1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Vaimes, Nov 8, 2016.

1. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    but yeah proph was drome's replacement

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

owner

I'm not?

He's definitely in the POE, and I'm looking at a d4 lynch on him if I'm right about my reads right now.

But Majube and/or Jarizok need to die. Like right now.

3. Miner

Miner Order Member

Still looking forward to that mistress owner story.

4. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I suggest Jarizok then.

5. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    EBWOP: Writing via mobile at the moment.

6. Majube

High Score:
    You killed the other girl...
    I don't really think that's relevant..
    Also it looks like barring a surprise comeback or flashwagon I'm dead, oops

7. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Majube, wall please?

owner, response to Bill/Mal/Kai scum team? Would you substitute Majube in any world?

---------- Post automerged at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Now where have we heard this before? Oh, yes, owner's freakout claim D1.

So why the oops?

8. Miner

Miner Order Member

Zenzao Have your reads changed from your last wall?

What behaviour from Bill made you swap off him today? Why is mal a potential lynch for you?
    Majube You shouldn't give up. Hard lynch is at 9, and even soft lynch is 7, and you're at 5 right now. If you're town, you should be spamming out your reads if you really think you're going to die, they will be useful later on in the game.

Like, if you're really town, then I'm going to have to reconsider almost all of my reads, and analysis of what you said and your reads and your interactions with players will help.

9. Majube

High Score:
    I apparently sound really sketchy in my posts, and no I'm not going to role claim 24 hrs before. I've watched Owners crash and burn and I'm taking a different route in 1 hr before lynch if need be, I am so mad about read wall, I made one yesterday and I accidently deleted or something. Will reread an repost new wall.

10. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    miner11121
    I'm less certain of owner and Bill for scum as the Day proceeds. I'm more open to a mafia goon!Proph world right now, and my early D1 doubts about Majube are back.

I suggested Mal for reasons a few pages back. I prodded Mal over suspect behavior and he shrugged me off. I also noted potential interactions around Bill with a possibility of Kai/Majube.

---------- Post automerged at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Spitball for us then. Surely you left yourself some notes in your QT that you can draw upon if you can't pull even a rough set of leans off the top of your head.

11. mallorean_thug

mallorean_thug Muggle

High Score:
    When I asked that, I thought that the wagon on Proph had 4 people on it. As it turns out, it actually had 5. IIRC, it was something like

Proph (5): The Waco Kid, owner, Majube, Jarizok, KaiDASH.

That's 6 people (including proph) out of 12 players. Half the game. With 3 scum left, its pretty unlikely that scum had completely avoided that wagon. Like, even if proph is scum, there's probably somebody bussing right there. And if proph is town, its very certain there's at least 1 scum in there.

You know your own alignment, so unlike me, you have a smaller space to work in. Additionally, you can compare your reasons for voting proph (??? please repeat them now) with other people's reasons for voting proph, and decide who has towny reasoning, and who is either leading you into disaster or hopping along for the ride.

Comparing this to your existing theory (proph/Bill/Kai), can allow you to either strengthen your theory (in which case you should trumpet this new plank in your platform) or weaken your theory and cause you to look for alternatives.

I just said that didn't have to be the case. Do you want it to be the case? (hint hint, my informal survey says that you end up being the consolidation target)

And you are scumreading them back. Do you think you might be confusing wrong!town with malicious!scum?

Jarizok wasn't in your current scumteam theory. Would you like to revise it? Also, doing the "Why are you guys reading this guy like you're reading me?" is incredibly scummy and you should avoid doing it as either alignment. Pointing out specific hypocrisy in one poster's reads (like, he scumreads one person for a thing but not another person) is a real thing. Addressing that to the thread instead of a specific person is just whining. Also, 1 isn't a reason anybody is getting scumread, neither is 2, and you've been dramatically scummier than Jarizok so 3 is false.

Scum don't really push together if they can get away with it, because if they push separately, they're more likely to get town vs town wagons. If they push together, the OMGUS from their target might make one of them the counterwagon instead AND they tie themselves together. People can power!scum, but proph doesn't believe in power!scumming because he believes in votal analysis instead so . . .

Sure is nice generalizations. Are you paranoid about this world? Who are you paranoid about? Why aren't you actually thinking about it instead of trying to dismiss it?

When somebody gets replaced and you feel the opposite about the replacement, should you trust your town read or your scum read more? Like, do you think its more likely you were getting fooled by 'drome, or more likely that proph just has a dramatically different playstyle than you do?

