1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New PC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Eilyfe, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Well, Corsair sold a lot of shit PSUs back in the day - still do as a matter of fact. The only really recommended ones are pretty much the RMX and RMi series. It's a pretty big problem in the PSU market actually - you take a cheap model from PSU manufacturer X, slap your name on it and there you go, you're now selling PSUs.

Well, how much higher would you go then? 600W I can see with some builds, but anything more just seems wasteful.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Probably 50-100 over what I need, depending on the quality and price of what I can get in that range.

Right now, I have a AX1200, 12000w PSU because of a build I once had. Only probably need half of that or less at this point. But hey, it works well so no reason to dump it. At least I know it'll power my fans.;)

3. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    LED's my friend. Lots and lots of LEDs.

4. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Hey, so, after everything the computer is almost set to go, but there's only one thing that I'm worried about. The CPU, we've talked about it for a bit, but I'm worried it will seriously bottleneck the GPU in high end games or when I play total war, so I have to ask, is it worth it replacing my CPU (CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 3.07GHz) for an i7 6700K , Cache 8MB, Skylake 6a Generation, Quad-Core 4.0GHz? Is it worth paying the extra? Or I can just wait one or two years before replacing it?

Finally, monitor recs are also welcome, not too expensive, but something big but comfortable so that I can enjoy my new PC features.

5. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I don't play Total War at all, so I can't speak for that, but an i5-6600, 32gb RAM, GTX1070 machine will play Witcher 3 at 1080p with everything on max settings (except hairworks, that shit is ridiculous) and very rarely drop below 60fps. So I can't imagine what a i7/1080 combo would do much better other that give you dick-waggling numbers. I guess if you're going to go for 4K max settings that would need more power, but I'm not to that point yet, and not sure I care really. Or Mrs. Seattle threatens me when I bring it up.

6. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Since you wrote that this will be mainly a gaming PC, getting an i7 itself is not worth it (the main feature - hyperthreading - doesn't improve performance in most games). Personally, I'd just get all the other parts now and test it with the OSD of MSI Afterburner or something. If you run into a CPU limit, get a new one and if not then you've saved some money. Or is there some reason that you have to get everything at the same time?

And if it does limit the GPU, then get an i5 6600 with a B150 or H170 chipset motherboard (or if you plan on overclocking, get the 6600K with a Z170 board). Of course you'll also need RAM, so get some DDR4-2133 with your prefered capacity (16GB should be more than enough). If you plan on overclocking you could also get something like DDR4-3000, but since a higher RAM clock doesn't really improve performance...well it's somewhat wasted money.

Depends on what resolution you want. 1080p? 1440p? And how large? 24"? 27"? Generally Dell and BenQ are pretty good, but make sure that the monitor has Displayport and preferably an IPS panel.

As for some recommendations, the Dell U2515H is pretty good for 1440p, and the Dell U2414H is good for 1080p. The U2515H is also available as a 27" model with the name U2715H if you prefer that.

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

For the monitor? 1440p, and at least 27", although I think that bigger than that wouldn't be healthy.

I already have 16GB of DDR3, I really don't want to spend on that for now. I don't aim over clock either.

Regarding the motherboard, will I have to replace it too if I replace the CPU? And no. I don't need to buy it all at once.

8. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

So would the U2715H be in your prefered price range then? Or do you want something cheaper?

If you decide to get a new CPU, you'll have to also get a new motherboard and new RAM. Like I said, testing first if it's needed is probably the best solution.

9. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

It's always nice if we get them cheaper, but if it's worth it, then it's right around my maximum price range. Give it or take 100 dollars, it's the same price as the Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q, BenQ Xl2720z, Dell S2716DG. I know that all of them aren't 1440p, but around that price range these are the ones I was looking and are available in Brazil.

10. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't recommend getting 1440p enough it is a huge improvement. Personally I would usually always go a lower graphic setting at a higher resolution (high instead of ultra).