1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Westworld

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I wouldn't rule out Anthony Hopkins yet and I don't think anything's confirmed about Jeff Wright yet, best to watch the last episode before we make too many conclusions.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

True.

A small theory about my least favourite part of the show, Maeve's uprising. While many suggest that it's all part of Ford's new and radical narrative, and I would be fine with that, a scene from a promo of the next episode where it appears she's leaving the park, suggests that my own guess my actually be more correct. Maeve was hacked not by Arnold, but by someone from the board to finally have the code in their hands. Only problem with that twist is the lack of a person in the cast who could be their hidden agent.

3. omnipotentatus

omnipotentatus Second Year

I agree that those two are maybe the biggest reason why the show is so good atm. I don't think they are going to kill off Ford, atleast not yet. And I don't think Jeffrey Wright is done with the show yet. The way I see it, the Ford vs Arnold conflict is central to the show's plot. I think Bernard's declaration to Ford, that he's going to finish what Arnold started and set the sentient hosts free, might be foreshadowing about Bernard's future (if he indeed is brought back). But this conflict between the hosts and Ford would be meaningless without Ford, therefore I think it's a safe bet that Hopkins will appear in future seasons, and that he will continue being the main villain.

4. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I think It's possible that Maeve brings him back. She seems a little all knowing at the moment.

5. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  6. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    Well, I definitely didn't expect that to come from Ford. The subtle suspense that was slowly built towards the end with his speech and the oncoming realization for the other main characters were great. Shame we have to wait to see how it all ended

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I saw that coming about half way through the episode. Still, it was quite well done. The symmetry and the mystery slowly revealing itself was excellent.

I have to say, I didn't see the parallels between Ford and Arnold's end until Delores and his chat at the end of the maze, though.

You know, if this show turns into a host vs human war, I'm totally rooting for the hosts.

I do wonder what will happen next season, though, it's completely up in the air at this point.

Overall, one of the best new TV series in ages. Good old HBO!

8. Anstid

Anstid Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Hopkin's Ford in this show was incredible. His dialogue was provocative and had such gravitas. Such a great performance from an accomplished actor, I loved every minute he was on screen.

9. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Excellent episode. MiB's surprised smile at the end was perfect. Hopefully he hangs around for most of next season, at least.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  10. Innomine

High Score:
    I think Ford and William (both incarnations) had to be my favourite characters in the show. William simply because his development was superb. Ford... I never bought him being a 'bad' guy, just that he was playing a game whose rules no one else realised.

When did you guys realise that Delores was Wyatt?

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

She is? I must have missed that revelation. Because I took it to mean that we hadn't seen it yet.

12. Innomine

High Score:
    Well, we learnt that Arnold infused Delores' personality with Wyatt, and with Teddy's backstory of doing horrible things with Wyatt, which turned about to be Delores killing everyone Teddy, including Arnold, I thought it was pretty obvious.

I don't think it was ever explicitly stated, apart from the infusion, but it's pretty implicit.

13. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Thank you for clearing that up now it makes more sense.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

These violent delights have violent ends, my friends.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Watched the final episode and pretty much any problem I had with this series was resolved.

Maeve's awaking was orchestrated by Ford who was making sure nobody competent discovered it.

Ford and Arnold weren't simply a bad cop and a good cop to the hosts.

I even started to enjoy what I expected was going to be my least favourite part, robots suddenly gaining a consciousness. It was nicely done. Especially that it wasn't something suddenly and inexplicitly achieved, but took years of cumulated information and experience. And the series asked some good question about nature of it.

The next season is going to be a little tricky because once the word gets out about the massacre, there is only one thing that should happen. The park should be closed and the host hunted down, maybe even by other hosts controlled by the company. Or they can just wait for their batteries to get discharged. Apparently the technical aspects of the hosts will be explained in the next season and how they're powered is pretty important question.

Two things I want from the next season.

More parks, even if they're going to add just one. Samurai World could be really cool and there wasn't any series lately that used this setting unlike Rome or Medieval times.

And I want someone extremely competent to deal with the robots' uprising. No more guards who can't shoot like in the last episode. I want humans, at least some of them, to be as Ford described them, the best killers in the world. The hosts will need to work hard to not end up as any other species that stood in our way.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Time for a thread bump.

Season 2 has begun and I just finished the premiere. I have to say that the show didn't capture me back in 2016, but then I got HBOGO and saw that S2 would be coming 22nd April, so I decided to watch S1. Didn't blow me away or anything, but I liked it. My muted reaction no doubt has to do with being spoiled for the big surprised of S1, like Bernard being a host and whatnot.

So, the new episode is good. Liked it. Am intrigued for S2 like I never was for the first one.

Some observations: so the park seems to be an island owned by Delos. There was a hint in the last season that Westworld wasn't the only "world", or at least others were in development--the samurai hosts--and there's another clue here. The cleanup crew sent by Delos discovers a tiger, not sure if a host or not, but certainly not what you'd typically expect in the wild west.

I thought hosts' internal structure was some kind of future super-fibre weaved onto a skeleton that had computer-like properties. I was actually a bit disappointed to see that a host's "brain" is literally just a high tech gadget stored in their skull. Also, they seem to be powered by some sort of white fluid. Wonder how that works.

Dolores is brutal as fuck. Dat ending. She gathered all her buddies and executed the lot of' em, including Teddy. What the actual fuck. Merging a rancher's daughter with psycho-Wyatt resulted in concentrated nastiness. I don't think she intends for them to stay dead though. Could this be a mass-scale infiltration tactic like the one Meave used? Git ded, git fixt, wake up?

Wondering if Ford is actually dead, or just his body, and he backed up his "data" so to speak, into the host network.

All sorts of interesting questions raised, and I really enjoyed Jonathan Nolan's previous foray into AI. Looking forward to the rest of S2.

17. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Not sure if that final scene was caused by who you think it was.
    Pretty sure Bernard said "I killed them all", and when I went back to watch it my close captioning confirmed that. Though some people heard "he" instead of I, so who the fuck knows.

Also I'm almost positive that the Tiger is a dead host from the Samurai World.

Either way, really enjoyed the premiere. Excited to see where things will go now that Delore's becoming conscious is out of the bag and we dont have to wait for a slow burn.

18. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could've sworn I heard "she killed them all". Now hype has deflated a bit.
    --- Post automerged ---
    The subreddit is already up their neck in clues. I think they want to solve the season before episode 2. They pointed out some things that suggest we may have another multi-timeline story.

19. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I really enjoyed season 1, so when I saw you guys talking about season 2 I went ahead and got me them episodes.

I loved the sales pitch to Delos junior. The flashbacks are pretty well done all together actually. The imagery this season seems to be a lot more in your face/less subtle than last season, but I don’t mind.

Hyped for the next episode as always.

20. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought the world was going to expand a bit with the allusions to the other parks, but we seem to be focusing on flashbacks at the moment. I'm not incredibly excited about those, but I'm still entertained enough by what's going on to enjoy it.