1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WitchHunt #7

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Citrus, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

OMGUS Vote: Owner

---------- Post automerged at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

But seriously though:

Ugh. 480+ posts is a lot of posts to go through one evening with any level of analysis involved.. Realistically, I've only half read the last 100 so far. That's something I'll need to rectify tomorrow, and the readwall post that I planned to enter with tonight is going to have to wait till tomorrow as well because I just can't tonight.

So quick state of the thread post. Sorry if it's a bit disjointed, I'm tired and not feeling great.

So let's address the elephant in the room - we have 3 dead. Waco is clearly town. Vira was quite scummy - I can break that down tomorrow if necessary, but I think that was self-evident. TDS was almost equally clearly newb!town. The Newcomb reveal supports this, which makes me feel pretty damn good about it, if.

If.

If we trust Newcomb is telling the truth.

Which... I kinda do? Or rather, I felt pretty good about his first giant post in that he said a ton of the things that I noted as I was catching up, and the reveal agrees with what I already thought about the gamestate. We're probably living in that world.

But the thing with Newcomb and me is this: we think fairly similarly, so whereas I need to read some posts 3+ times to grok the thrust of it, I can read his posts quickly and easily because we seem to think similarly. This has gotten me in trouble before, because I sort of unconsciously give him the benefit of the doubt because I see him as reasonable.

The other thing is that I’m not sure I agree with about who he think we should go after now. Which... is a little gross? I mean sure, maybe we’re just drawing different conclusions because we saw different things or he's more experienced or whatever, but maybe he’s filtering things through a scum perspective as well. Idk, it’s weird to me that we’ve mindmelded and suddenly have different directions of interest.

But also I'm especially edgy with Newcomb because the last game I played with him I built a life for myself inside his pocket happily ignoring the obvious signs of my mistake after campaigning for lump for scum!Newcomb.

Basically, I guess I'm saying that I think he's telling the truth and on the level, but also that I’m not sure he should be treated like confirmed town and be allowed to lead the thread around.

I /think/ that's where mal is too, so +town to him for being properly suspicious.

As far as a vote from me goes...

Vote: Snowvon

Your game is not your towngame. Your game is not your scumgame. Has becoming a father to that horrifying thing in your hand changed you so much? (But seriously, give me some town!Von pls)

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Some of those worlds are a little wonky, and not just the ones with me in them.

Vira/Snowvon/X is kinda funny because I had the thought that if Von is actually mafia here, the third is probably you, heh, given Von's kinda lamely sticking with the roleplaying=towny thing and you kinda third-party poking at him toDay.

Don't really believe in that world, though.

Talk to me about Vira/Mal/Slip vs. Vira/fontiTyphon/Koalas. I get not thinking Koalas/Slip are w/w, but is there any particular reason you couldn't see Vira/Mal/Koalas or Vira/Slip/fontiTyphon?

Yes, you should. Decent catch, though.

So in your catchup burst you push on Kalas, owner, and Miner. It's mechanically certain that at least one of those is town. Where are you wrong?

I'm flattered by your attention but at some point people are going to just going to have to wake up and realize that my scumgame is not that good. It's annoying having people be paranoid of me to that extent; like owner thinking a possible world is me/Vira/Miner, or last game Proph thinking I could be with Von and Sloth. Like... come on.

I will say that yes, if you mindmelded with my catchup post but now you think Miner is town and Snowvon is mafia, then yeah, we are not seeing the game the same way at all.

___

Hottakes:

Von's probably my top town. I think I talked myself into it when I was explaining Von's town meta to Miner.

Still think owner is town. I don't see any guile in her posts; she's not posting with any kind of agenda. The stuff tom pointed out makes me pause, but none of it really shook the read I had late D1 when I picked out those genuine sounding posts. If she /is/ a witch here, eventually all this hemming and hawing and evaluating and never actually coming to hard conclusions is going to bite her in the ass and she'll get PoE'd. But... I think she's just town here.

Jan's probably town; I believe he is genuinely trying to figure me out. The way he's approaching me toDay doesn't feel like he's trying to push anything on me, it feels legit.

tom's probably town. I believe he believes the owner read and some of the angles he's taking don't really make sense unless he's with exactly certain people, and I think those worlds end up being too restrictive. That could just be talking out of my ass though. I wish fonti hadn't subbed out; I think I would have had something definitive on how tom followed up on his Secret Plan to Read Fonti.