---------- Post automerged at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

You doubtcast me for some things that your other scumspects said. Please ask for an explanation of any of my actions that you didn't understand.

12. Majube

High Score:
    Majube
    mallorean_thug, Zenzao, Citrus, his fluffiness,miner11121, KaiDASH, owner-Town
    Prophylaxis, Bill Door, Jarizok- Scummish
    Owner-We've got to wait on her checks remember
    Delphine-Has everyone checked over their reads? Lets learn from Neville
    Citrus
    AenaoZ-Feeling null on them a bit, they're town yeah but I wouldn't be surprised if near game end their final mafia
    Mallor-Bus driver (Really like to lead mob lynching)
    Waco-Very agressive 'priest' so full of scum but wary on making too many half scum reads
    Fluffi -Anti townish
    Kai -Anti town, scummish town
    Pro, Jarikov-Scum I'm not so sure about
    Bill Door Let's decipitate this guy already!
    Lynch Bill Door

---------- Post automerged at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

I'll do this now, I generally don't reread a lot but follow a long so it didn't seem a big deal but since I was gone I totally forgot have a bad memory

---------- Post automerged at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Oh forgot to write why Citrus isn't orange well from what they've posted so far I'm just taking a hint from those who knew his meta and say that since he's trying to be actively pro-town I'll think Citrus is town for maybe d3 as well

13. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    I feel like this is becoming a recurring joke but allow me to refer back to my #833. Specifically everything above 'pulling from my QT'. And then to your #840.

Those are the points I'm scum-leaning you for of my own merits without relying on anything by my other scum-leans.

Thank you for a wall. I'll analyze it properly later.

14. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    So I can see where this read/world is coming from. But since I know that it (mal/bill/owner world) doesn't exist; I kind of ignored it. As you are allowed to have your own opinion of things, maybe I should nag whole heartedly when I know you're wrong. But maybe I don't feel like always rubbing it in someone's face, especially when I feel like me and you are on the same side. Mal and Bill did OMGUS vote each other day one. So yeah, at one point I was considering them being a world. But Bill has a passion and strong opinion to kill me. And mal is on and off trying to help me out or save me from getting lynched.

Proph helping me out seems opportunistic in hindsight. Mal's already gunning for him. That could gain traction at any moment, hypothetically. What can Proph do? Oh, Proph can offer himself to die, but as he did so, shortly after he claim Harry Potter - VT. Now, does that sound like someone who's giving up or rolling over? Not really, then he joins the vote on Delphine and lots of people follow.

I, for 1, thought all the people who claimed priest/cop day 1 were joking/providing cover, though if you reread Bill's response to my claim. He sounds generally frustrated, as I could have well screw up our chances of winning. I said that we could still with me dying, as I feel that good reads are sometimes better than having a cop around. Plus, it's more exciting when town wins without having to follow the cop.

227. There's people on MU and Pog who don't care for my playstyle at all. Heck, even fonti doesn't care for my play sometimes, so Bill not liking my playstyle didn't really seem scummy to me. Though the game, I'm thinking about at the moment fonti was mafia that game. For WH7, Typhon mentioned that he didn't like my playstyle either. He replaced in as scum, but he also said that irregardless of his alignment that game, he felt he would still generally dislike my play as either alignment.
    260. I agree with Bill's words. Zenzao do you feel more inclined to trust your first thought or your second thought? (as in how you responded to bill's post)
    441. Not a gambit, would you be interested in reading a scum game of mine or not really? Me: I know what a frustrated townie looks like when I see one.

yup, lol

Another thing to think about is, he's pushing on what could be easiest lynches. Both of them are new players and don't necessarily know how to play. Miner is still kind of new player, but he's not as new as these too.

156. At the time yes I was reading him as town, but I feel like he's either fallen off or has been more relaxed this game than the WH7 game. In WH7, his posts had a natural sounding vibe. He did have some excuses last game, but they weren't as bad as "not having a strong opinion of anyone." (if I recall right)

Question, do you feel like it's more townie to push the same reads each day or do think it's more common to townies to reevaluate from time to time?

Agreed

What do you think of me voting later than most people today?

If it wasn't obviously, I disagree with connections you have put together in these worlds.

What do you think of Bill's town read of Delphine yesterday? (I think he had a town read of her.)

Where's your head now in terms of worlds?

Majube's vote to hard lynch Delphine was bad. I think we can both agree on that. But could you maybe see her not actually knowing what she just did?

15. mallorean_thug

mallorean_thug Muggle

High Score:
    Sorry Zen, were you expecting to get a townread from me right there? I didn't have any townreads that I felt I needed to remind people of right before N1. And clearly I could have simply not posted #785 instead of drawing attention to myself.

