1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mountainous Mafia #1

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I mean I get you've moved on from this point. That doesn't make the post any less bad.

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    /sigh/

Starting with Quid, opening post in the thread.
    Aside from a couple of minor posts in #35 and #37, he drops off after this until his #173. I think his response to Vaimes here is alright for dinging Vaimes over his #80, I do not however like the bottom of that post, specifically,
    I mean, to post something like that when you're scum is just bold as hell. Even if you might be confident in your ability to mask it and blend in, are you really going to go so far as to put it out there D1 while building a case that eventually evolves naturally enough? I don't really think so.

Well when you look at this gamestate...

Bleh, up to #436, this is more mind numbing than it should be. Aside from the earlier quotes above I'm getting more of an overall town feel than scum from his interactions now that I know owner is town, though he does seem to take quite a while between posts considering he said he'd be active.

Also, attempting to go any further just got stalled by the site.
    ffs.

Going through this page by page would reduce the process to skimming over everything and I just don't have the patience to stay up and do that now.

---------- Post automerged at 03:46 ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 ----------

Despite my reasoning for it explained later, okay then.

---------- Post automerged at 03:48 ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 ----------

And yeah, I'm out. It's been a long day and I figured I would get right on this after Flash/Legends, only... I fucked around and kept putting it off because I knew how much of a drag it would turn into, and sure it enough it did when I finally got started only to get wrapped up in responding and then the site search crapped out.

3. Quiddity

High Score:
    lol

That was always very aspirational, and very much not a promise of effort. There's a reason I nearly pulled out in signup.

I'd also talk about how I'm generally very open in talking about my meta, especially my scum meta...but that seems to have a way of triggering people.

Zenzao, the Vbulletin thing happens because it only saves searches for a while. Retrying the search (or keeping the results page open) should work.

Or there's something else going on. This site is bad for that.

---------- Post automerged at 03:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 AM ----------

I'm turning in shortly, but I intend to take an hour or two tomorrow morning to finish my reread and post a lot.

My thinking is currently Rubicon/tom/dLGN/Zenzao at roughly 40/35/20/5

4. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think you're town.
    ^ On the record.

Leading into the point I make a couple posts later, about how if any of the "towniest" players are scum they benefit from keeping other common townreads alive. Wanted to poke Zenzao for a reaction first.

5. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    I'm just sayin'.

Quid, this is the first game between us that I am aware of. So I don't know what your past meta is other than reading what you've posted about it in here D1.

Did not know that, thanks. It did it to me a few times while looking up Eido in past Days so I figured it was just the site going awol again. Skimming through more of your posts up to the late 900s, stuff like #886 leading into #974 don't strike me as w/w.

---------- Post automerged at 04:11 ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 ----------

And of tom, dLGN, and myself?

Haven't you heard the phrase, "Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus"?

6. Quiddity

High Score:
    Last thing.

Don't like Rubicon's exchange with Miner re:Vaimes from 262 to 267. Works well with partners, inquiring and then using it to setup a pivot.

Previous interactions look good, but I don't like his passivity. Trying to decide if that's just Rubicon's playstyle or actually scummy.

7. Rubicon

At the moment, I think we win 99% of the time lynching dLGN and Tom.

If possible, I'd like to pick the right one today, so I'm going to meta dive dLGN tomorrow and see what I notice.

I looked at your (Quiddity) meta today and you're very, very different from Stardew. There are some surface similarities to TH7.

But you were really scummy in both those games, and I don't get that vibe here.

I like your approach to solving the game right now by looking at who is narrowing PoE - mainly because this is the same approach I've been using yesterday and today. I think dLGN is the guy who isn't narrowing his suspect pool - and he made a go at moving Zenzao into his suspects too. That bothers me.

On the other hand, I disagree with you about Tom putting a lot of effort into this. Like, #1564 is not a post from someone who's putting in a lot of effort.

8. Quiddity

High Score:
    Oh goody.

This means I might get NK'd tonight. Pleasepleaseplease.

---------- Post automerged at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

Never tickle a sleeping dragon.

