1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Deja Vu and Dreams Series By Electrasev5n - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Styx0444, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Just got up to date in Aiko in Canon. Enjoying it.

Has all the elements that I loved about Vapors (minus the other characters) and it really reminds me just how distinctive Aiko's interactions with other people are. Loved the scene of her dropping by Akatsuki headquarters, and the reactions of those in there.

I don't think the title really works though, because as much as it's technically canon verse, it's focused entirely on non-canon stuff. But I think I prefer it than her appearing in canon events and kicking ass (since that gets old pretty quickly). We have enough scenes from Team 7's POV to keep it relevant.

2. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

Part 13, for those who want the link.

3. Six Paths of Pain

Six Paths of Pain First Year

Part 14 for those interested. I'll edit in my review later.

4. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

Part 15

parts of it were... random... but at least it seems like plot is starting to move back along.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Thanks for the link - story is hard to follow when it's posted haphazardly on a blog that I don't follow.

One interesting thing about this story that I've sort of mentioned before... is how I can't quite get my head around how the author does things so well while irritating me at the same time.

It is a good thing that the author throws expectations on their head. It's a good thing that crazy and yet explainable shit happens like Aiko accidentally becoming the Mizukage. And in most stories, fiction or fanfiction, unexpected twists that make sense are welcome and a boon to the story.

But this story, and other ones in the series, always manage to do that while making me feel cheated of what I wanted to see. I wanted to see things play out with Kakashi checking out her background and her ending up in Konoha pretending to be a remnant of Whirlpool. Plenty of room for crazy, unexpected shit to happen.

But as a reader I wanted those interactions with characters. In the previous story, people got irritated at all the Aiko & Obito action because it seemed to take so long before she had any inkling of her earlier memories.

TL;DR - This story (and it's predecessors) does things right by turning expectations on their head... and yet in this case only, I find that irritating, because what I get is never as satisfying as what I wanted to see.

And yet, I keep reading. And will continue to do so.

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Can certainly see your point CheddarTrek, but I'm actually quite enjoying the way the plot has moved so far.

While going to Mist may be left of field of what we actually want to read, it also helped build up that tension of seeing Aiko interacting with Konoha nin. Given her position, there's a level of antagonism with her old village that makes it more fun than if she just became a Konoha nin straight off the bat. Her role makes reforging her old relationships hard and also gives her a sense of obligation of not simply defecting.

The Mist Arc also gave the fic a bit more of a plot, and let us see Aiko being Aiko when fucking around with world changing events, rather than just rehashing the canon plotline. Unlike Clarity, it didn't go on a tangent forever and we're back to familiar territory.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm with Ched on this one. The story isn't fleshed out and complete. It feels like its missing the scenes that the author didn't want to write. I think this goes back to what chiefnewo was saying about why Electrasev5n was releasing it on Tumblr and not on ffn:

The author is writing these scribbles for fun. It would follow if she didn't want to struggle through the parts she has dislikes writing and so skipped them. Her goal with this isn't to struggle until she's produced a solid story like her fics on ffn.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Caught up on this and yeah, it skips some stuff, but overall, I am loving it. It speaks volumes on the strength of Aiko that she is so engaging and fun to follow even if the story lacks structure at places.

The entertainment I get from even those snippets is more than I get from most well structured stories.

I just wish the author would drop Obito for good, that guy has been an immense thorn in her stories. He just drags them down.

Everything else is a lot of fun.

9. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

10. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

part 17 is out. sort of a cross between a narrative and a story outline, which is par for course considering she considers this a side project.

11. Six Paths of Pain

Six Paths of Pain First Year

12. yak

I'm still reading and enjoying the latest updates. The nation building and Konoha's reactions to the situation are interesting.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Thanks for linking to the updates. I don't follow tumblr in general so I'll never know when this updates without someone telling me. Much appreciated.

As for these two chapters... I thought they were better than the last few had been. They were beefier, contained more, and had interesting characters that jogged my memory regarding their specific personalities from the main story.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, appreciate the linking of updates here. It's the only way I see them.

Still really enjoying the story - potentially even to the same level as Vapors. Has all those fun little interactions with various Konoha nin that were so enjoyable in Vapors as well as a generally entertaining plot of her setting up Kirigakure and building up the tension for the "big reveal".

At the very least, it's miles ahead of Clarity.

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I updated the first post with a chapter list of Aito in canon. Someone pm me a summary for it. Thanx.

16. Nemrut

High Score:
    I am really loving the Aiko in Canon story, I could read over 3000k words of her trying to rebuild Kiri whilst bonding/interacting with various characters.

Aiko herself is just such a larger than life, protagonist, full with charm and sheer personality, that I find it impossible to not enjoy everything she does. It also strikes this awesome balance between taking things not too seriously while taking them seriously enough that it even pulls off the outrageous concept so convincingly.

I mean, she becomes the Mizukage, is teleporting between Kiri and Konoha to train her genin team and supervise them whilst dealing with Konoha's attempts to recruit her, not knowing she has become the fucking Mizukage whilst still dealing with Kiri's rebuilding and dealing with her subordinates there

In most other fics it would be either shit or crack yet AiC balances things in a great way.

It's just a lot of fun and personal investment in the character and her antics.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  18. yak

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    I was really enjoying the chapter until Obito was mentioned. I really, really hope that an occasional letter is going to be his only interaction with Aiko. He is outright poison to the story.

20. Nemrut

High Score: