1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Caligula, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not really sure he's Vader at that point. More like Anakin in a suit.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    First of all, that is ... silly.

Presumably the events of ROTS happened as canon. Anakin died that day. In the sense that the events changed him.

I'm not buying it.

Edit: Slogged through the first few chapter, now 13 chapters in. It gets better. After the jarring OOCness of Vader at the start, there is no more lightness being made, and as things get explained they make more sense.

Sure, the author has a weird way of using a disjointed timeline, but that's not a big issue. I find myself actually drawn in the tale. The author knows to tug at the right places but not over-reach.

First few chapters seem to be the weakest point. So far, at least. Hopefully it won't disappoint again.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I absolutely loved this one. It was fun, well written, engaging from beginning to finish and I loved the exploration of Tatooine mythology. Also quite liked how it delved into Leia and Vader as people and how it will impact the plot in general and their relationships to other characters.

Yeah, admittedly a bit cheesy at times but I can roll with it.

4/5

4. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
  5. Nemrut

High Score:
    Vague memories, don't think I liked it much. Don't remember quite why though. Was it the story that was trying really hard to be edgy and gritty?

6. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Not sure what it tried to be, it only managed to suck.

7. Download

High Score:
  8. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

First sentence:
    "Mara Jade slowly...methodically released the docking clamps and piloted the Millenium Falcon away from Admiral Kre'fey's flagshit"

Flagshit. :facepalm

9. Download

High Score:
    Yeah, it needs someone to spell check it.

It's part of why it's here and not up for review.

10. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been on a Star Wars fan fiction kick lately and I just got done reading this and well...fuck, this is just about the best one I've ever read. Every single character feels exactly like they should and it's just gripping to read. Vader actually feels like Vader, a broken shell of what was once a man but still dangerous beyond words. He feels like the Vader from the Vader Down comics who had one of the most badass scenes I've ever seen. Surrounded by the entirety of the Rebel army by himself and his response? "All I see is fear and dead men."

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    My problem with Black Mirror was that Vader uttered way too many threats, in that he almost only communicated via "I'll kill you in horrible ways" and after a few times of saying that and NOT following up on that, well, it just makes him look lame.

His danger should not have come from making impotent threats but with a heavy silence, his presence, his breathing. He is not some two bit villain.

Also, dunno, maybe I need to watch the animated shows to really appreciate the characters but I didn't really have any fondness for the rebels, with the exception of Ahsoka who I always found fascinating, even though I didn't watch much with her in it.

12. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I don't like how Luke is treated like an eight year old, he just reads as super young. The Vader moments overshadow that though.

13. panda

panda Squib

High Score:
    Does anyone have any general recommendations for some of the best in the fandom? I finally got around to actually watching all the movies and am enamored with it. I'm quite good at finding quality Harry Potter fics, but I'm lost at finding Star Wars ones.

14. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter DA Member

Edit: wrong thread. Don't look at me!

15. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/4302076/1/Into-the-Storm

While I am bit torn about his current series this triology by blank101 is probably the best piece of completed fanfiction I have read so far.

16. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I'll go a step further; there didn't seem much to differentiate itself from your generic shitty hurt/comfort fic. Luke acted like he was 5, Vader spent the whole time just moping and throwing out pointless threats, and the Ghost characters were exceptionally bland. I saw absolutely nothing to recommend in this story.

17. Download

High Score:
  18. Idraca

Idraca Squib

https://archiveofourown.org/works/8543680/chapters/19586203

Of Queens, Knights, and Pawns by Chancecraz

Summary: I went to sleep on the worst day of my life and woke to find myself in the past on the second worst day of my life. As experiences go, I don’t recommend it.

Post Force Awakens Leia wakes up in the cell block of the first Death Star.

The characterization is flat amazing, and canon is thrown out the window immediately. I'm not sure how strong the plot is, but it's a WiP with a decently regular update rate.

19. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I guess the one thing that bothers me is the same thing in most time travel stories where the traveller hooks up with the same person they married in the future. I'm sort of hoping it blows up in everyone's faces.

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Came across a Star Wars SI set in SWTOR that's actually not terrible:

Path of Ruin

Basically, the SI is a guy who got dumped into the body of some random Force sensitive human ex-slave. There's no background (at least not yet) beyond that, the character's past simply doesn't matter.

Okay, now you might be wondering why I'm putting up this one here, when just recently I've talked in a brief review, about a different SW fanfic with a similar premise, how boring the whole SWTOR thing is. Well, the thing is, this author actually takes SWTOR and makes it different to what you see in the game through Sith Inquisitor or Sith Warrior storylines. The cartoonishly evil characters aren't present here. The Sith aren't nice people by any measure, but at least they seem to be behaving rationally for the most part. And though the SI does have some special attention paid to them from time to time, it's mostly well earned. Characterizations seem to be done well for the most part, moving along with the story itself, rather than staying stuck in same predetermined behaviors you see from the very get go.

The story? Well, it's not a clear outline to where this might be heading, other than the SI's eventual rise to power. It's the said rise that's actually quite engaging. It takes time. Trials or events aren't just copy-pasted from the MMO and done with. They get fleshed out quite a bit. More detail is given to the Sith - character and lore wise - along with the environment the SI finds himself in. The SI has allies and rivals, he might or might not have benefactors, and his own descent into the dark side isn't just presented as "torture people for giggles". The last goes for many other Sith showcased in the story - I really do like that.

I wish Sith alchemy and sorcery was more thoroughly explored - so far, it's been only shallowly dabbled in from the author's side - but it's alright for now and they seem to be improving as they go on, so I'll just hope that eventually they'll work out how they want to represent said rituals and actions without going into blatant info-dumps or all too short 'read it in a book', done and over, blips in the story.

Why am I not putting this up for review if I like it so much? Because the SI is still an acolyte. Despite 53 chapters of it, it's not tedious reading at all. At least I didn't feel the need to criticize the author for taking so much time with it. It's an engaging read, really. I went through all of it at once and now I'm stuck waiting for new chapters to come along. But it still needs a clearer outline where the author wants this to go in the long run. Some folks might like, some might not. I just figured someone might be in the mood for Old Republic stuff.