1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Empire's Son by blank 101 - Star Wars - T

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Skeletaure, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Six Paths of Pain

Six Paths of Pain First Year

2. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

3. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Very much a filler, this story comes alive when Luke is acting and drags when he's not.

4. chiefnewo

chiefnewo Second Year DLP Supporter

I've pretty much stopped reading at the moment. I'm hoping that letting a bunch of chapters pile up and reading them at once will help get through the Luke mopes part.

5. cosal

cosal Squib

High Score:
    I'm a bit conflicted at the moment with the story. Blank101's Empire's Son is my favorite Star Wars fanfiction. His characterization of a battered and subdued Luke, seen almost solely through the eyes of Han, is impeccable. In addition, I've yet to find any other story that does a manipulative and machination-riddled Palpatine as well as he does. At times, I think the pacing can be a tad on the slow side, but it's not a major concern I have with the story.

On the other hand, I think my biggest complaint with Empire's Son II is actually Luke's character. Seeing things through Luke's perspective is perhaps too angsty and brooding for me. I don't think his characterization has drastically changed from the first story, but the change in viewpoint has shifted the way I look at him. Being able to view the broken teenager that Luke was through Han's eyes and watching Han struggle to understand just how a person could become like Luke was a major strength of Empire's Son. Hopefully, we'll see some more growth and perhaps less introspection in the long run and this won't really be an issue.

Overall still have to say 5/5

6. SumTwo

SumTwo Squib

High Score:
    Intro seems difficult to get through. Info dump about room which is supposed to impress upon the reader the differences in lifestyle, importance and power. It does this successfully but I did want to skip over it. Other than that this is enjoyable, thankyou.

7. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

This updated again here.

8. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

9. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Man I just want the plot to get moving again. It seems like it's been years since anything happened.

10. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    I really think this spice subplot needs to die a very painful death. It's been stopping Luke from getting shit done for way too long.

11. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Addiction ain't that easy.

12. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

That doesn't make it any more fun to read about.

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah it is certainly a realistic portrayal of addiction and it actually fits the story/character well but that sadly doesn´t make it any more fun to read about, at least for me. And the story seems so slow to progress, though I think that if you would read it all in one go it would be far better.

14. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Any story where you read a chapter every few weeks will seem slow. Not to say that blink doesn't do a some beating around the bush. I do it myself.

15. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Another update here. Things are starting to move and it looks like the spice plot might finally be wrapping up thank god. A few EU characters make their appearance as well.

16. omnipotentatus

omnipotentatus Second Year

So, it updated Chapter 22.
    It seems like Luke is going to be redeemed, and turned to the light by his sister. Even though nothing truly interesting happened in the chapter, it does seem like something will happen eventually. I'm guessing Luke will complete his betrayal of Palpatine and the empire, and fully join the rebellion in the chapters to come.

17. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Yeah, I'm in this really weird place where the redemption is exactly what I want going forward. Yet I can't help but dread its actual occurrence. Depending on how everything unravels the story could potentially lose what's special about it, not that I think Blank won't handle it well... but I don't know, who thought nonjon could make a noticeable dip in quality?

I definitely wanted to see Luke school Leia during a spar though, just to give him a way to shut her up. Man can that girl talk.

18. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

19. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

The angst is becoming a little drawn out by chapter 23.

20. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Of the sequel...