1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Juat searched this guy and nope. wnelson is a pervert, disgusting but it lacks anything that makes me think he would do something like that or he actually pt some heavy thought on what he writes. The guy I was talking about was much worse in my opinion, it read like a fucking predator describing his prey, an obsessive fucker who spent hours and hours thinking and rarionalizing this shit. It was honestly more than a little terrifying.

2. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Stories where Harry gets transported to an AU setting, and he keeps getting surprised by things being different. I read a story recently where Harry kept acting surprised every time he found out something different from his original universe. It makes sense the first few times, but you'd think eventually a guy would start to just roll with the punches.

3. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

It does seem consistent with the fanon theme that Harry is smart in some areas and downright retarded in others though.

4. lana

lana Disappeared

High Score:
    Head Boy/Head Girl dormitories. This is an extremely common trope, and most often used to get a couple together, usually Hermione with a Head Boy of the author's choice (take your pic). Said Head Boys can range from anyone like Draco Malfoy, Remus Lupin (Marauders era), Tom Riddle (Grindelwald era), or even happen to be AUs where Harry or Ron becomes Head Boy. However, there is absolutely no mention of Head Boys or Head Girls having separate dormitories from the other Hogwarts students in the books.

5. Ghosthree3

Wow, it's actually been a long time since I've come across that one. In fact I cannot recall the last time I read a story where Harry was Head Boy at all (or where anyone who I, the reader, cared about).

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually remember the last time I came across that type of fic.

It was a Hermione/Ginny fic

7. potterfan1

potterfan1 Squib

High Score:
    I've seen it relatively often in Lily/James fics as well. Most of the time it's used as a way for Lily to find out that no, James is not the reincarnation of satan. Usually the end goal is, as lana said, to force a relationship.

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Okay, this is doubly annoying because Remus wasn't even the Head Boy. James already gets treated like a dirtbag by the fandom, at least leave him the Head Boy position. When people aren't bagging on him for giving an almost certainly well-earned hard time to Snape, they're turning him into an abusive/cheating husband or a bad father (though usually Lily is right there with him for the latter, doting on the WBWL)... and he already plays second fiddle to Lily, in regard to Harry surviving Halloween 1981.

I've always hated stories where Hermione goes back to the so-called "Marauders Era." Mainly because she usually ends up riding everyone but Peter like a pogo stick.

Ignoring the other factors that make this unreasonable, Sirius doesn't exactly come off as being even remotely Hermione's type and, frankly, James doesn't either. That and you'd think she'd have the decency to not start fucking her best friend's father but, hey, fuck your timeline, Harry - why do you have to get so uptight about not being born and shit?

At least it's better than the ones where she goes back and starts banging Snape or Riddle. :puke:

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Well these three are hardly described as being the most attractive, and why wouldn't Hermione want to ride a Harry Potter lookalike like a pogostick.

10. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Because contrary to what certain shipping enthusiasts would tell you, she's never shown the slightest desire to ride the actual Harry like a pogo stick?

11. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fanfic authors asking people to sponsor them through Patreon.

Besides the enormous risk of liability, it just irks me that you're using someone else's ideas to make money like that.

12. Ghosthree3

Oh god, that's a thing now? Do those stories get nuked?

13. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

The smarter ones have gotten sneaky. Instead of just outright dollars=wordcount whoring, they use sophistry.

"I'm not selling my work, but patrons can offer suggestions on which fics I work on next."

"Patrons get first look at new chapters, which will then eventually be posted on free sites (this part never actually happens)."

"I'm not trying to make money off my fanfiction, but my RL responsibilities are taking me away from writing. I've got a Patreon now, so anybody who wants to contribute can help me keep writing and paying bills at the same time."

14. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Eh, the even sneakier ones are also offering writing classes through skype and beta reading, like that Coeur guy from the RWBY fandom. Three people are giving him a hundred bucks monthly for these and other shit like voting the theme for next fics. It's kind of impressive really, but it's so small scale that I don't think anyone important will bother calling them out on that.

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I never understood paying Coeur. He is good, but not nearly good enough for paid classes. I can easily go to the WbA here and find better authors on the first page. Maybe he gets that just cause he is willing to do that work.

Also DLP has at least two or three authors who uses that Patreon thing. Small scale? Dont mind, specially if it is just to support the author.

16. Ghosthree3

"This story will feature a strong and competent Harry, but it will be taking it slow and take some time to get there."

Not even one time.

17. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Translation: The Shopping Trip will take multiple chapters, and the Important Gringotts Meeting at least three.

18. Triliro

Triliro Second Year

High Score:
    You can't have less than three chapters devoted to breaking the block on Harry's magic and discovering what a manipulative bastard Dumbledore is. That's like having a harem fic where the mc doesn't go for every female in the series.

19. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

"Karma Sutra"

• Do you even bother to proofread your writing or look up proper names?
    • If the Kama Sutra gets mentioned in a fan fic, that's usually a sign you should bail out.
    --

"on accident/by accident"

Are you five? Are you, in fact, a toddler?
    You might be making this mistake BY accident, but I'm going to mock your shabby writing ON purpose. :mad:
    --

OCs named Ariana.

Despite that name not existing ANYWHERE in HP fan fiction before Ariana Dumbledore was introduced in canon, we now have a bunch of OCs named Ariana.

People, either put Ariana Dumbledore in your story, or find a different name for your OC... unless there's a reason, linked to canon, that this person would have this name; like they were specifically named after her (which is unlikely, because before Skeeter wrote her exposé, hardly anyone knew the girl ever existed).

We know you didn't just randomly think that name up for your character, or pick it because it's so common. Ariana is not like Sara, Bob, John, Amy, Jason, Mark, Jill... the world is not lousy with Arianas coming out of the woodwork. So, please, at least pretend you can come up with a decent name for an OC, without stealing one from canon in such an embarrassingly obvious fashion.
    --

Formerly/Formally

Whereas this was, formerly, a mistake I tried to ignore, I now formally tell the perpetrators, "Please, sir or madam, kindly fuck off to the nearest lexicon."
    --

Advocate/Abdicate

Personally, I advocate for certain people to abdicate their positions as writers of fan fiction.
    --

Low and behold/Lo and behold
    Warlocke 23:15
    And, lo, the angel of Language came upon them, and the glory of proper English shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

And the angel said unto them, "Oi, berks, learn some proper bleedin' English an' shit! I mean, fuckin' 'ell, you write like you're dense as bloody lead."

--

Why do people insist on putting an 'i' in 'Bombarda?' There's no such incantation as 'Bombardia.'
    --

Corporal/Corporeal

Ahem...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  20. chiefnewo

chiefnewo Second Year DLP Supporter

I wholeheartedly agree with you but unfortunately the "on accident" cancer has spread so far it's about to tip over into "the English language is always changing" territory and become accepted through sheer use.