Typhon and Mal are both doing standard Them stuff. Typhon's paranoia of me is what I'd expect here; it's also trivial to fake and basically a free action for scum. Mal's entrance is textbook Mal, right down to the bitching about wagons and votes. idk what I think of his metareads; don't really agree with the Jan one; don't understand the tom one. I really liked his prod at Jan for Jan pushing me on an underwhelming Vira spew analysis while not having taken that step himself.

Kalas and Silp are kinda blurring in my head even though they post differently. They're kinda mirror images though; tunneling each other D1 and semi-backing off today and talking about doing broader analysis and not really doing it. I think I'd vote on either one at this point. I'd like more people to weigh in here; I've been thinking of them in my head as hard unaligned; I'd love to hear some discussion on this.

Miner I've talked about.

I feel pretty locked in to Vira/Miner/X, and while I think it's likely there's one between Kalas and Slip, I have this nagging feeling we're actually literally replaying MM7 and it's going to end up being "oh wait they're both town" and it's actually Mal or Typhon and we have to chaingun our way through the entire PoE to win this.

If I had to pick a mafia out of the townblock of Von, owner, tom, Jan I guess it's tom? But I think that kinda opens the field; I really don't think Miner is mafia in that world. Tom/Jan would be fucking gross. I'd almost believe it's owner/Von over that, just for pride reasons.

But yeah... this still "feels" like we're winning this one, and the townblock is good.

Does anyone else tend to think of mafia games in terms of gameflow and kinda, game narrative? Like... you can kinda tell how a game is shaping up even before D1 ends and you have any hard information. Like you can't name any individual thing but it's like an unconscious "I've played this kind of game before" feeling.

Kind of a tangent, but the more mafia I play, the more I feel like everything is just variations on a theme. Like Vira... the case against her wasn't a slam dunk - yet it kinda was? Even just her first three posts - you can't point to any one thing it's just this... "this feels familiar".

Okay that got a little rambley, clearly time for bed.

3. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    There's a part of me that thinks I'm holding miner to an impossible standard of towniness.
    Like, it is absolutely insane how townie he was in mimefia.

But he's just so... idk.
    He's not thinking like a townie. Repeatedly.

Owner I need to iso, but her posting today has felt so crafted. Which is expected.

She spent yesterday saying nothing with any real meaning. It's all so hidden behind layers of consideration lent to the reader's perception.
    In short, it was good roleplaying.

But today, so much of the reaction she's trying to evoke is towards being read as town. It's a marked change, and it's not a good look.

Koalas just says scummy shit sometimes.
    So yeah, that's the read I'm least sure of. Town says scummy shit.

Vote miner
    Making it official.
    I'd pretty happily move to owner.
    I think those two ends the game (without rereading, isoing anyone, or understanding the setup. lolme)

4. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Ehh. Idk about Miner. Can somebody give me the cliff notes on why he's being widely scum read? Like, I had him as fairly town early on, and I haven't focused him since (another thing for today I guess), but...

Like no, his play isn't like it's been before, but it feels like someone who's trying to evolve past flailing newbie into a more thoughtful player and not doing the best job of it imo? That's mostly a gut read from my read through, although there are a couple of posts that I could probably go back and find that highlight that for me. Idk, maybe I missed something.

It's concerning to me because Tom is probably my top town and he feels like miner is scum, and Newcomb's alignment is sort of the lens through which our status in the game has to be viewed and one of my biggest concerns about him is that we were on the same page, and then he started pushing miner (among other differences in read).

So if I'm failing to see something, obvious somebody sanity check me. Mal, what do you think of miner?

5. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Vote Count 2.2

Official Vote Count 2.2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Miner (2): Newcomb (#425), Tom (#503)
    Tom (1): KaiMallorean (#442)
    KaiMallorean (1): Jan (#443)
    Jan (1): Miner (#444)
    Typhon (1): Owner (#499)
    Snowvon (1): FonTyphon (#501)

Not Voting (3): Koalas, SlipperyAxII, Snowvon

With 10 alive, it takes 6 to soft lynch (when day ends, such a player will be lynched).
    With 13 alive, it takes 2/3 * 10 rounded up = 7 to hard lynch (day immediately ends with the lynch).

Without a hard lynch, Day 2 ends in 35 hours

Edit: fixed day-end timestamp, thanks FonTyphon! (I had copy + pasted the old one)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  6. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Err. Unless the clock is to a different time, the day ends in ~35 hours, which a bit more pressing.

7. SlipperyAxII

SlipperyAxII Muggle

High Score:
    Morning.

