1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So Legion launch was August 30. I have just wasted nearly a month on a character that I have just found out is not viable atm for Heroics and Mythics Raiding.

Don't get me wrong, Mythic Dungeons, Raiding Normal? Blood DKs are fucking boss. It is not unusual for me to outheal the healer/healers as a Blood DK.

The Blood DK selfheals are just that fucking OP.

But come Heroic Raiding? Let alone Mythic raiding which is released tomorrow?

Blood DK = Instant Decline in Heroic Raiding Queue and I'm guessing (lulz guessing, 110% chance) Mythic Raiding.

Why?

It comes down to this.

Most of Blood DKs damage reduction (see: damage reduction <-- this is important) comes down to how much DPS we dish out which adds reduction to our Blood Shield. They nerfed every tanks DPS at launch because it was so OP (out DPSing DPS classes) but they didn't factor in that Blood DK damage reduction comes from their DPS unlike other tank classes.

So atm Blood DKs are in a bad spot. They outheal any other tank, even some healers, but their damage reduction is redundant compared to other tanks because of reliance on DPS for reduction.

The same tank DPS which got nerfed.

For a lot of bosses damage reduction, the crux of this problem, does't matter when compared to Blood DKs self heals. Blood DK self heals negates the difference between damage reduction vs self heals. But for a boss like Cenarius on Heroic Difficulty where damage reduction is the difference between victory and a wipe via spear dmg AoE spread? Which for those who don't know the more damage you take the larger the AoE spread.

tl;dr The better the tanks damage reduction = the survivability of the raid increases.

Cenarius with limited DMG reduction basically = wipe on Heroic let alone the coming Mythic difficulty.

So as such Blood DKs are the tank bitches atm. Most raids will instant decline because they know as soon as they reach Cenarius on Heroic Difficulty, a Blood DK won't be able to dmg reduce the spear enough to not cover 1/4 of the map to prevent wipe.

I am so fucking salty atm.

SO FUCKING SALTY.

Pay me out. I deserve it.

Blood DKs (and frost/unholy but that's a different story and idc about DK dps atm since I'm keen on tanking) just aren't valid right now. It's not a factor of gear rather it's just that Blood DKs aren't equip to handle the mechanic of one single fucking boss fight so they won't get picked.

Simple as.

End of.

So I'm back on my WW monk and pwning up BGs.

God rest Blood DK raiding until patched with some damage reduction for one single fucking boss fight to get picked for Heroic and Mythic raiding.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I spotted your problem fairly easily.

You queue for raids.

And you somehow expect them to take something sub optimal.

If you're queuing with randoms there is absolutely zero reason to bring anything but the best. That concept is just never going to happen. To keep building random groups to raid you can go FOTM or somehow otherwise impress, though I'm hard pressed as to why you'd want to.

Or you join a raid guild. It doesn't have to be hardcore. In fact most hard core guilds would require you to keep 2-3 characters max'ed out just for this reason, to never be sub-optimal. A more 'casual' approach is what I prefer these days, a mythic raiding guild with 3 nights a week of raiding. It doesn't require stacking of the currently best performing classes, though it helps.

I understand your saltiness, I do. I play havoc and the announced nerfs are just nonsensical. Our AoE damage is out of control yet they nerf our single target. That said this is normal in WoW - balancing shuffles stuff around semi-regularly. Find a place to enjoy the game consistently and these 'hits' will be less impactful.

3. Krieger

I've been tyring bruh I've been trying, but queuing is really my only option. I've got 3 separate jobs and unfortunately none of them are on a predictably roster. I can go weeks without work then be working 12-13 hour days 14 days on 4 days off.

So no guild for me.

I've got one group that are happy that I'm blood DK because they can put one less healer on me. But beyond that...

Yeah. I would love a guild, but because of my inconstancy of work hours it's basically PUG life for me.

And as you said, PUG life doesn't = Blood DK.

4. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My main problem with WoW has always been the insanely unbalanced classes and specs. Blizzard intentionally shifts the fotm every patch or at least expansion, but a few times certain specs have just been unviable for the highest level of pve and pvp. Can they REALLY not balance it so that the highest dps doesn't do 60% more than the lowest?

