1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 5: Prisoner of Azkaban, Ch. 1-7

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by BTT, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Chapter 6: Talons and Tea Leaves

Given the rise in huge hipster glasses, Pandora and Trollbeads, and the ever popular thin scarf, I feel like this look would actually be considered pretty on trend these days.

Chapter 7: The Boggart in the Wardrobe

And thus a genre of fanfiction was born.

This might well just be Malfoy making an educated guess - although it's a very educated guess, given that Sirius' 'treachery' doesn't seem to be public knowledge - but it does make me wonder whether people like Lucius Malfoy knew that Peter was the spy, not Sirius.

Why does the Shrinking Solution de-age Trevor, not just make him smaller? Although it does explain where all those "Harry has a potions accident and [character X] has to look after baby Harry!" fics come from, I suppose.

Chapter 9: Flight of the Fat Lady

Hard to argue that Crookshanks was anything other than a dick to Ron, really. Also: I named my late cat Crookshanks, and this is exactly the sort of thing he would have done.

It wasn't just HBP she was tactless.

2. radm94

radm94 First Year

High Score:
    I do wonder what happened to Crookshanks, though. We get all sorts of Twitter confirmation from JKR, but we don't know if Crookshanks survived the war.

3. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

One thing that jumped out at me is that Lupin's trunk has "Professor R. J. Lupin" on it in peeling letters, suggesting that he has been a professor for a while. I've never seen any story with discussion of him either having prior teaching experience or a qualification to justify the title, there never really seems much suggestion of formal teaching training which leans me towards him having previously worked in schools. Any thoughts?

4. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Maybe he was a Muggle teacher? His mother was Muggle, so he had to be at least somewhat familiar with the Muggle world. He'd be working in the day time, so the fact he was a werewolf wouldn't be an issue. The only time he'd have to worry would be the day after the full moon, and even then he could have just had the day off, some of those days would be a full moon or during the summer anyway, and Muggles would never suspect he was a werewolf.

5. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey for the Fez Percy people, didn't he wear one in the movie? I imagine he got it from Egypt an following his fathers footsteps, thought it was muggle-wear or something for Penelope probably since Penelope/Percy

6. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    Marge is really horrible isn’t she? No matter how horrible they are, at least Vernon and Petunia did give Harry some personal space (although it’s really caused by fear as shinysavage had said) and generally ignored him instead of abusing him to their face. I also don’t remember them regularly physically abusing Harry unlike Marge. I agree with Dresden11, she should have got more hate from the fandom then what she did.
    She is definitely the worst kind of Muggle shown in the books. I don't think anybody can blame Harry for his reaction here, at that dinner Marge really treated him worse than garbage.
    I would like to know how Vernon and Petunia, who values their version of normality above everything else, would think of a single unmarried middle-aged sister.
    Agreed and like McGonagall has said, predicting the future accurately is excruciatingly difficult. This is another example of Ron not being as stupid as some people thinks he is, sigh.
    The Dursleys sent Harry a toothpick with a note asking him whether he can stay at Hogwarts for the summer holiday as well in CoS if I remember. Otherwise I agree, it seems like in the HP series people would send Christmas presents even when they detest each other although that really shows in the presents they gave to each other. It is said Marge once gave a packet of dog biscuits to Harry.
    There is a line in PS during the troll scene in Halloween that said Harry then did something that was both very brave and stupid. I don’t think this part of him changed at all over the heptlogy.
    Totally agree! Ron had his reasons in reacting the ways he did in these cases.
    Yes, and something else that puzzles me is that we don’t even know whether Lavender Brown survived after being mauled by Greyback during the Battle of Hogwarts (although I might have missed a pronouncement somewhere from JKR?).
    My guess is that Crookshanks stayed safe and sound in the Burrow over the course of DH but then I cannot know for sure.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016