1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cursed Child Spoiler Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is it significant that the article is exactly what I read on Wikipedia a few hours ago? Like, I'm pretty sure it's word for word the same thing.

*checks Wikipedia*

Yep, it's the same text. Well, okay.

2. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    One thing keeps bugging me: Harry lost a duel to Voldemort's spawn who was what? Half his age? Apparently Delphi (the heck that means?) said that she 'studied' him and knows him better than her father did.

I mean, the ending is sort of consistent with the whole power of love theme and how Harry wasn't alone in his fights and bla bla bla, but didn't Harry have decades to practice and hone his already good dueling skills?

Eh, it's a dumb thing to get hung up on, but I can't help myself.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

This is what annoys me most. He was constantly overwhelmed in the books and even when he's a fucking auror he STILL gets his arse handed to him. Fuck that shit.

4. coolname95

coolname95 Third Year

This has to be a joke, seriously. There's literally nothing that will save that plot, no amount of good dialogue or character development or whatever. Jesus christ..

5. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Reading all of the spoilers makes this sound so awful that as I was reading down the plot points I was actually rooting for Delphi to succeed and erase this mess from existence.

I did laugh my ass off at Harry giving Albus Severus his old baby blanket though. :facepalm
    What an asshole. I'd be pissed too.

6. Gene

Gene Third Year

It's not dumb: in fact, it's pretty emblematic of the issues with this whole plot. It doesn't matter if it makes causal or rational sense, or if, as it stands, this could have been better plotted by me, at age 13, in my nihilistic/misanthropic phase. All that matters is that Harry's unwanted spawn be a hero in the same mold as his father, and if that requires a warping of everything prior, so be it.

Zel
  7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There is some reference made to him not having a wand - whether that's because she's disarmed him or he's been dumb enough not to bring it with him is open to debate, and frankly I'd believe either if this is legit.

Also, I'm calling dibs on writing the one-shot showing why Harry has acquired a fear of pigeons in the years since facing down Dark Lords. That story needs to be told.

8. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What are the chances that this is all just an elaborate conspiracy? That everyone who walks out of the theatre is paid off to say a fake version of the plots?

Yeah...Didn't think so.

Have any reviews of this come out yet? I'm really interesed to see what other, non-fanfiction readers have to say about it.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm going to keep living happily in my own personal world where only the novels are canon, regardless of what anyone says.

Sticks fingers in ears: *lalalalalala I can't heeeear you*

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

How about an article written by someone who actually saw the play instead of this buzzfeed garbage?

This is a pretty honest feedback - well worth a read.

12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was referring to the tweets/thoughts of people who had seen it and appeared to have enjoyed themselves.

13. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

All time-turner related articles have apparently been removed from Pottermore.

14. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Palindrome: that article makes a few fair points, but saying "Don't think too much about the books" is daft when the story is being explicitly marketed as the eighth Harry Potter story.

15. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Harry would never tell any of his children; "I wish you weren't my son/daughter!" Just - no, it's out of character for him to do, he's not that retarded.

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Wait, seriously?

17. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

As much as I'm on the fence about all of this, I'd disagree. Harry is prone to saying dumb shit when he gets angry. Sure, he's had a few decades to grow up, but wizards are still human.

It's far less OoC than his new "fears" in any case... a good portion of the HP books take place in dark, sometimes cramped conditions. I'm not even trying to hear that noise.

Pigeons, tho...

18. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    The difference is of course that when he gets angry and say dumb shit in the books, he's a hormonal teenager with anger-management issues. 19 years later, he'd ought to have matured a bit, having become a parent and handled Albus's worry so well. Just being an Auror, let alone Head Auror, means he'd not loose his temper like that.

Also, there's a difference between losing one's temper and be unreasonable and telling your child you wish they weren't born. HUGE difference.

19. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Ehh. My parents have said the same to me (and my siblings) a bunch of times. They've also told me how proud they are of all of us, and far more frequently than the former. Why? Because they're human.

So yeah, Harry would've matured a fair amount by the events of the play, but he's also - as the synopsis reads - overworked. It sounds like he's being harassed on all fronts, not to mention from people to whom he owes nothing, and now his son seems to hate him for everything he's hitherto worked for. The son who looks just like him. I've heard genuinely kind-hearted people say a lot worse about their loved ones, and not all of them have immediately regretted it.

20. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Regardless of the right or wrong of it, that seems like the kind of thing that might work a lot better in performance than on paper, IMO. It's not something I would necessarily have expected or wanted to see in Harry Potter, but eh.