1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Coyote, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

It's possible he was the only one left alive with any sort of claim to the title, perhaps everyone else with a claim was killed/died?

2. Cal

Cal Squib

Probably, but then again he did somehow become the "Usurper". But how he managed to do that without any army and then change his leige king from England to Ireland I haven`t got a clue...

3. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Was the guy already a Duke in your kingdom? Cause if he is and he inherited the duchy of Wessex, since he was already a duke his new duchy would become part of your kingdom.

(If he was unlanded or a Count and he suddenly inherited the duchy of Wessex he should have either gone independent or become a vassal of England if it was formed.)

TL;DR: If a Count/landless inherits a duchy, he becomes independent/loyal to the liege of the Duchy. But if a Duke inherits a duchy, he remains with the country/ruler he had.

4. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Er, no.

There are more factors in play.
    For example crown Laws in your realm and their realm. (The situation implies free inheritance in england and possibly restricted in yours, but not necessarily)

The general rule is that when a vassal or a relative living in your realm gets a title that is of lower tier then yours, AND that title doesn't belong to a realm with restricted vassal inherritance, you get to remain their liege.

Also, since the guy is "an usurper" that means there was a war to put him in power and not just simple inheritance. If that war was initiated by one of your wassals or the guy himself, and the above rule was met, you should get to keep his lands.

Also, if the war was against the king of England, that would result either in an independent Wessex, or like it did here - in Wessex under your king, but England would lose the duchy to outside attack either way.

There might be more shinanigans at play, but in the end, your clues should be in the title's history, messages of inheritance and truces on the king of england or one of your vassals.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  5. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

This happened to me with a Rus game I was playing, when I was informed that I was now the grand duke of Novgrod. Apparently the previous duke's vassals hated him so much they did a war to put me on the throne instead. Likely something similar happened here, the vassals revolted in england to put your guy on the throne, and since he was your vassal, he got to take the whole duchy with him (as Nauro explains above)

6. Cal

Cal Squib

Ok, thanks guys! I was just really surprised when he went from a landless son-in-law in my court to a vassal duke. Live and learn i suppose.

7. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Curious if anyone's gotten the new expansion yet, and if so how is it.

Looking at the reviews it's pretty interesting.

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, going off the reviews it suffers from the classic Paradox problem of having some really fun and creative ideas, but in need of a couple patches to actually make everything work the way it should.

Granted, some people would probably consider Satanism being incredibly OP to be a feature, not a bug.

9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ugh, I didn't even know this was happening. Fine then, looks like I'm about to lose another week or two of my life to this game.

10. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Sorry? Enjoy being a satanic immortal overlord?

11. Seratin

High Score:
    Is is centered solely around the Christian faith or can I have my Irish Norse demon horde?

12. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I have no idea, still haven't gotten it due to needing the spend money on other things.

13. Seratin

High Score:
    Bit the bullet today and bought it, along with HOI4. Only got to play an hour or so and haven't been in a stable enough position to dive into the orders or cults but so far it seems good. Nice new bits of flavour and events like rumours of Satanists in the east.

14. sairafius

sairafius Squib

High Score:
    Yes. I'm enjoying it very much especially being able to have a false religion to hide your true religion makes being Jewish easier.

15. Seratin

High Score:
    Currently on my second run after getting Monks and Mystics and I'm loving it. As a DLC goes, it's getting a lot of hate but I don't understand why. It's great.

The Satanists seem so OP early game and it's not a con, it really is. I think they've made it this way because the Devs knew that people would go straight for that society. The ability to essentially kill anyone in your court Willy billy with tainted touch is great and stealing life force to extend your lifespan is awesome too. The flavour is fucking fantastic including events where you raid an abbey, kill a priest and wear his face as a mask.

After a while though I realised it's not OP, if you don't manage it right there are downsides.

What is OP though is the Hermetic Society. It's ridiculous.

Start a game, go Hermetic. Rank up, write a Magnum Opus. Rinse and repeat. The Magnum Opus sits in your treasury allowing the next ruler to gain its effects if they're in the Hermetic Society.

This means stacking effects like +2 Learning, +1 Diploma, +2 1 intrigue and variants. You can have six of these badboys in your treasury but the kicker is, the higher your leaning is when writing one, the better the effects. So grab all six of the them through six rulers, then on the seventh repeat one and because of your higher learning it replaces your ancestor's inferior version and provides even bigger gains.

This DLC is so much fun, definitely buy it. Right now.

16. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

My problem with the DLC is there is no way to punish someone who is in a society, especially Lucifers' Own.

In my play through, my uncle tried to convert me to Satanism by revealing his tattoo, to which I declined and 'ran' away. Not only did I know that he was a satanist, he was also 'highly suspicious' with everyone else.

As his ruler, I was unable to do jack shit. There was not a single option for me to reveal him, arrest him, take his titles away or burn him for being a witch. The pope wouldn't even excommunicate him. It was quite ridiculous. Luckily, he died before gaining much power.

I feel like there needs to have more potential negative effects. If you were caught as a satanist in these times, your whole family would be shamed as well as potentially thrown out/burned at the stake. This power should come with huge liabilities. It would also make it great fun, if your rule was tainted by another member of your family and you had to redeem your name to the faith.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Since I only ever played the basic game when did it go from an ordinary medieval setting to actual magic and stuff?

18. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think the last DLC (Reapers Due) and this one (Monks and Mystics) that made this game more... magical.

There was always some rare plots that were more supernatural based (like werewolves) but it was always presented in a way that it may have just been a myth or something you saw and didn't understand and therefore 'magic'.

Reaper's Due introduced the rare quest for immortality while Monks and Mystics introduced crazy amounts of powers. I am not much a fan, to be honest, but then again, I tend to play with the Historical Immersion Project and make it even more diverse and realistic.

19. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, the next patch is supposed to massively increase the risk in being a satanist,

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Once I became a known satanist I was fully expecting an inquisition to show up or similar. When it didn't I just started going full tilt.