1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I binge-watched the first season of The Good Place, a fantasy comedy from one of the creators of Parks and Recreation. I found it lovely, honestly, but then, Kristen Bell's in it so I'm biased (she's the best). It stars Ted Danson as well, and I liked him a lot more here than in Bored To Death, where I thought he was a bit weak.

I also watched Santa Clarita Diet, a... zombie comedy, I guess? It has its moments and can be really funny, but it was a hit-or-miss thing for me.

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I really enjoyed Santa Clarita Diet. I've recently checked out Dramaworld, in which a huge Kdrama fangirl is dropped into a Kdrama. It's cheesy and hilarious even for someone who knows very little of Kdrama and doesn't like them a whole lot.

3. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Seconding The Good Place. I just finished it Sunday, and it's fantastic all the way through. The basic premise is that they're in kinda-sorta heaven (the titular "Good Place,") but Kristen Bell's character is only there due to a clerical error and was actually hilariously terrible when she was alive. She has to fake being a good person so as to not get sent to the Bad Place. The entire thing works -- much stronger than season one of Parks and Rec.

I love that US TV shows are starting to pick up the tighter 10-14 episode seasons.

4. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Loved The Good Place. If only for that ending, but the rest of it is pretty good as well.

5. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

So I thought I would voice my opinion about some of the TV shows I have recently seen.

You Me Her
    I am not sure how many of you have seen the first season but it has been one of my favourite series last year and the second season has started this week and seems set to continue the good work. For those of you who don't know it is about a three-way relationship/affair between a married couple and a call-girl and in my eyes is really refreshingly different to what we usually see on TV.

Training Day
    While I have some issues with some of the underlying message of the series (that cops breaking the law is okay/necessary) this seems to be a great action series with a solid cast and, a so far at least, interesting story.

Riverdale
    I have never read the Archie comics so I can't really judge how closely it follows its source (though from what I gather not very closely) but I have to admit that I quite like the series even if it's likely more of a guilty pleasure than anything else. The best comparison I can come up with is perhaps Gossip Girl which was also a guilty pleasure for me.

Blindspot
    I didn't like the first season very much but gave it another try after some solid early episodes in season two. however its recent episodes seem to suggest it goes back to its season 1 format which might isn't really to my liking.

The Blacklist
    In wasn't the biggest fan of the second half of season 3 or the early half of season 4 but its recent episodes have convinced me that the show is still worth watching (at least if you like heavily procedural shows)

6. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I started watching The Young Pope on HBO and just recently finished online after I realized that it already aired on Sky. It has some bad reviews, but I rather enjoyed it. It starts with a completely unlikable Pope, played by Jude Law, but by the end he's a rather sympathetic character. I think it was picked up for a second season, so we'll see where it goes from there.e

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The Young Pope is one of these series I really liked, but I'm unsure how others will react to which stops me from recommending it. It's divisive in its themes and its style can be really odd, but surprisingly fitting.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I got through the first three eps then had to stop. The jarring catholic imagery just made me kind of umcomfortable.

9. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Riverdale is possibly the worst show I've seen and I can't stop watching it. Betsy and Veronica drug and torture a dude for slut shaming!

10. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Bettys mother reminds me of an ex girlfriends mother.

Billions S2 has started and its brilliant.

11. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I've recently started watching This Is Us. I'm through 11 episodes out of the 15 available on demand, and if I had to describe it in a word, I would say it's touching. If you're looking for a new drama to watch, I would definitely recommend it.

12. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Legion is fun, slightly creepy, and enjoyable.

The first episode was kinda off-putting, as we were kind of thrown into the world and given a crazy protagonist as a reference point, but it's making more sense as time goes on.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  13. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seconding Legion. I wasn't familiar with the source material for this character in the X-Men corner of the Marvel-verse, but the show has been mysterious, intriguing and so far has gotten better from episode to episode. Dan Stevens is excellent.

Another show I really liked recently is HBO's The Young Pope. That was a strange and quirky program. Great cast all around.

14. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I can't really form an opinion about Legion yet.

From a cinematic and acting perspective it's above the usual TV production easily but the disjointed trippy story telling style isn't easy to stomach. Neither is it clear where this goes. It might just be just another Alphas(Episode 2 felt quite familiar) only with better production and different style.

15. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

It's basically Pretty Little Liars season one, just with more literary references. No seriously, hear me out.

- Lots of sex with teachers
    - Most of the adults are useless/complete arseholes
    - Mystery dead person
    - Everyone's hot. Everyone.
    - People committing random felonies for what appears to be shits and giggles and you know that they'll never feel any consequences for what they've done
    - Blatantly unrealistic portrayal of teen life.

Needless to say, you should watch it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Posting here for now because I don't know that it's worth its own thread just yet.

So The Good Fight has begun airing, finally. It's a spin-off of The Good Wife and the first episode was slick. I expect to like this a lot. If you liked The Good Wife, give this a shot.

17. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

New Blacklist Redemption is pretty much a DLP members dream with the oedipus stuff

18. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I watched the first season of The Colony and damn that show deserves some kind of an award. They have somehow managed to cram a whole 24 episodes worth of filler into a 10 ep season.

19. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

New Taken TV series yesterday.

First episode wasnt bad. Not sure on the timeline seems like a prequel but rebooted into the present.

Bad guy basically said "I hope you never have a daughter so you never have to make this tough decision" o_O

20. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "- Everyone's hot. Everyone." - this is the only part which is not a realistic representation of teen life.