.

No obvious grammar or spelling mistakes.

Not the best story but it delivers what it promises. Nothing more.

3/5

5. Miner

Miner Order Member

So, let's see...

Dream sex, weird sexual bond that tries to subvert the soul bond by saying that the male doesn't HAVE to stick with the veela, but usually the veela sticks with the male (this reads to me like the author wanted Harry to have more choices, but pretty much bonds the veela to him forever. Should the story have continued, I'm sure it wouldn't devolved into yet another harem story.), bland smut is bland, Harry practices throwing off the veela allure for purposes of "resisting the Imperius Curse", transfer of schools for the sole purpose of having more time to bang the veela chick, yada yada yada.

Bad. 1/5

6. gokieks

gokieks First Year

It's... inoffensive, I suppose, would be the best way to describe it. Cute enough set-up, nothing really unique but nothing that drags it down story-wise either (though the way the French-accented English is written does get annoying after a while). Smut is what it is - I neither seek nor mind it, so really little bearing on my opinion.

Would be a 5/10, but I'll round up to 3/5.

7. rakido

rakido Squib

High Score:
    I quote gokieks, nothing unique and nothing that drags it down.
    It gives a slight twist to a cliche or two but not enough to make it special.

Otherwise a average fic, balanced between smut and plot
    3 of 5

8. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Smut was not decent. It was bad.

For that alone, it deserves a 1/5.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Yeah, there's nothing redeeming about this fic at all.

10. Reaper

Reaper Squib

High Score:
    I generally stay away from smut or stories that have plot with lemons and whatnot, but this isn't horrible. I really hate all kinds of bonds in stories, anything that tries to subjugate someones will over something stupid like creature instincts. This "veela bond" was pretty close to a one sided soul bond, and I really hate, and know many others who hate, all things soul bond.

Anyway, I could go on to name all the cliche/cringe worthy things like switching schools, throwing off allure for practice, but instead I'll just say that it isn't my cup of tea. 2/5

11. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

By these standards, no story from the Restricted Section belongs in the library. And if this smut was bad, where is all the good smut? Name a story besides "It could only happen to Harry" where the smut is good.

BTW, except for Anarchy, where are the high post count users?

12. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

This story is bad. The smut is bad. I tried to read it but the whole thing is filled with lines like

and

:facepalm

The whole thing is filled with cliches, cheesy lines, and some just plain stupid characterization.

The smut itself is thoroughly unarousing, uninteresting, and, at times, disjointed.

That is about as mechanical a telling as I could imagine. The whole thing describes, in clinical detail, exactly what actions Harry performs. All I know about Fleur is she gasped once, her pulse is racing, and she's wet. We don't see her react at all to his touch aside from those three points that may as well have been mentioned in passing. I get the feeling Harry is fucking a doll when I read that, not a living breathing person. I think the author even forgot, somewhere in that mess he has a throwaway line about her "writhing" beneath him.

It doesn't get better.

To sum up what just happened, Harry penetrated her, and then apparently both came. Just like that. That is not good smut.

Furthermore, the vast majority of the library is trash by today's standards. Most of the stories I would have rated 4 or 5 stars when they were submitted I would now rate 1 or 2, with the rare 3.

13. Miner

Miner Order Member

I enjoyed MayorHaggar's stuff. May not be to everyone's tastes, but it's certainly better than what I've seen. Also, most of the shit in the Restricted Section is super dark twisted stuff which is not... exactly palatable to a lot of people. And thus the only people who'll really read it are the people who like that stuff, and thus the ratings are likely higher.

Then again, I wasn't a member back when most of the stuff was put in there, so I could be wrong above.

14. Webz2

Webz2 Squib

Im sorry, i can barely give this a 2/5. Harry gets dinner and then an "exam"? Then Fleur decides she wants to keep harry. I understand that some people enjoy this kind of story, but i know that im not one of them.

15. Scott2929101

Scott2929101 Squib

High Score:
    I can't help but feel this story line has been already done to death. A grateful Fleur showing her "appreciation" for Harry after the second task isn't exactly a new idea. Also, the bit with the history of Veela, I felt, was extremely cringe-worthy.

Overall, it wasn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but I felt lacks anything unique to draw any particular interest.

2/5

16. Holo

Holo Squib

High Score:
    2/5

Maybe adding in Harry and Fleur getting to know each other somewhere during it would have made it better. Going from knowing really nothing about her to loving her is kinda a big jump. The smut could have been better written though but it did it's job.

17. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I don't ask for a lot but I ask for more than this. While it's cliched, I think even marginally better writing could have salvaged this into a guilty pleasure (which I why I looked in the first place), but it's pretty unreadable.