5. Krieger

When hasn't Hunter being valid?

Like really. Idc care what class is fotm but I'll vote just so Hunter isn't.

Bring back chain lighting for ele plz.

6. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

How is the Mage at the moment? I used to play fire Mage in vanilla and gave up when everyone turned frost once the elemental came in, before is was more split although arcane was never OP.

From what I read Mage has never really been changed a lot, ice is still OP and no one is fire.

7. Krieger

Gotta read more up to date info. Fire is OP atm. I've been in Mythics where fire mage is pulling 300-350k single target (200k is pulling your weight and then some).

They are basically up their as the DPS class with Arms Warriors and DH.

So yeah, Fire mage = one of if not the most OP single target DPS class atm.

---------- Post automerged at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

So roaming around in my sober state doing the world quests for the daily emissary and it struck me how far WoW has come.

I mean obviously it doesn't compare to todays triple A titles but it still looks really good for a game with such low system requirements.

Anyone else got some sick arse screenshots?

8. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fire mages aren't op imo. They're in a good spot. Sometimes you'll see ludicrously high numbers in dungeons though because bosses die quick and having a cd that makes your crit 100%...? Yeah...

They're much more reasonable in raids.

I rolled a mage alt (and druid) in prep for them hilariously fucking up spriest, but I'm playing Arcane. I find it way more fun and reliant on my skill as opposed to my crits.

Fire now is basically getting crits. That's all that matters (ignite is huge dmg too, but it's a rolling dot based on your dmg so whatever). Two crits give you an instant cast pyroblast. There's SOME nuance, like getting 2 and sometimes 3 pyros in a row, but yeah.

It's definitely viable. One of the best specs along with MM hunter.

9. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh damn is MM viable at end game? It was so stupendously bad while leveling I never touched it again. I got spoiled on my first character by leveling a tank and I expected a dps to be better at killing things, not worse. Now the gear disparity at 110 is so bad that I don't even feel like re-grinding at 110 to get my class hall set via rep and dungeons just so that I can level up my skinning and leather working.

P s. How'd the tank nerfs roll out? There were rumors they were all going to take a hit yesterday or last Tuesday but I haven't had time to play at all.

10. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate you people for waking up an old itch I thought I had long since suppressed. How are Warlocks at the moment? I stopped after Cataclysm but I still miss my Lock, he was my boy.

11. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll be honest if you've stayed away this long I wouldn't come back. Right now I'm finding out that this xpac is worse than then all the others in terms of busy work. The fact that the rewards are so good this early on is just bad for the health of the game too, I'm sure. I'm ilevel 838 on my paladin, so basically I can only do mythic dungeons or raid for upgrades (neither of which I have time for) or grins out tireless hours for minute gains on my artifacts. Either way there's a lot to do but not a lot that feels worth doing. Personally I'll probably let my time lapse (having the gold already saved up for the next time period means I can come back in whenever for free essentially) when things are different.

12. chriar

chriar Third Year

Krogan, warlocks recently got a large buff across all their specs because they were garbage. It seems like now they are performing better based on the logs I've seen, but I would wait until the end of the week to really see.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    I don't think that's totally fair regarding busy work. You get to a point where you just run out of shit to efficiently do (i mean, you can clear all the world quests, but why? o_O)

I'm at a point now that I do my wq daily (roughly 20 mins, or you can let them stack to 3 and knock them all out in an hour every 3 days) and then do the raid.

There's mythics too, but i kinda missed the wod train so I'm still sussing them out. They seem to basically be beefy heroics on a 1 week lockout?

Ofc I'm playing alts, but that's my own damn fault, lol

14. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Finding myself with more free time than expected, i've reactivated for the first time since 2011. I have an 85 mage on Ghostlands-EU, but I feel like a fresh start so i'll be levelling on either Outland (alliance), Kazzak or Stormscale (Horde). Shoot me a PM if you'd like to add me/join!

15. Gengar

High Score:
    Finally got pathfinder achieve which involved completing the Suramar story and creating the Arcan'dor.

I love it. Way, way more interesting than illidan and the legion (even though the legion are very much involved with Suramar).

