1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Powerful!Harry' Debate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snupps, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I'm sort of going to agree with arkkitehti here...

The battles with Dumbledore were very dynamic but everyone else's battles were rather meh.

2. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Professor McGonagall moved faster than Harry could have believed. Her wand slashed through the air and for a split second Harry thought that Snape must crumple, unconscious, but the swiftness of his Shield Charm was such that McGonagall was thrown off balance. She brandished her wand at a touch on the wall and it flew out of its bracket. Harry, about to curse Snape, was forced to pull Luna out of the way of the descending flames, which became a ring of fire that filled the corridor and flew like a lasso at Snape -

Then it was no longer fire, but a great black serpent that McGonagall blasted to smoke, which re-formed and solidified in seconds to become a swarm of pursuing daggers. Snape avoided them only by forcing the suit of armor in front of him, and with echoing clangs the daggers sank, one after another, into its breast -

“Minerva!” said a squeaky voice, and looking behind him, still shielding Luna from flying spells, Harry saw Professors Flitwick and Sprout sprinting up the corridor toward them in their nightclothes, with the enormous Professor Slughorn panting along at the rear.

“No!” squealed Flitwick, raising his wand. “You'll do no more murder at Hogwarts!”

Flitwick's spell hit the suit of armor behind which Snape had taken shelter. With a clatter it came to life. Snape struggled free of the crushing arms and sent it flying back toward his attackers. Harry and Luna had to dive sideways to avoid it as it smashed into the wall and shattered.When Harry looked up again, Snape was in full flight, McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout all thundering after him. He hurtled through a classroom door and, moments later, he heard McGonagall cry, “Coward! COWARD!”

A battle of a few seconds. I'm not seeing this simple missile slinging y'all are talking about. Shockingly enough not every witch/wizard is a schoolkid with lax study habits and barely any real duelling tutoring.

3. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

I love these two duells but they are actually kind of right the only wizards in canon who ever fought without "point and shoot" spells were Voldemort, Dumbledore, Snape Mcgonagall and Hermione and Percy were using like one transfiguration ever in all their duells.

Most duells in canon are kinda boring even highly skilled wizards like Bellatrix, Lucius, Dolohov and Moody are fighting in this boring manner.

But the thing is we haven't seen that many real duells in canon (I mean a actuall fight instead of running away and shooting the odd spell behind you) it can't be more than a dozen and it can be implied that wizards like Flitwick, Moody and Bellatrix can fight with animations, transfiguration and so on in a duell it's just a dissapointment that we never see it because Rowling is actually able to write some pretty kickass duells which don't drag on for too long like some Fanfictions even if there are only 2.

4. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

No, because that was Dumbledore, who I said was the exception. But if you look at Voldemort's side of that same fight, you see the overly simplistic style I'm talking about.

Magic used by Voldemort: AK, AK, Apparition, AK, shield, AK, fire-to-snake transfiguration, apparition, AK, possession.

Only offensive magic Voldemort uses is the killing curse. Not very complicated or something that should require decades of practice and experience, is it?

Voldemort is scary because he's totally unhinged and willing to kill anyone in sight, not because his fighting style is anything to brag about

edit: and just to turn the knife in the wound, we also have justification for the "martial arts" Harry in the same battle: both Neville and Sirius do some old-fashioned hand-to-hand brawling against Macnair and Dolohov.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  5. BlackLadyAnna

BlackLadyAnna Squib

High Score:
    My favourite powerful!Harry story is Elemental's Power

Harry Potter And The Elemental's Power by Sage Ra
    A story about Harry in Slytherin house wielding the elder wand and the powers of an elemental. Features annoying Weasley's, an OFC, a flawed but good Dumbledore, an indifferent Snape and lots and lots of twists.
    Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Humor/Adventure - Chapters: 62 - Words: 410,182 - Reviews: 3976 - Favs: 5,538 - Follows: 4,594 - Updated: Apr 3, 2015 - Published: Mar 8, 2008 - Harry P., OC - Complete
    So Harry is really powerful in this fic but not god-like. There is a good explenation why he's so hardcore, he is not a ridiculous hero, he has a believable personality (quite complexed) and a mild anger issue... which is still good, right? There is a romantic interest defined at the beginning but romance itself does not start until later, so we don't have to deal with 12 years old kids in love and engaged to marry (thank God!!!). And don't be afraid of the OFC couse this girl is very well created and does not stand out from the story and fits well with JKR universe.

