1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Now this has probably been said a million times before, but I just want to get it off my chest as I just run into another example.

"Lord Potter", or any variation upon it. (Heir of House Potter etc.)

I just makes my interest in the story come to a screeching halt. I honestly don't care if what fallows is the greatest political intrigue story of all time it's just totally inappropriate in a setting where people can turn each other into ferrets.

I'm not saying that there is no space for some politicking in the HP universe, but a set noble class, with set power structures, just makes no god damn sense in a world where balance of power shifts so rapidly based upon someone like Dumbledore or Voldemort just being born.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I wouldn't care if it actually was used to create an extremely interesting an elaborate political world. But in reality it's almost always just used to make Harry better and richer than he was last chapter for no reason.

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I'll have you know, Potter men are renowned for their messy mops. :sherlock:

4. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

This isn't anything HP related but I see it in a surprisingly large amount of fics and it's annoying: using the words today and tomorrow when the story is being written in third person.

5. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    That's actually correct grammar, depending on context. Not everything is a transcript of direct to indirect speech.

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Nothing wrong with that, depending on how it's done and the 3rd person POV being used. If you're using an omnipotent POV, probably not good. If you're using an "over-the-shoulder" POV where you're writing as though you're a commentator giving a play-by-play, then today and tomorrow are okay, as the author is walking you through the days with the character, and probably revealing only things the character can see and know.

7. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

I was thinking specifically of omnipotent POV.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know why I subjected myself to this, but lately I read a bit of Starfox5's stuff. Evuul purebloods in those stories are just as ridiculous as Evuul Dumbledore. I have this urge to write a fic where Hermione tries to start a muggleborn revolution, but is thwarted and proved wrong at every turn by purebloods.

9. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Naruto Uzumaki Namikaze.

Yeah, no.

You don't see Harry going around calling himself Harry Evans Potter.

For that matter, any form of Minato bashing at all. I don't care if you're the son of Shezza and Inert, the second I see that shit I will lose MY shit.

Rant Time:
    Apparently, most people subscribe to the beleif that the guy should have found "another way". How about you try and come up with a solution on the fly while a giant fucking fox is attacking your village?

I saw one story where Naruto found a scroll from his father where he explained that he hoped the vilage would treat him well. Naruto of all people then critices his father's optimism as if he should have known better. Well, gee...when you see that the brother of the Raikage is treated well by his village then is it that much of a stretch to think the SON of the Hokage would be treated just as well?

In most Minato bashing stories, Naruto still apparently gets on with his mum. Like shit, first James Potter, now Minato? This is what I meant before when I was talking about shit leeking into other fandoms.

10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Please don't call me Mr Potter, Harry is fine. Mr Potter makes me think of my father/feel old/feel like I'm in school."

Can't stand this phrase and variants.

11. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I'm not going to defend the Revolution story, but to be fair I think "The Dark Lord Never Died" story is pretty good. It managed to twist around various cliches in some pretty creative ways.

12. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

That's almost as annoying as Harry calling all his classmates Miss Granger, Miss Greengrass, etc. when he's eleven.

13. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kid Harry is just annoying all-round.

14. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure in the UK it's reasonably common to refer to students by their last name. He probably wouldn't be using Mr/Miss however.

15. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

We also did the same in my high school phys ed/driver's ed classes. Never used Mr/Miss though, as you said.

16. HarrySeverusPotter

HarrySeverusPotter Disappeared

High Score:
    The Harry finds an ally in those rascally Weasley twins cliche so bored of it. For once I would like to see them against Harry.

17. Jhyaal

Jhyaal Squib

High Score:
    I really hate how a lot of writers seem to think that Harry can't be a Slytherin without also being a constantly smirking little cunt.

18. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Also I'm really tired of people's "inner Slytherin"

19. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Yeah, if only some ffn writers would let go of their inner idiots.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  20. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It might have been because I went to Public/State School, but we never referred to each other by our surnames.

Even if we didn't know the person, we'd call them by thir first name. Teachers also called us by our first names. Of course, we still called the teachers by Mr/Miss/Ms/Mrs/Dr.