These are the reads I will not take back this game.

Snowvon is a Solid citizen for me even though the Wyrm is destined to grow up to be an awful WitchDragon determined to take over the world. I could go into a long string of quotes breaking down thought processes and interactions to why I think this which I am well known for in my many years of playing the game. Ah the subtle humor there amuses me.

Jan is a semi solid citizen for me which is based on a combination of feeling and how he is playing the game. He is uncertain of newcomb as am I . He points out the flaws in some of the reasoning people are giving and follows back up on it. He is having fun in the thread despite all the lack of talk about the wonderful DC TV shows like the Flash or Lucifer or the Flash. Did I mention the Flash enough ?
    Jan Since you are my favorite Jello because of the semi solid remark Why does owner think you would kill me or her night one ? I haven't played forum in months and you asked me to play. Did you become extremely rude in my absence or something ? It didn't make sense to me when I read it before going to sleep. My cat is sleeping on the web cam by the way and says meow.

Word of the Day is Jello.

8. Miner

Miner Order Member

I'm around for a couple hours.

Newcomb

I should rephrase. I'm not okay with being lynched today, but if you are the one who pushes for it, I still wouldn't suspect you of trying to push a ml the same way I do Jan or tom. Like, I'm okay with it being you who wants to lynch me, not the actually being lynched part.

As for spewing reads...
    Jan I've already talked about.
    I'll take your word for it that Von's town. The one game I played with him he got d1 lynched as scum, so I don't have a whole lot to go off of. Especially since the quote you put in as his scumgame was Concussion mafia. Can I get a couple other towngames of von to read?

And while we're at it, could you link me to a scumgame of yours besides mimefia?

I've no idea about Typhon.
    ^This is true. And it makes me want to like him. But, I really can't say from what he's said so far. He did replace fonti, so I guess I inherently want to lynch him, but I think he's ~null.

mal I disagreed with (over you Newcomb), but his posts make me think he's town. The way he talked about TDS's leeroy (esp. the angels and demons part) makes me think he's town.

tom
    Yesterday, I counted Jan, you, Newcomb, von, and slippery as people who were on board with lynching me. Hard lynch is 7. Soft lynch is 6. I'd rather get out the info I did have because I didn't know if I could be on before EOD and there was also always the chance you got two more votes and I got hard lynched.

9. SlipperyAxII

SlipperyAxII Muggle

High Score:
    Hello I reconsidered but I can see you with Vira. Associative reads are a crap shot though so sorry it's not the best accusation. My cat typed 63 repeatedly to you as well but no clue what he means by that. Where are you in the game right now ?

Vote Koalas

10. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Had a very busy couple of days guys sorry. Been trying to keep up in thread but I petered out around Jan's and.. owners? Marvel discussion.

I'm not 100% town on Newcomb but a reveal toDay verus Day 3 makes much more sense from a Town perspective (wifom applicable). I don't see Slipp/Vira in like.. any world? Her vote just seemed too textbook scum sweet spot. Even if she was rusty the only w/w world that makes sense in is deliberate bad play to kiiiiind of make unaligned pairs. Which is, you know, not ideal play. So, despite posting tendencies, I'm really only seeing scum Slipp with scum Newcomb.

---------- Post automerged at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

I'll be able to do mentions in a couple hours when I get on a computer for a bit but I think New asked me about von? Still a town lean but probably needs a focused reread at this point.

11. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    So if you roleplayed day 1, you'd continue it the whole game and not let people read you?

How would that benefit the individual alignments?

Does the change seem so bad if the only benefit is that it is you (put yourself in my shoes) being an agent of chaos if you don't change your ways?

---------- Post automerged at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

I guess the Snowvon/x world I'd put Snowvon with fontiTyphon, as fonti was playing similarly to how she played in Teen Wolf where she was mafia. And Snowvon was playing differently to his Teen Wolf game where he was town with me. But I could also see Snowvon learning something from that experience. Because I know after some games, the next game I've picked something out from prior games that help me to read them in the current games. Fonti has some posts that say nothing. But she is critical of people reading me as town. She also one of the ones who pushed an agenda against waco. Typhon hasn't felt like he has an agenda yet or anything or maybe I haven't looked at him enough. For the Vira/fontiTyphon/Koalas world, they are independent reads. fontiTyphon because of the kill on waco combined with yesterdays push against him. Tom did also vote against waco yesterday. So part of me wants to nag him about that, but the way he pushed on me and whoever voted for him seems kind of carefree, as in nothing is going to knock him over or phase him. That kind of confidence is null in my mind. That attitude would be really cocky and misplaced if a witch. But I think I still a shot that he's town. Like I said Koalas is an independent read from fontiTyphon. My read of him I guess is on the weaker side of things. I read him as possible scum for having very different reads. For example him being suspicious of slippery and me, I don't know Slippery's alignment. But at the time, he voted for him yesterday, I was reading Slippery as town. But him not having the same reads as me could easily just be us clashing. My world doesn't have to be right. I mean I want to be correct in my reads like how the Teen Wolf game was, but it isn't guaranteed to turn out that way.