6. Lb13

Lb13 Second Year

Can't believe no one has linked By the Divining Light yet. It and it's sequel (Conlaodh's Song) are probably the best portrayal of a powerful, Dumbledore-esque Harry in the fandom, with the biggest flaw in this particular series being that it isn't finished.

7. BlackLadyAnna

BlackLadyAnna Squib

High Score:
    I don't agree. I think that the fight at DOM is very badass. I never expected Voldemort to be described like this. Lack of originality is something to be linked more with Harry (Expelliarmus, Stuperfy, Protego and that's it). Name me one BATTLE (not lesson or task in GOF) when Harry does not use this spells or uses others. I don't count HBP when he starts going Sectumsempra at everything moving or DH where he uses Unforgivables without 2nd thought.
    Besides Voldemort is said to be a genius academically and very strong wizard. You have to understand that everyone ridiculing JKR about different levels of student's skills does not try to see it from their perspective. At school I don't get shamed that I don't know kung-fu or self-defence. And magical self-defence is something very likery to be commonly dismissed since they all thought the war was over.
    And I noticed that Voldemort does tend to engage in only this battles he wants to, so Dumbledore, Harry, Harry, Dumbledore. The rest is given to Death Eaters, so he's only ther to oversee them and to introduce them to his friend discipline (Crucio). I think he only shows what he must.

---------- Post automerged at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Btw you call fire-to-snake transfiguration or possession overly simplistic spells. I don;t see enyone in whole series using any of these.
    Or maby the ressurection ritual is so simple and commonly used.:confused:

8. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In that OOTP segment, I don't think Voldemort bothered to have a cool-ass duel with the Headmaster by summoning golems and other conjurations. As boring as his moveset was, all he wanted was to kill Dumbledore as fast as possible - seeing as he had the advantage.

Not only was Dumbledore avoiding to kill him, but the Headmaster also had to protect Harry. Voldemort didn't have much time either, as the Aurors were inbound. Throwing around the killing curse and hoping for the best was quite the viable option in the situation, especially when we know that Voldemort can also defend anything Dumbledore throws at him.

9. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Exactly. He's doing the equivalent of shooting at his opponent while also engaging him in high-level close-quarter combat. Hardly over-simplistic, but I suppose people must stick with their image of duels being streaks of light missiles shot at each other in turn

Also I don't see the problem with Neville or Sirius throwing out some punches. No one in this thread has argued that duelling does not occasionally involve hitting the opponent's head with a brick, and simple grappling has counted as Disarming in canon (to win Harry the Elder Wand). Not sure what knife arkkitehti thinks they're twisting

10. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Harry was sent to Azkaban for killing Cedric where he found that he could SPIRIT ROVE . Coincidentally Luna could also SPIRIT ROVE and the two SPIRIT ROVERS get Hermione into the action .This leads to many sloppy painful shower scenes and the development of Uber Harry who survives the dementor's kiss and has mind sex with Sirius, Luna and Hermione giving them animagus forms(they are all wolves) with cringe inducing names like MOONLIGHT, Bolt and Lady.

Harry casually becomes Lord of everything with a quadruple hyphenated surname, kills Bellatrix and helps MOONLIGHT kill Voldemort.

Then the three retire to have lots of sex and cute babies on the POTTER ISLAND RESORT(tm) .

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Uh, what?

12. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I assume he's a bot

13. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Sorry I didn't see post date. This thread was recommended to me by the site .

14. Zombie

Ah, yeah, the similar thread tool. Its a neat thing, but most of the threads that show up in there are pretty old. Especially when the topics are like this. No worries, as long as you're contributing, its not minded generally.

15. Demonbuttersage

Demonbuttersage First Year

Great, now the bots are performing thread necromancy. Is nothing sacred anymore?

16. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    hmmm the similar tool rec me topics from 2008.
    Is this a legal necromancy or the site mods will hunt me out?
    Blood is still acceptable right?

Back to powerful Harry, as Scott Press mention it, bother with Harry development or don't bother at all.

17. Zombie

Well, your post was totally useless.

The addage is as long as it contributes and hasn't already been mentioned. Is a thoughtful and well thought out argument. No one is going to care if you necro. That being said, some threads, use caution when you revive them.