1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Hermione Annoying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Conquistador, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Hey guys. I have been rereading the series and have found that I don't appreciate Hermoine's character as much as I used to. I find that she is too one dimensional. (Her entire character is books.) And while she shouldn't be bullied for it, she is a know it all. There is no denying that Hermoine has her own way of bragging. Must answer every question just to show of. (Believe me I speak from experience. Back in school, one of my friends used to be like this until we talked to him about it.) And that she kisses up to the professors. Anyway, I am ranting now. But I would love to hear your thoughts.

2. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

3. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

4. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Pretty much this.

5. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not really.

6. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

They all can be annoying. Hermione got better as the books went on, but for some reason I couldn't stand her in the last book. But that could have been terrible Hermione fanfiction characterization bleeding into my reading.

7. ashland

ashland Second Year

High Score:
    Without a doubt. I've never been a fan of the character, but I found her tolerable until HBP, particularly the end of it when she goes out of her way to tell Harry she was "sort of right" about the Half Blood Prince.

Her leading the way and being wrong about almost everything in DH didn't make matters any better.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, Ron's thread got a sex change, how very progressive of us, DLP. And OP misspelled the title.

Are we now going to pick apart every character from the books? If someone reopens the can of worms on Snape... I will ignore it, I guess.

I agree with Atram Noctem.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

• Is Ron an asshole?
    • Is Hermione annoying?
    • Is Dumbledore manipulative?
    • Is Snape the most three-dimensional character?
    • Is Dolores Umbridge evil?
    • Is Voldemort right?
    • Is Lupin a coward?
    • Is Sirius an insane manchild?
    • Is Neville stupid?
    • Is Luna batshit insane?
    • Is Ginny a slut for dating so much?
    • Is Draco misunderstood?
    • Is McGonagall useless?
    • Are the Dursleys delicious?
    ...and more! Hopefully not coming soon to a DLP near you!

10. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    Yes.

/10char

11. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She is annoying, most teenagers are.
    I know i was extremely annoying as teenager as well.

It is hard to separate at one point canon from fanon.
    I do find her relationship with Harry having negative aspect on Harry growth.
    I have the impression he let her do all his thinking, when he starts to use other tools (HBP, the potion book)
    she fights him on that pretty hard, without applying little bit of sense she claims to have.

In addition Percy was also known for his book smart, taking all the OWLs NEWT he could, becoming Head boy and look how he ended.

Plus I have major dislike for the title smartest witch/wizard of their generation.
    wisdom and Intelligence aren't one dimensional which can be easily quantified.

She is smart I will give Hermione that.
    She even used it in the fifth book to create the coins, using really advance material.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  12. Ched

Hermione can be annoying in certain situations. So can Harry and Ron and everyone else in the universe.

With Hermione those situations where she is annoying are just a bit more prevalent in a schoolyard setting with her schoolyard friends. Hermione is 100% on board with doing what she is supposed to be doing, whether that is following the rules or studying to get good grades. It helps that she also happens to enjoy those things. She wants her best friends to do those things too, not because she wants to share the enjoyment with them but because that is what they are supposed to do and they aren't doing it.

I imagine getting into the real world it would be better. For example, if Ron's job was to work the counter at Fred and George's joke shop, and he went to work and did that, I expect she'd get a lot less annoying because in that situation he is doing what he is supposed to be doing. She has no more need to nag him into studying because that is no longer what he is supposed to be doing.

Or at least that's how I see her. Her crisis mode seems to come out when things are not going as they should be going. Elves are being enslaved and slavery is not supposed to be happening. Her professors are supposed to be trustworthy and they aren't. Etc.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I personally never liked Hermione, she's among my least-favorite characters from the books.

14. Ched

Why? I mean, come on - it's a thread asking why she is (or isn't) annoying... you don't like her... tell us why.

I can come up with reasons why people might not like her, and I could come up with my own complaints in books 6&7, but overall she doesn't get on my nerves as a character more than most.

15. Ryriena

Ryriena Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can be annoying and to me she is mild compared to someone with ADHD. She doesn't like breaking the rules and HBP basically butchers her character to a point.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    CheddarTrek, no no, you got the Snape thread wrong. His was called "Does Snape's love for Lily make up for all his bad deeds?"

17. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about overachievers to be honest.

Hermione is also so self-righteous, more than any other character in the books.

And her behavior in Half-Blood Prince was downright terrible, especially how she tells Harry "see, I was right about the potions book!"

18. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hermione annoyed me to no end during PoA and HBP, but I grew to appreciate her more after I could read the series in its entirety. Loyalty is the chiefest of virtues, and even Hermione's greatest failings in the books are tied to her loyalty. She went with Harry and Ron despite them breaking the rules and risking all their lives(or worse, expulsion!). She willingly places herself in danger for her friends on a regular basis.

When Ron's friendship faltered in the face of his own jealousy, Hermione stayed true. It was only in book six that she let herself break faith over something petty, and even then it was only part of her reasoning. When they searched for the horcruxes and Ron left, Hermione did not leave with him. She stayed with Harry, despite her own feelings for Ron, her own misgivings, her own fears. She is fiercely loyal, almost to a fault, and it is perhaps her best character trait.

There are plenty of intelligent characters out there, plenty of awkward ones, plenty of attractive ones. There are bossy characters and know-it-alls. There aren't many with her depth of fidelity though, and that resonates with me.

She was still annoying over the broom and book though.

19. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    in books 1-3, i did find her annoying. In 4-7 she was essential.

20. Blundo

Blundo Second Year

High Score:
    She's pretty annoying, yeah. I don't think she deserves bullying, but in Harry or Ron's shoes I'd never end up being friends with her. (Good thing they're not like me, considering how often they might have died without her)

One thing really stuck out to me though, that made me genuinely dislike Hermione:
    Hermione cheated to get her crush through sports tryouts, sabotaging another player when it was his only chance to be keeper (because Wood had the role before, then Quidditch was cancelled for the Tournament, then he was hospitalized through tryouts his second to last year).

That's a really fucked up thing to do, and nobody ever brings it up because later on the target turned out to be kind of an asshole (as if that makes it OK). If someone had done something similar to me in senior year of high school, fucking me out of going to nationals by drugging me or something at a key point, I'd have wanted to strangle them. It's also pretty damn insulting to Ron acting like he can't earn his place on his own merits without her cheating on his behalf.

As a side note I think McLaggen, while a bit of a dick, gets an unfair bad rap overall. At the party we only have Hermione's word that he wouldn't shut up, and he says the exact same thing about her. Given that we know for a fact Hermione has a habit of being a conversational steamroller, I'm more inclined to believe him than her. As for the backseat-captaining during Quidditch, yeah that's being an obnoxious dumbass, but given that the actual captain was either too incompetent to notice obvious cheating or willfully ignoring it to favor his friend, it's somewhat understandable that he'd have 0 faith in Harry's ability as a captain (which has very little to do with the ability to catch a shiny golden ball). It's quite possible he wouldn't have behaved the same way if Harry had actually been a good team captain.