I'm glad to hear there's more coming in 7.1. I wonder if you have to be exalted with Nightfallen (like you do now to get to the end) to start it. I've a feeling it'll lead into the next raid.

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

So, downloaded wow, installed all the expansions minus legion. Updated all my addons. Then, purchase game time using gold - luckily I have enough gold from my short time playing to pay for over a year, but I only buy a month for now.

Then, I log in. Notice that my bags are completely full of garrison loot boxes. My main has 1300 of them completely clogging the inventory. Check my mage. 1200 of them. check my warrior. another 1300. check my druid. 1100. what. the. fuck

17. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

You serious? Take a screen cap? How much gold/resources did you get from em all?

If you are capped on garrison resources keep buying trade goods at the vendor which you can then sell for gold.

18. Anarchy

I opened all the ones on my shaman, netting around 20k gold from vendoring all the stuff (around 1300 boxes, I kept the Boe epics and some of the blues). Then, for some crazy reason, I disenchanted all the ones on my mage (took HOURS).

http://imgur.com/a/TUyUv

I have two more characters that are that full left to do. I'm not sure how it even got like that, but I would have sworn that I remember them stacking to like 100 or something. Or maybe they didn't stack at all, then it was switched to stacks of 20?

19. Anarchy

So, I made it to 110 over the weekend. Started thursday, made it at the end of saturday. It was quick and mostly painless, and the zones were pretty nice. Lots of wtf moments lorewise though.

Thinking back on it, I really should have bought the game on release day, because I feel like I'm two months behind, and the new patch just dropped today. And, that being said, I still somehow made it this far without being spoiled at all. Like, I literally didn't know what the new class was until I bought the game.

One of the things that is bothering me is my class, which is enhancement shaman. Apparently, in the year and a half I stopped playing, it got overhauled (again). Which is weird, because apparently I only missed one raid during that time (I stopped playing a bit after Blackrock Foundry came out, and there was only one more raid in that expansion). I still remember when we couldn't dual wield, and had to use 2 handed weapons (heck, I got my guilds Sulfuras back when it was relevant). Then, dual weilding became the best thing, then 2h disappeared altogether, then we started losing totems and shocks and brands, then the talent tree system got overhauled and then removed, and flash forward to today where the last change seems to be the removal of all totems (seriously, I have zero, no fire elemental awesomeness anymore) and no offensive shocks. We no longer have retarded aoe with flame shock spreading and flame nova nonsense. It feels like a completely different class from where it was at last year.

I don't dislike the class, in fact, it's still my favorite class, but it's just annoying that it feels like I'm having to relearn the same character for what feels like the 6th time. I just think it could have been done transitionally, rather than just massive changes. Regardless, I haven't actually done any end game stuff yet. I've done only 4 of the dungeons on normal (and only one in each of the first 4 main zones to do the quest). I've completed 4 of the emissary world quest combos which gave me a couple upgrades. I think I'm going to try and finish up Surumar and try and get some gear from some heroics. May try to get in a LFR raid by the end of the week if I can manage it, though with the new raid freshly out and me having no gear and no experience, it should be interesting. Oh, and I've also got to finish my class campaign. I'm actually not sure how far in I am, but I just finished doing the 4 required follower missions for Thunderaan (side note - why are there fewer followers and all the missions takes forever? Is it because they don't want it to feel like a mindless facebook game anymore?). I did get the rest of my artifact weapons though, so I guess that's a thing.

20. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Expansion times are usually good times for massive overhauls, I quite approve of the more niche 'feels' to the different classes and specializations. Though I understand the frustration with feeling your class change under you - I no longer enjoy my rogue at all for example. I still enjoy my shaman though, even though my new main is the demon hunter.

As for being behind I wouldn't overly worry about it, just keep your artifact knowledge research going and don't bother to go crazy on the AP farm before you've reached a certain knowledge rank.

When it comes to gearing up, unless you're playing with friends that wants to run m+ with you, you can do one mythic and get carried for free gear fairly easily. I tend to do those carries for AP/legendary chance/TF chance myself and spot them all the time. Don't do it if you actually want to progress through mythic plus runs though, your key will be ruined and will take time to regress down to a manageable level with the lower gear.