1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Is there any canon information on how it actually works? Does it go by monitoring the residence (hence Dobby set it off)? Or is it attached to the person. That said if it did it by monitoring the residence you could walk 10 miles away and you'd be fine...

2. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

In HBP, we are given probably our best insight into the Trace. When Harry and Dumbledore watch Riddle's meeting with the Gaunts, they end the scene with a discussion on how Tom could have killed the muggle Riddles and framed the Gaunts despite the Trace. Dumbledore states that the Ministry is capable of monitoring magic use, but incapable of determining the offender. In magic-heavy areas, or areas known to be home to active wizards/witches like Little Hangleton near the Gaunt Residence, the Trace is nigh-useless. All it took for Tom to defeat the Trace was to steal a wand, and cast a spell in a residence right next to a wizard's home.

Tom did not use his own wand to cast the spells, but Dumbledore clearly states that the Trace would have detected him using magic anyway, so the Trace's detection is not wand-based. The information gathered by the Trace seems to be categorized geographically, as the Ministry can tell where a spell was cast, but not by whom. It also seems indiscriminate. Even though the Trace would have been on Tom, the Ministry seems unable to determine whose Trace triggers the detection. Strangely, the fact that the Trace picked up a spell in the area was never used as evidence of the presence of an underaged wizard, despite there being no reason for any Trace to trigger in the area with only muggles and adult wizards.

3. Ghosthree3

So it triggers on areas in which magic is cast, but only when it is done by someone underage? Seems...weird, they clearly don't monitor areas then, and there mustn't be any direct trace on the person casting or I imagine they'd know who it was. I guess it could just be put down as 'magic can tell when an underage person casts something and where because magic' though.

4. Ghosthree3

Why is Harry always seemingly literally retarded in love triangle situations?

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Crappy teenaged anime tropes.

---------- Post automerged at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Usually where the protag has to be moronically oblivious yet every girl secretly loves him.

6. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

So, some pet peeves I've been dealing with lately.

1. Stories where the author randomly insert their real life interests. I'm not talking about the general interests and hobbies they have - like motorcycling, and fishing, or whatever, but when they put something specific that they like in the story.

I was reading a story a while back - do not remember when, or what it was about - and in it, Harry was a fan of the Foo Fighters. He introduced the Foo Fighters to George and Fred, and naturally they became huge fans too.

It's horrible, and insipid, and I hate it. I don't care about what bands you're into, I'm here to read a story about magic, not about how Dave Grohl is fucking awesome. He is, but I don't want to read how Fred Weasley likes him. It's like people have this mindset of, "Well, if I like something, obviously my favorite characters should like it too."

2. People putting political rants at the end of the chapter. I was reading a perfectly horrible shitfic the other day (I read a lot of shitfics), and the author randomly sprung it on me. I was not expecting it. One minute I'm reading a normal, if lackluster, story, the next I'm reading a spiel about Donald Trump.

The author didn't even say he was a Trump supporter or something, he just said something about how, even if you dislike the guy you have to be amazed at what the fuck ever, I don't care.

There's a time and a place, is all I'm saying. Holy shit. You can't just drop that on a man. Whatever.

3. Random eulogy posts. Now, I know that you're wondering what the fuck I'm talking about. Allow me to elaborate. Ever since Monty Oum died last year, there's been a flood of "dedicated to Monty Oum" type fics out there, with people posting an entire chapter talking about Monty Oum, or having the fics characters attend a funeral where they call Monty Oum their father or something. Mostly harmless stuff. If a bit creepy. I still find it annoying. I think I've been noticing it because I've been backlogging through RWBY fanfiction. Goddamn, make a blog post about it, make a short mention in your author's note, don't join in with the mindless horde, and post the same goddamn thing on fanfiction.net of all places. That is literally the worst place for it.

4. Not really a pet peeve, but it's close enough. Just a thing I encountered. I read a lot of shitfics, especially in the RWBY fandom. I don't know why, I'm diseased. I encountered an older Infamous/RWBY crossover, updated as recently as April (without any actual content). It was pretty bad, but the last four chapters aren't chapters - they're blog posts. The first is about Monty Oum, the second is how he got scared by a guy at a seven eleven, the third is an actual fucking suicide note, and the fourth was a note from his friend saying he hadn't ended up committing suicide, and was now in a mental ward.

Kinda wigged me out a bit, I'll admit.

7. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Fuck, I ragequit pretty much every RWBY fic where the characters swear to Mounty/Oum. What does it add to the story? Nothing at all, and the whole 'dedicated to Monty' thing those fics do are, in most of the cases, authors baiting for reviews, in which there'll be more mindless repetition of how awesome he was.

I agree that he was great at what he did, but seriously, enough is enough.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Bloodline Minato fics. Even after the Naruto manga has completed and the anime has aired the answer people still write these Goddamn fics. Also when I read a good fic overall and they misspell "McGonagall " or "Madame Maxime" or "Fleur".

I need some Valium to help me calm down this grates on me so much.

Also fics where they get the ages of Bellatrix, Andromeda and Narcissa wrong. Narcissa was the youngest how can people not know this?

9. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

The lack of strong female characters in Naruto...apart from the final boss.

Fics that begin with a slew of chunky paragraphs, like c'mon at least give a token attempt to reel me in rather than assume your premise is enough.

10. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

11 year olds cursing has become one of my biggest Pet Peeves lately. Seeing Harry Potter say "The fucking mongrel" should not be a thing.

11. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What weird place did you grow up that didn't have kids being tryhards and swearing at that age?

12. Ghosthree3

Thinking back to being young fills me with embarrassment.

13. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I grew up surrounded by older cousins, who taught me plenty of swearing words for nothing more than shits and giggles. Heh, those were the days, I had quite the sailor mouth for a eleven years old kid.

You'd have failed being young if it didn't.

Funny, both of us are in the early twenties and talking like old men.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Every time I see a word made plural by an incorrect use of apostrophe (like just now on reddit, story's), it fucking slays me.

15. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When stupid shit from one fandom invades another.

When you've got Manipulative!Sarutobi or Alive!MinatoandKushina, I know what kind of fic I'm wondering into.

And let's not forget the "Clan Restoration Act". *Marriage Act*

Sure, Naruto has a few similarities to Harry Potter (What YA book/movie.show doesn't?) but seriously, be original.

16. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

I don't really think those things invaded from the HP fandom. Manipulative!Sarutobi - whilst I can see having some influence from the Manipulative!Dumbledore trope - falls more into the category of bashing in general. It also makes sense for it to arise naturally in both the Naruto fandom and the HP fandom - many of those watching/reading and writing about Naruto and HP are younger teens, who will probably relate strongly to the rebellious attitude a manipulative authority figure will likely evoke.

Minato and Kushina being alive makes perfect sense as a trope as well - after all, their story, while basic, presented them as likable characters, and fix it fics exist across all fandoms where sad stuff happens.

The "Clan Restoration Act", while at a glance may have originated from the HP fandom's "Marriage Law" trope, it's honestly not entirely rare outside of fanfiction. Since both HP and Naruto are pairing heavy fandoms, it acts as a convenient way to force one's favorite pairings together, or to give one's favorite character a harem.

That said, one trope that I think one could argue crossed over from HP to Naruto is the "neglectful parents who dote on asshole sibling" trope. It's appeared outside of fanfiction before, but the way it's usually presented is far too similar to the WBWL trope for me to confidently say that there's no overlap.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I love that this is what's under the Fanfiction tab for that trope:

18. Ncjeur

Ncjeur Second Year

I don't know if it fits the definition of a pet peeve, but I recently made the mistake of browsing AO3 for good stories (there are none). Amid the usual crap I found a really disturbing story that featured Harry Potter having sex with his very young daughter. I'm not going to link it, because it's disturbing, but it got me thinking: Who writes shit like that? What are the authors thinking?
    Honestly, a significant part of the fanfiction community makes me sick. Is it even allowed to post stories like that?

On the other hand, there are many great stories out there that are worth stumbling over the mountain of crap :) .

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  19. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Dont know if it was on AO3 or Adultfanfiction but once I found an honest to God fic that was more or less a huge speech about the wonders of pedophilia, how it was not a disease and that it was incredibly normal and such. The creepiest rhin was that it was obvious that thr author actually believed that, that adult should go and fuck eleven year old kids, with him extolling for paragraphs the “appeals and sexiness“ of an eleven year old OC. It was immensely disturbing, to say the least. I avoided both places since then, only going when linked, except Adultff, not even then.

20. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Was it wnelson001? I stumbled across several of his stories while browsing AO3 and was almost immediately disgusted. Just browsing one of his fics makes you wander if the FBI is monitoring its readers, because they absolutely should.