1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dementors and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gvak, Sep 16, 2016.

1. gvak

gvak Squib

High Score:
    I believe you are all well informed about the story of the three brothers and the Deathly Hallows so here is my theory, which came from Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality fanfiction and a few Harry Potter & Percy Jackson crossovers.

For starters you have to know about the river Styx which is the river who seperates this world and the underwold.The river hold many properties including immortality/invulnerability.(for more information: http://www.greekmythology.com/pictures/other_gods/Alpheus/162455/the_river_styx)

Now many you may not know but in mexico exists the Day of Death which it is believed that the death comes and visits us. Funny thing is that it coexists with the celebration of All Hallows Eve. ( for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead )

Hermione's story telling from the 7th movie might be usefull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSh1zkPEvc

So here is my theory of what happend:

On All Hallows Eve at Twilight the three brothers manages to create a brigde to pass River Styx and tried to cross it. But then they met the hooted figure who prononced himlesf as Death.And Death gave the brothers the Deathly Hallows.

A wand and a stone made by materials close to the river which probably have invurability due to the connection with the river. And deaths own cloak wich is an artifact from another world.

Now you may wonder how the Dementors are connected with the Hallows, so here is my idea.
    According to the story Death searched many years for the third brother and in the Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationallity fanfiction dementors are considered a physical representation of death. That means that Death send his minions, the Dementors, to find the third brother.This would explain why the Dementor are after Harry Potter (in Prisoner of Azkaban) who is the rightfull owner of the Cloak of Invisibility.

So what do you think guys ?

2. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    > using HPMOR as basis for headcanon/discussion

That's a bold move, Cotton

3. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Bad start there mate.

JKR has said previously that Dementors represent depression. So no.

4. Ludwig

Ludwig Fourth Year

High Score:
    All sorts of crack-cocaine used in here.

Personally can't say anything bad, I've come up with worse.

5. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    HPMoR isn't very popular around here man. The wiki isn't the most reliable source, but it does describe what dementors are and what they represent. Check it out.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Absolutely zero basis in canon, but a potentially interesting idea for a fanfic.

7. gvak

gvak Squib

High Score:
    Well its a theory and although that I stray from canon in regards of the dementors, my theory about the hallows its still a posibility because it was never explained how they were created.

8. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

It's a curious theory. I'm actually toying with the tenuous connection between Dementors and death in my own fanfic. But as others have said, any speculation on the matter is firmly rooted in fanon. If you're exploring the idea for some canon-compliant project or other, you don't really need HPMoR to support any new lore. They're already ostensibly amortal, soul-sucking beings, after all.

9. StudentPanaKleksa

StudentPanaKleksa First Year

High Score:
    But dementors are not specifically after Harry in PoA, he just reacts to them badly for the reasons we all know. They probably see him as easy prey to feed off.

But it's quite a qood idea for a fic, Peverell's descendants and Dementors fighting for the cloak through the ages. You could have some 18th century Gaunt and Potter fighting side by side.

10. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Why would the Gaunts be fighting for Ignotus' heirloom?

11. gvak

gvak Squib

High Score:
    I never tried to write a fanfic and I don't have the time right now, so if someone wants to use my idea for story plot feel free to do so :)

12. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

LEAVE HEDWIG OUT OF THIS!

13. gvak

gvak Squib

High Score:
    Hooded* figure :p

14. syed

syed Supermod

I always wondered if the Veil was the "bridge" mentioned in the story. I always thought the river was a metaphor for something. The veil could be a solution to the dementor issue, if one passes through, it could never return.

The stone summons an echo of people, a collection of animated memories. What would happen if the stone was used to summon the shade of a person whose soul was consumed by a dementor? While the stone can't bring souls from across the veil, could it summon a soul from a dementor?

15. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:

Well, Harry was able to summon Sirius Black using the stone. So I don't understand the basis of your last theory. One could also say that since the stone 'can' bring souls from across the veil, it could also summon a soul from a dementor as well. However, my last point is merely a speculation, since we don't have enough info.

As for the veil being the bridge... I don't see a clear connection between the hallows and the veil apart from 'Death'. But the idea of Peverells bulding the veil is interesting.

For the river Styx theory... It fits somewhat, I suppose. But who was the hooded figure? According to the tale, the cloak belonged to the figure itself. If the cloak's origins is from another world, wouldn't it be better to assume that the other hallows also belong to that world, fundamentally? Also, what is that world?

There are clearly very few answers, which lead to many more questions. Then again, that makes it more interesting to discuss about the topic.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not touching the Dementor stuff so moving on...

You understand the Tale of the Three Brothers is just a wizarding fairy tale, right? We're not supposed to believe it. We're shown multiple times how it's wrong: the unbeatable wand is beaten several times, the cloak of invisibility is vulnerable to both Moody and Dumbledore, never mind death, and the resurrection stone doesn't really bring people back from the dead. None of the Hallows live up to the myth. On top of that, the idea of there being a "master of death" is shown to be nonsense. Nothing happens when you master all three hallows. They're just three magical objects.

Here's Dumbledore's theory on the hallows from his commentary in Tales of Beedle the Bard: three talented brothers made three unusually powerful but fallible magical objects. Over the years a myth grew up around those objects. But there is no magical connection between them, just a historical one.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  17. syed

syed Supermod

I always wondered what would happen if a dementor fed on a horcrux. The description of the soul piece is that it is twisted and tainted, while the dementors are soul eaters, their diets are only whole souls. Such a change could have drastic consequences. At worse we would have a dementor tom hybrid, at best we would see the soul piece and the dementor being destroyed.
    To me, dementors seem like a hive or linked race. Due to the fact they can't be destroyed, if contained and restricted from feeding their numbers can be reduced. So something like a horcrux harming them internally, the effects could harm them as a whole. Say the dementors fed on multiple soul pieces, the combined effect could destroy them.