1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Scryer - DLP's FF Search Engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I added some basic character genders behind the scenes, making the tags a lot more accurate at least for HP. I still need to go through many of the popular fandoms and gender tag the characters.

[​IMG]

Soon: filtering by these tags.

2. moonpotato

moonpotato First Year

Not flagging it is the right call I feel. From what I can tell, the general consensus seems to be in agreement that WbA shouldn't be the place for the public to go to read. Furthermore, not all Scryer users are even able to view WbA in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Two things: Could you please add Fate/stay night to the fandom list?

Second, what's the official stance on sharing Scryer with other sites/non-DLP users?

4. Lord Ravenclaw

BTT Sorry I missed this earlier.

I've flipped the flag for FSN. Should be there in an hour or so.

Scryer is for all, not just DLP users. Feel free to share it with whomever you like.

5. Lucia

Lucia First Year

It's not a big issue, but the only character listing that matches its fandom is the one for Harry Potter. For instance, if I were to try to find a fic in the Naruto fandom, I wouldn't be able to narrow the search using characters because the scryer would still display the character list for Harry Potter. That said, the scryer's an amazing tool, and thanks for developing it.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Do you have Javascript disabled? Scryer loads in alternate character lists via JS calls. Naruto (and other fandoms) work for me:

[​IMG]

7. Lucia

Lucia First Year

Huh, how odd. I do have it enabled...

Here's a picture of what's happening:
    http://imgur.com/a/WPGR3

But I guess it's not a very big deal. And the issue clearly does lie on my end.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  8. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

This issue was happening to me as well, JavaScript was enabled on my phone.

9. Lord Ravenclaw

If you're using Chrome, can you go to View -> Developer -> Javascript console and try changing fandoms? Then go to console and see if there's any errors.

e.x.:
    [​IMG]

Which phone? Which browser?

10. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

Galaxy S7 edge, chrome, JavaScript is turned on from settings -> site setting.

Edit: You can select multiple fandoms as primary. It didn't update characters after choosing Avatar and deselecting Harry Potter. I reloaded the page with those settings, deselected Avatar, selected F/SN, and then the charactet list updated.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  11. carl

carl Seventh Year

This looks to have stopped updating, are FF blocking it or something changed their side?

12. Benguin

Benguin Squib

High Score:
    I've been looking for alternate sites for my fanfiction appetite when I found this, but I was wondering since Scryer is associated with DLP, is there any way for the login info and library database itself to be linked to this DLP forum in the sense that one can log in to both sites at the same time.

Also with regards to the advanced search engine, I saw that -slash designates that the summary will contain no slash, but if the summary states that "there is no slash" will the it still be filtered out?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  13. Alpaca Queen

Alpaca Queen Fourth Year

Yes. This is how searches of this type work; they scan the text for matches of the query and filter results accordingly. It takes a more complicated algorithm to discern meaning and filter results semantically. Thus, when you ask Scryer to remove all results containing "slash", you exclude all summaries containing the word, including those which feel the pressing and completely unnecessary need to deny its presence.

(To prove this to yourself, you can search: -slash +"no slash". If -slash did not filter out no slash, then you would expect to see results. However, nothing appears.)

As a simple workaround, you can do two searches. First, you do your -slash search, as per usual, and take what results you find. Then, if you are unsatisfied and want more stories, you can repeat the search, but replace -slash with +"no slash", and that will get you anything you missed.

14. Makani

Makani Muggle

High Score:
    I recently found the site, but I somehow always got the error "Confirmation token invalid" while trying to confirm my email. I gave up, but visited again today, and found the link to this thread. Just wanted to tell you about it.
    I visited the website on mobile, iOS 10.2, Chrome App. Could be that I'm not the only one with this problem, but I don't know.

And somehow even if it says that after 24h my Account becomes inaccessible, I could still use it.

15. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    I was not entirely satisfied with what scryer offered and made an alternative.
    The main difference is that my app allows to tag fanfiction and exclude it from further searches once you are done with it. I don't have as much search options but it's been working fine for me this last year so I decided to go public.

The app is here: https://github.com/Zeks/ffnet_search/releases/tag/0.5.2
    Here is the video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExeOrZYx4po
    The app is rough around the edges but mostly functional.
    Note that app only allows searches in 60+k words and everything you see in the list to the left (once the app starts, not the video) has already been preloaded.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  16. oakgem217

oakgem217 First Year

I tried making an account on scryer, but for some reason, the confirmation email isn't being sent to my email address. I've tried reloading both pages repeatedly, logging in and out, and nothing seems to be working.

Am I doing something wrong?

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Account? Drome tells me that you can make an account and do a lot with it, but it's not really required for basic functionality. Though it might have a lot of the stuff zekses wants if you do.

You go here - https://scryer.darklordpotter.net/ - and then you input the stuff you want to search for. Then it returns a list of fics from ffnet matching your criteria.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  18. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    No it doesn't. All the accounts currently are is saving searches which I'd say is almost completely useless.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  19. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Nah, just saved search functionality right now. The other stuff I mentioned was just stuff that might be potentially added or is being worked on by Raven, and the account linking is there to pave the way for that.

20. Lord Ravenclaw

Google confirmed delivery all three times according to the Mailgun logs. Check your spam folder. In any case, I've activated your account manually.

That's your opinion. I use my saved searches. That said, we have some more features not turned on to everyone yet that are fairly nice. Automatic bookmarking and user tags (personal and crowdsourced) will be released fairly soon.

You're welcome to contribute feedback. I'd welcome the feedback. What is it that Scryer doesn't do for you? You're also welcome to make pull requests -- it is opensource.

However, if all you want to do is moan about Scryer and not provide feedback, take it elsewhere.