1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

2. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Resident Evil 7 was fucking awesome. Probably not as good as REmake, but definitely my favourite in the series after that.

It definitely has some glaring issues - the 'normal' difficulty felt very easy, it has the same problem of REmake where the final section of the game leaves the interesting locales for something much more dull - but I just had so much fun that they felt insignificant by the end. This is real, classic RE, wandering around a creepy house scrounging for keys and herbs. And maybe it's just been too long since I've played a proper horror game, but it scared the shit out of me several times and was consistently very creepy. The sound design contributes a lot to that, it's just fantastic.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, it was great. I forgave the second half because it had a suitably rewarding payoff in the end.

As for difficulty, if you're hankering for the OG RE feels, don't play on normal. Higher difficulties have limited manual saves (ink ribbons), no auto saving and less ammo/recovery.

The controls are a bit clunky, but you're not a STARS specops super soldier or secret service hero, so it makes sense (and adds sensible tension).

I hope they stick to this style and don't go more action-y like they did in the past after successes.

4. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looks really good. I'm hyped. The graphics are amazing, it looks like a direct upgrade without large stylistic changes, and I love that we're still the same Watcher from Pillars 1, with probably importing saves. We tangled with gods in White March 2, so the scale is appropriately more high-level. Eothas was the biggest mystery in Pillars 1, so it's a good idea for a sequel.

Speaking of levels, since we're the Watcher, is this gonna be level 12-20 adventure? Or 16-20 if you import a character that's completed the dlc, with adjusted difficulty like in White March?

The thing I hope they improve the most is spell balance. It's kind trash compared to DnD 3.x. I want to see those highest level spells that were only teased in Pillars 1 and I want them to be useful for every school.

I also want the prologue from Pillars 1 to matter. Picking Woedica, breaking my previous promise to a god... I'd like it to influence something.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Fallout 4 Free Updates – High Resolution Texture Pack & PS4 Pro Support

Take note, those are 58GB in addition to how much space your game already takes.

6. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Holy hell, not playing that for a bit I guess. That's some serious hardware.

7. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

I don't understand though, does 1440p really take that much power? I think it's just the increased draw distance. Are there not 4k mods for PC yet?

8. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

8192x8192 uncompressed bottlecap textures for all!

so they're really are learning from modders

bets on there being separate files for the diffuse/normal/etc instead of using channels?

9. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Did anyone else play with the 'For Honor' beta this weekend? I was pretty excited about it, but man, I can see it getting repetitive real fast, much like The Division did.

10. Hamburger

Hamburger Squib DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I scanned a few pages of forum threads, and couldn't find anything on Don't Starve Together. Does anyone play? I have a crazy hankering to play it lately, but it's been hard to find people to get a group together.

11. Tikigod784

Tikigod784 Second Year

Anyone gonna get Ghost Recon Wildlands? It doesn't look amazing, but it seems like it'll fill the void I've felt ever since games like Mercenaries stopped being quite as popular.

12. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

I played the closed beta and it was... not great. It's the sorta game I'd have fun with but regret buying.

Maybe when it's on sale for $20 bucks.

13. mort

mort Groundskeeper

Anybody played Nioh yet? I wasn't too keen on it since it looked like a Bloodborne/Dark Souls ripoff with a Japanese covering on it, but reviews have been pretty positive about it. After taking a closer look at it I have to admit, it does look a bit promising.

To buy or not to buy?

14. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

A well executed Souls ripoff would be perfect right now, since From seem to have forgotten how to make a decent one. Gonna wait for a while though, since Dark Souls 3 was really well received at first as well.

15. ???

??? Squib

High Score:
    Nioh is great*, it's not a dark Souls clone but more of a fusion between ninja garden, dark Souls, and Diablo. You can play it like Souls and git hid or you can grind gear with the loot system. The stance and ki mechanics add a lot of complexity to combat in a fun way.

*Based mostly on Betas, I've only played the first to levels of main game so far.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    The combat is much more aggressive (more than even Bloodborne), deep and varied than Soulsborne series, the environments and enemies less so.

There's a story, but it's ridiculous. Definitely not a plus.

I'm starting to hesitate saying games like this are a ripoff these days. From clearly invented a noticeable genre and Team Ninja are unapologetic in ackowledging that.

There's also plenty in the game that makes it stand apart, or even betters its inspiration.

It's great.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Really? I'm not enjoying what I've played or seen.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Not everything's for everyone I guess, but I legitimately don't get how you can like Bloodborne and not this, unless you take issue with the aesthetic? That's fine too.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It.. might be? Weirdly, yeah. I think that's it. the Japanese lore stuff isn't doing it for me compared to the gothic horror of bloodborne.

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Anyone here playing the early access version of Divinity: Original Sin 2?

I've been wondering on how that one's progressing.

Not open for further replies.