1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Is the Ministry at all accessible through Diagon Alley? Past that is there a rough street address for Diagon Alley or is it just left vague enough that anywhere along Charing Cross would work?

2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Through the floo system maybe. Isn't the ministry in the middle of London and Diagon Alley somewhere else?

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty sure Diagon Alley is located in London. Don't think there's any distances referenced at any point, though, so it's all up in the air on the details.

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, the Leaky Cauldron is on Charing Cross Road, but there are not specifics as to where. For the films at least, the entrance to the Ministry of Magic was at Scotland Yard. I've no idea how close these places are to each other.

5. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    Do you think employees of the Ministry have the Floo connected to their homes? It would minimize the travel time.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Arthur did, and the Weasleys having it would suggest that it isn't a costly option. Although perhaps Floo powder can come to be expensive over time, much like fuel.

7. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    That actually raises the question of how much does the powder cost?

---------- Post automerged at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

In canon, was there ever any mention that Healers could heal the mind of someone,or is that fanon?

8. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Floo powder is 2 Sickles per scoop:

As for mind healing, you're probably tripping on fanon. What we know is that Neville's parents and Gilderoy Lockhart have not recovered significantly after years of treatment. There is Dr. Ubbly's Oblivious Unction, but that was used to heal Ron's wounds from the brain things, but that seems more like a specific treatment for physically damaging thoughts than a general mind-cure.

9. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    Was it ever specifically stated, after he recovered from the Vanishing Cabinet incident, exactly what happened to Montague?

Or what year he was in?

10. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

In book 5 it's said that Montague was stuck in limbo whatever that means and that he could hear pieces of conversation from two different places. When he was finally found he was located in a toilet somewhere.
    Seeing as he was a problem for the Weasley twins I would think that he was in seventh year like them.

11. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    Was he ever really given much characterization?

12. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Not really, all we know is that he was on the quidditch team, a Slytherin, and on the inquisitorial squad, and the twins didn't like him.

13. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    Thank you, Peter.

14. zoe

zoe Squib

High Score:
    Yes, exactly. Fawkes specifically comes to Harry’s aid in the Chamber once Harry declares his loyalty to Dumbledore. I don’t think a pet could have accomplished that.

---------- Post automerged at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

I don’t know of any specific evidence. On the one hand, Harry can’t properly crucio Bellatrix in the 5th book, and he’s told that he “has to mean it” i.e. want to torture her (which I think would involve some strong feelings of hatred and anger). On the other hand when Harry imperios the goblins during DH, there is no mention of ability/difficulty/emotion. He just casts the spell. Maybe it’s implied that he has strong feelings about wanted to control the goblin because of the stress of the situation, or maybe the spell is that easy.

Also, Draco had major difficulty in his attempt to kill Dumbledore because he was so afraid and upset. If it was a matter of saying the words, maybe he could have done it. His emotional turmoil at the time doesn’t seem like the hatred/anger kind.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Do we know from the books how do wizards store food?

I mean, I doubt they use muggle fridges, right?

16. D.H.

D.H. Seventh Year DLP Supporter

They have probably been using charmed/enchanted iceboxes for centuries.

17. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    Say a Wizard was a bit of a health nut. What might the magical equivalent of a juicer be?

18. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Grimmauld Place has a pantry, there are several mentions of it containing food like turkey. I can't find mentions of fridges in any place other than the Dursley's. Pantries are built to be cool, but I imagine wizards use cooling charms or whatever.

19. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    The quintaped apparently originates from wizards transfigured into magical creatures. Is there any other evidence that supports this ability to essentially create new magical creatures? Also, is there anything to suggest a non magical being like a normal dog could have been transfigured instead of wizards and still keep the quintaped's magical quality?

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Skrewts are crossbreeds of salamanders and manticores, IIRC, and essentially a new species. Presumably that didn't take a great deal of magical knowledge or skill, either, given that it's Hagrid.