/looked it up.

9. Rubicon

I prefer "nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak."

10. Quiddity

High Score:
    I wasn't criticizing you there. Mostly poking at Miner.

11. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Please, if anyone is going to be the NK it'll be me so I can finally join obs and find out who the hell Vaimes partner turns out to be(in actuality, its Eido, the perfect suspect) while safely avoiding F3 and the inherent weight that follows.

But seriously. Time for sleep. And just when Rubicon decided to post.

---------- Post automerged at 04:21 ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 ----------

[​IMG]

12. Quiddity

High Score:
    Saying you're not going to put in much effort =/= not putting in effort.

By the by Zenzao
    Do you have any fics in WBA? I like your writing style. I think I started your quest, but Pokemon fanfic can be difficult for me to get into because I'm not very familiar with the world/creatures.

---------- Post automerged at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

Pretty sure obs is unspoiled this game :p

And yeah. I need to sleep as well.

---------- Post automerged at 04:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

[​IMG]

13. Rubicon

My main focus as a town player on D1 is to force interactions with every other player and try to draw out people's reads on each other (and especially on people I suspect, like Vaimes) for later analysis.

---------- Post automerged at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

So, what is putting in effort? Give me recent examples from Tom.

14. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    True enough.

I do actually, though not much that I've updated lately. I'll link some of the better stuff, Reflecting on the Past, Harry Potter and the World Against, Cursebreaking Hamunaptra, and of course the delightful Harpy's Milk, Take One in all its gloriously brief M rating. I've got more in the regular and Dresden and misc WBA's too if you might be interested, and I'm rather pleased you like my writing style, thank you.

I fear that to be the case, alas.

15. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Day Ends in <timer is in day start post>.

(I think it's in a little under 10 hours)

16. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Alright feeling a little better about DLGN. Rereading after replace in it feels more like just not talking about Vaimes, rather than avoiding it.
    I don't feel amazing about it, but that impression and [everything else] makes me ready to

Vote Rubicon

I'll be ~around if anyone wants to talk

17. dLGN

dLGN Muggle

High Score:
    My reads are very, very similar to yours. When I said this earlier:

the 'roughly' part is that I don't know what to do with Rubcion. I'll get to that after tom.

I feel the same about tom in that he's in a really bad spot if he's mafia. I feel like I can dunk on him today pretty easily if I was confident he is the mafia because his flip and push on me was pretty sloppy. That's not a winning play if he's mafia. I could also just kinda get lynched and flip town if the rest of you aren't sure about me, and would give a legacy that Quiddity is town and I'm not quite sure how he wins f3, either. It's a tough spot to be in, and I think he always loses if he's mafia.

That said, I don't think he or anybody else would like... actually concede in this spot, so I'm not sure what I expect him to do otherwise. It's just awkward. And when he opened up this day really briefly saying a couple things before just plopping a vote down on me and saying he was pretty much done with the game... that kinda seemed mafia just going through the motions, a bit.