When you said you had points in #833, I thought you meant the lengthier accusations "quoted" from your QT, not an OMGUS hinged on my public fencesit at the end of Day1.

If you'd like to accuse me, please address other people and say "Mal hasn't been transparent with his reads because I think he doesn't have any" because asking me to address an empty question like that is a waste of time. Like, what response were you expecting? "Oh I actually was lying and townread X, Y, and Z, right there but said the opposite because of a *REDACTED* gambit?"

16. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    Um
    A. Town is trying to lynch all the scum. You being picking with which scum you want to lynch first is kind of odd.
    B. Why did you move your vote to Delphine then if you really wanted to lynch one of those two?
    C. If he's definitely in the POE, why are you so hesitant to push on him today?
    D. Are you afraid to push on anyone who is more experienced than you?

---------- Post automerged at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Oh yeah, I did.

I think I like this coming from you.

17. Majube

High Score:
    Ok newb question incoming, On the mafia wiki(which may be outdated) Says connections should be drawn after one mafia is uncovered. Yet everyone's reversing this and trying to draw connections, link people an then use that as evidence for lynch. Is this more helpful then the wait an see method? Asking people active now so Mallorean_Thug, Zenzao* spelled your name wrong in rainbow, owner, what do you think?

18. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    Majube's first reads list, she town reads both drome and miner. If I'm wrong about Jarizok in the proph, miner, Jarizok world, I would look into her to replace Jarizok there.

But it doesn't make sense why proph and miner would be pushing to bus her today, unless proph is a mafia pr, while she's like a mafia goon. Or Majube has like a vengeful role. But both scenarios seem unlikely.

19. mallorean_thug

mallorean_thug Muggle

High Score:
    Hi Majube, that can definitely be decent advice. Early in the game, its better to lynch the player that is independently the scummiest rather than the person that fits in your pet scum team.

However, I like doing three things: Making people talk about other players, using process of elimination, and giving myself anti-alignments.

I think that generally the most telling thing that scum players fail to emulate town on is how they talk to other players. It can be very hard to carry on a conversation with somebody that you're also talking to in scum chat. AND it can be very hard to carry on a conversation with somebody whose alignment you know without revealing that you know their alignment. So the more I can get people to talk about groups of people instead of their singular strongest scumread, the more interactions I get to sift through. And the more I have other people looking for interaction tells, the easier it is to sift through all of that. So I start the conversation about possible scum teams very early

Secondly, you can kind of think of the game of mafia as figuring out which of the huge number of possible scum teams the setup rolled this game. Getting a single scum dead is huge because you narrow the search space to only include groups with that person, but you can still totally narrow the search space before that. And it can be easier to feel confident about "This specific team is unlikely" than "Every single team including this person is wrong because they're town". Conflict is even better for this, because real conflict between players is often much deeper and more interesting that the shallow, tinny sound of scum fake fighting.

Finally, I like talking to the entire playerbase in depth and fighting with most of them because its one way to prove I'm town. You'll note that nobody is seriously putting you and me on a team, or me and owner on a team. (well, besides fluff, which is worrying). Because wowow, faking all this would be a chore. And if I get anti-alignments with everybody in the game besides 1 other person, I get to be town! And then the scumteam has to spend their nk on me. If everybody did this, wouldn't it be grand?

But experts disagree and some definitely don't like discussing scumteams at all until there's 1 scum dead. I just learned the other way from playing no-flip setups, and I think its a much better hedge against scum team perfect victories. You just have to be careful to not get suckered into the scum team's attempts at distancing and bussing, but forcing them to even try to distance and buss in the first place is really important.

---------- Post automerged at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Thread music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE7Qvi2V-8o

20. owner

owner First Year

High Score:
    I think it depends how you intend to play the game. Different things work for different people. Right now, you don't have a meta. As you begin to play and more, you develop a meta. You don't necessarily decide what this consists of; a lot of times, it ends up being whatever players are able find words for to explain how you are playing like you are playing. But lucky for you, you are at the beginning stages. This is a time for you to experiment how you want to play or what you want to your play to be know as. You can try to control or mold your play style; some people will go that route. Others will just play however they feel like and kind of come into a playstyle of their own kind of naturally. Sure, there are some who will say there's a certain optimal ways to play the game. But there isn't necessarily a set path for every single person to follow. Mainly follow the mod's rules, play to your wincon and have fun.

Sorry, that probably doesn't answer the question.