1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite pairing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jenko, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Ryriena

Ryriena Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For those stories I would suggest Isolation, or Aurlien by Bitt blue eyes

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

My favorite pairing is Harry/Any warm body.

The fact that Harry being a teenage boy and not taking advantage of his fame to get laid makes him less relatable to me.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

OP of this thread is making me reconsider the fact that Harry/Fleur IS my favorite pairing. Maybe I need to get on the Harry/KatieBell bandwagon.

4. Ryriena

High Score:
    Same I was going with the Hinny bandwagon just to spite the opening poster.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  5. PlainBlack0

PlainBlack0 Squib

High Score:
    It's up to the author to make the romance worth anything and the fic that did the most for me was Thirty-Five Owls with Dumbledore and Grindelwald.

A well done Draco/Hermione fic would be an absolute treat in my eyes but I've yet to see it.

6. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Huh, Isolation at least was not that bad as these things go, didn't finish it since it's long as fuck and the author gets pretty over descriptive. Still, I imagine that it's probably one of the more competent attempts of basically all the themes I was looking for (not that that is a high bar to clear). Cheers, Ryriena, probably sated my curiosity for that particular troupe.

7. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I've always enjoyed Harry/Tonks. Too bad the amount of well written stories containing this pairing is dismal. Basically Harry/anyone interesting at this point.

8. Ryriena

High Score:
    No problem, I had to wade through a lot just to get to the gems, I have found.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  9. TheBurningBagel

TheBurningBagel Second Year

High Score:
    Maybe slightly controversial, but Ron/Hermoine.

It's the only romantic pairing in the books that felt real, I don't know if that's because the characters work well and are fun to read together, or just because it's pretty much the only pairing that was given time to breathe in the books.

As for non-canon, I have a strange affection for Harry and Luna.

Edit: Also, obvious troll thread.

10. etincelle047

etincelle047 Squib

High Score:
    I don't like any of the canon pairings, but that's JKR and romance (and ron/hermione would crash as soon as Harry wasn't there to play switzerland, or right out of hogwart, when their vastly differing ambitions/life goals would clash).

In fanfics, I'm game for nearly any pairing as long as the story and the characters are solid. I have a fondness for rare character paired with Harry or hermione as it is a sign that the author isn't afraid to take risks and go into unknown territory. Exemple of this are: Hermione/Flint, Hermione/Nott, Harry/Millicent,...

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Out of curiosity - I see a lot of people (not just in this thread, but around) stating confidently that Ron/Hermione would never work in real life, would crash and burn, wouldn't last into adulthood, etc.

How many of you that think that have been in a successful long-term relationship that you expected to lead to marriage? By long-term let's go with 5+ years.

I haven't been in a relationship that long term, but I've got a hell of a lot of friends in their 30s who have. And some of them are as different as Ron and Hermione and just as happy for it. My parents have almost been married 50 years and are like night and day when it comes to things like schoolwork. Now sure, they have things like religion and a desire for children in common.

But how do Ron and Hermione's "life goals" and whatnot differ in such a way you think they couldn't be together? Hell I'd almost say the opposite. Hermione is a go-getter who wants to change the world. She's a moralistic work-a-holic. Ron starts off as an Auror but quits soon after because he probably just wants to enjoy life and take it easy working with his brother. That seems pretty compatible to me. You know what wouldn't seem compatible? TWO work-a-holics, who have similar levels of ambition and drive, because then they'd never have time for each other.

I'm not a huge fan of the ship but I've never understood the dislike of it except from the people who wanted Harry/Hermione instead.

But again, disclaimer. I'm not exactly married myself. I just don't get the hate.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  12. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

CheddarTrek, I agree.

I was a lot like Hermione- studious, a goody two shoes, quite anxious and very career focused. My boyfriend (of almost four years now) is more like Ron. He is hilarious, was never that good in school (preferred working with his hands), likes to enjoy life, not very driven.

It works. He keeps me from becoming incredibly anxious as well making sure I actually enjoy myself and have fun. He doesn't care that I am not 'perfect' and tries to get me to see my good sides and not just my imperfections. I help him become more motivated and I help him improve on certain technical skills.

I couldn't imagine being with someone like Hermione, as our personalities would completely clash. I try to be the best, so having someone very similar would make our relationship a competition and that sounds horrifying. Plus, we would never see each other, have fun and would probably be rich, workaholics that hate life.

This is why my favorite pairings are Ron/Hermione as well as Harry/Ginny. I do think Ginny should have been used more in books 3-5, but I never saw her as being a horrible person.

I actually don't like Fleur and Harry together at all. I dislike the fact that people like her because she is beautiful and foreign. If Fleur was not a veela and not 'drop dead gorgeous' I doubt she would be nearly as popular.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Squib

High Score:
    My favorite pairing is no pairing. I'd rather not have romance in the majority of fan fiction I've read.

14. Paladin

Paladin Defender of the Faith

High Score:
    Sirius/Fleur.

15. Dkapflzk

Dkapflzk Squib

High Score:
    Harry/Hermione because I think Harry is better than Ron

16. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's just weird with the age difference and all.

17. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

May–December Romance's aren't exactly a new thing.

18. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not saying it doesn't happen, but most of those relationships in real life happen with a rich man/woman marrying a very good-looking younger compatriot. I can't see Fleur as described in the books to be with Sirius.

19. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're right, the roguish, motorcycle riding older man from a distinguished family and a criminal record would never appeal to a young, attractive woman seeking validation from someone who she views as more of a peer than someone her own age.

Wait a minute.

20. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The bigger issue for me with that pairing is that the two characters never even met in canon, so it feels a bit random.