Combined with the fact that I've seen him be significantly more towny in game(s) (MK etc.) as well as just qualitatively different as town (SVM), I don't really have any reason to call him town.

~~~

Rubicon, on the other hand, I've scumread since subbing in and just kinda hoped he would die in the night post-von. I don't think him dying over lyric/fonti/miner was to be expected, so I don't hold that against him. I think those night kills are pretty neutral no matter who is mafia. But I don't see active solving going on the past 2 days and when I look at his progression on von it's like... he apparently had a read that von was mafia, from somewhere, and he was asking everybody for thoughts on von but not really actively probing or pushing von and von didn't really ever push on him.

And I've just been thinking that if you don't think your partner is going be towny to the point where you can win f5 through a mislynch for parity, that's pretty much how you should treat them. You're not aligned, but you're not hard bussing him to the point where you are a necessary night kill. You get some credit and play the long game as town kinda goes after question marks.

I think his recent post about it just being between tom and myself, and apparently more likely myself is just.... forced.

Zen has not been posting well. Zen has, in fact, been posting scummy. I think it's both reasonable and necessary to pressure Zen to get a better read on them at this point because if we're losing to someone just voting wagons and qq'ing about outdated meta and being wrong early in the game that's shitty. Me having some suspicion there is not scummy and the fact that I pretty much closed that door shortly after opening it doesn't really jive with Rubicon's accusation that I'm opening up the lynch pool. It's just a town doing due diligence on someone who everybody is letting skate by on frustration and failed reread attempts and.. meh.

---------- Post automerged at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Like Quiddity you can look at the part of Zen's post that you quoted and said you didn't like and then look at my earlier post and realize that I too didn't like it and spelled out exactly why. And it wasn't to just call Zen mafia to get a mislynch, it was to try and get Zen to actually try and read players that they're giving a complete pass to until a potential f3. That's just ridiculously bad and scummy and we both know it.

Zen hasn't played in a while and it's quite possible all the frustration and dejection is real, though, so to just pounce hard on them would not be productive if they're just town, so I tried to just fairly point out why I take issue with that post/approach and ask that they try to make an effort to think about everybody in the game today.

Considering, from your perspective, you're town and pretty much have the same interpretation of that post and concerns about Zen, does it really read as a scummy play by me as Rubicon sees it? Almost certainly not.

I kinda think I've been the most towny today by far, even, but whatever.

---------- Post automerged at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Rubicon do you think there are posts that you've made about von or interactions you had with him that are clearing?

And I'm assuming since you're saying it's between me and tom, you're ~100% sure Zen is town and don't share even some slight concerns like Quiddity and myself? If so, could you explain your Zen townread?

18. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    ^ I approve of this post. Keep it going, dLGN.

FWIW, I'm satisfied that Quid is town right now. I'm also feeling good about you for your activity and your reasoning toDay. Which PoE puts Vaimes' partner in one of tom and Rubicon. IRL today is likely to be another disruption via family drama so I may not have the time to do an ISO or otherwise on tom before DayEnd.

19. Rubicon

yes dlgn, Zenzao is town.

I completely believe his frustration with this game. He puts an impressive amount of effort into game-solving on D1, D2 and the start of D3. People mostly shrug off his cases. I just tell him to pull his head out of his ass. Two of the cases he felt most strongly about end up being wrong and that throws him for a loop.

He drives hard, with suicidal conviction to not lynch Vaimes on D2 - but it's based on reasonable suspicions on why me and fonti and others are trying to lynch someone who's not around to defend themselves. This is how Zenzao thinks.

He lost a lot of enthusiasm because of the way things went down and because nobody engages his cases. He doesn't trust himself to game-solve because of what happened.

Oh, and there was the Lyric thing. He pretty obviously wrote his case on me overnight with no knowledge that Lyric was dying, and was thrown when he saw what happened. (partly, I assume, because why does Lyric ever die at that point if I'm scum?)

-

He's also been tonally town all game:

#383: "Sooner or later you're going to have to accept the shock and give me a serious look, tom."

#421: "I trust that you'd hang me out to dry if I misrepresented the facts."

#434: "I'll gladly take your suspicions, Rubicon. Go ahead and try to catch me in a lie to this point. My most egregious err that could be inferred as a scum tactic is lurking out the first ~40ish hours and not contributing much to the hunting. I pushed out a few things here and there. If you've got some problems with me, bring them to the table and lay it out there for us all to see and I'll address them directly."

-

The night kills also point away from Zenzao in my view - none of these people suspect him, none of these kills benefit him as far as I can tell. They make it much harder for him to win.

Scum who are considered very town need to keep another townish player alive to endgame. They should also feel more confident leaving other townread players alive for WIFOM, like Miner, as long as those players aren't looking at them.

20. Quiddity

High Score:
    Landlord has an inspection on Saturday. I have a Stag Party this weekend.

This is why the reread is not real.

---------- Post automerged at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

I also have lectures all around the flip.

---------- Post automerged at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Vote: tom

Give me more, darling.

---------- Post automerged at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

I don't know how we got to me being pocketed by everyone and their dog, but I don't like it. Too much pressure.