The Vira/Mal/Slip world isn't that strong. This one of kind of Poe from my prior reads in combination with today's claims and thinking/being paranoid that one of my town reads isn't town.

12. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

I am not sure why she would think that.

Maybe she thinks people that played videomafia with me have an easier time reading me?
    If i was mafia i was more inclined to kill you?

In the end I would have killed
    1. a person who might be the priest.
    2. someone who will be able to become confirmed town just by their own playstyle.
    3. someone who is unlikely to be saved by the angel(s).

(And then discuss that with my teammates etc)
    You guys might have more experience with me in the video format, but the other people have played more forum games with me.

You should ask her why she believes that i am more likely to kill one of you.

13. SlipperyAxII

SlipperyAxII Muggle

High Score:
    owner What do you think of newcomb ? I am slightly suspicious of him personally so want to know your thoughts right at this moment about his alignment. This will fail however if you aren't around which would be ironic.
    Koalas What do you think of newcomb as well ? I will apologize slightly for some posts being not as clear as I intended after going back and rereading at the slowest pace possible. The one where the "I equals Koalas and you equals Slippery' however is not included in that slight apology. You know that one that transformed into "Why do you have a problem with town being read town "

---------- Post automerged at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Again it doesn't put a space between the two ARGGGGHHHHHH!

14. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

just give them each their own post :p

15. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    For the record, SlipperyAxII, you interpreted my post wrong. I said Jan would be the one to keep us alive.

I'm leaning towards Newcomb being town, but I think his claim will resolve itself in the night so I'm not overly focused with him at the moment.

16. SlipperyAxII

SlipperyAxII Muggle

High Score:
    I think I like it better even though it now takes a personal toll on me when people post a lot. I also personally like it better when I post as the thread goes even though it takes me far longer to write posts and people will echo my thoughts in the posts that go up first if that makes sense to anyone else.

17. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    Lol, we've talked about this. A lot of people don't know how to read you. And you also struggle to read a bunch of people.

As I'm bringing it up now, if either one of you died I'd think the other would be pretty locked town. But maybe that's only true for video mafia.

---------- Post automerged at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------
    Jan, you can stop posting at any time and let me and slippery chat it up. I'll keep the top poster spot warm.

---------- Post automerged at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Tomorrow, I have an interview. I'm kind of scared, but if nail this, I might really get this job. One of the guys I already talked to for like 45 minutes, we really hit it off as having a lot of similar interests. As long as the interview goes well, I think I'm a shoo-in to get the job. Plus, my aunt is the boss.

---------- Post automerged at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

*Breaks fourth wall* *and waves hi to this Prophylaxis person who seems to be watching us* *hopes that they are friendly and don't want to eat me*

---------- Post automerged at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

But owner what if they are an alien? Then you just insulted their intelligence. Oh crap! How am I going to fix this? *waves hi the sentient being or unknown entity known as Prophylaxis* *tries to communicate but other side forces can't speak with those this threaded timeline events that we will string together and make, no forge forward and create our own story that shapes our very being and gives us purpose and life and death and maybe taxes.*

18. SlipperyAxII

SlipperyAxII Muggle

High Score:
    I refuse. ;)

I had to move my big fan because Orion cat kept sleeping on top and falling off with this awful thunk.

So who do you think are the remaining Witches ?

I've played with neither of the replacements at all so no clue what their posting styles mean as regards to alignment. At least this game I can't get blown up today which is a plus at least ;) KaBOOY.

19. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    Awwww, Rob's kitty *stares in wonder*

20. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    I got asked really wordy questions.

I think the answers are "bro that's scummy thinking right there" and "yes roleplay forever. I just finished a gam with von in which I only had one post that wasn't flavor text from a magic card"

Hey koalas
    Ask me a really wordy question that I can half heartedly answer.
    This is fun.