1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stranger Things (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

FUCK.

Why did I start watching this at 9 PM on a Sunday? I just finished Episode 3 and there's no fucking way I'm stopping there.

Uh, yeah, this is really good though. "Atmospheric" is a word I've seen thrown around a lot, and it's pretty apt. Winona Rider makes a pretty fantastic unhinged mom. Got a pretty solid laugh out of that scene in episode 2 - "and a pack of Camels." Who knew Winona Rider had comic timing?

Seriously though just one more episode and then I'm going to bed.

---------- Post automerged at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

HOPPER WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK THAT IS LITERALLY THE WORST THING YOU COULD HAVE DONE.

Fuck it I'm watching another one.

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

So fucking good. One of the best I have seen in a while.

3. Sigurd

Sigurd DA Member

Fantastic show. Between work and travel I managed to milk it for a month. Can't wait for season 2.

As others have said, the child actors are absolutely fantastic. As amazing as the atmosphere and story and plot of this show is, I still think the child acting is the most wonderfully surprising part of this.

Also, the characters actually react to things like normal human beings:

As soon as Hopper gets a sense that something is unnatural, he stops obeying laws and just tries to find out the truth - finally, a character who's aware that he's in supernatural events and reacts accordingly.

4. Newcomb

I stayed up entirely too late last night and spent entirely too much time today watching this. Just finished episode 7, only one left. sadface.

Somehow Nancy went from almost my least favorite character to almost my favorite. How'd that happen?

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're crazy?

Eleven is clearly the best character.

6. Newcomb

I said "almost."

Eh, the last episode was a little... something. Tried too hard to put a bow on things + emphasized the things they chose to not put a bow on too much?

Didn't feel super natural.

Still a great show.

Is this continuing? Because I kind of want it to timeskip to when Mike and co. are like 16. That would mean ditching the A+ kid actors, though. Hmm.

Yeah, actually I'm not even sure where the show would go from here, if it does continue.

7. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I thought it was going to follow the new trend of making each season an entirely different story with new actors ala American Horror Story and True Detective. Maybe I misread something.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Is the last episode where

they get all hacky-slashy on that void monster?

I don't remember the timeline exactly since I marathoned but that episode was fucking great.

9. Newcomb

Yeah, that part was pretty awesome. Although Steve Holt Harrington showing up right at the perfect moment to help was a bit suspension-of-disbelief straining.

10. Weslim

Weslim First Year

I don't know why I hesitated watching this at first. I think maybe my friends were talking it up too much and I couldn't imagine it being as good as they said. Right after the first episode I was pissed I hadn't started sooner. Definitely lives up to the hype.

Eleven is such a badass, but my favorite character was Hopper. When he gets introduced I thought he was going to be the stereotypical small town sheriff that sucks at his job and gets in the way. That opinion changed real quick because the man is efficient as hell. No talk, just pure fuckin results.

11. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

That was actually part of the trope-aversion that they've been playing with all season.
    Sometimes they play the 80s tropes straight and sometimes they subvert them.

Usually (in an 80s movie), him showing up at that moment would ruin everything. The monster appears at the most inopportune moment, then they accidentally set off their own traps, etc.
    Instead he helps out and turns out to not be the stereotypical asshole that you were expecting.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finally finished the series and it was pretty damn awesome. I'm hyped for the next season so bad right now. Especially with that bit of foreshadowing we had in the last episode.

First season we had the demogorgon as the monster of the kids' D&D game. Demogorgons were the biggest, baddest monster in the early editions, until the Tarrasque took over that post. The bit of foreshadowing we had in the last episode was alluding to the Thessalhydra; a monster like the typical hydra, but which has the heads arranged around a central mouth, which it draws prey into.

I'm thinking that the monster of the next series is going to be the offspring of the demogorgon, which impregnated Will and the 6 other victims it took (including Barb) in a very Xenomorph fashion. I also think Lucas is going to be instrumental in killing it.

13. Newcomb

14. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Great show, I binged it in 2 days. Netflix is stepping up its game with its original content

15. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Stranger Things has been renewed for a second season. Not that surprising, but great to have a confirmation.

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just binged it this afternoon. Very good show, but I'm probably going to need to process it a bit. I'm wondering where they'll steer it next season.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They said it would emulate Indiana Jones in the next season.... however that's going to work.

18. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you haven't seen it yet, the Super Bowl Ad for Stranger Things 2 looks very promising.

Sadly, the release date is Halloween.

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yaaaaaaas

Maybe they'll go to the Snow Ball?!

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    New Comic-Con trailer. Looks so good!