1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Deftex, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Admittedly I am a bit worried about it being a console port to PC. I hope the controls are not shit on PC...

Anyway, I am currently avoiding all ME:A material because I can't wait for the 23rd (damn regional distribution).

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I keep seeing all of these triumphant posts and trailers about "FIGHT FOR A NEW HOME" in the new Mass Effect.

The romanticization of violent invasion and colonization by Bioware, the definitive SJW video game company is fucking hilarious.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The Origin Access Trial is now available... 10 hours is not enough.. but I'll take it.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This RockPaperShotgun article stands out from the crowd. There have been plenty of positive previews, this one is not so full of praise.

From the tone I gathered that it was the opinion of someone who approached the game with a skeptical mindset, as I would, and I found it interesting. Perhaps there isn't much point to it when we'll be getting consumer reviews of the full game within the next two weeks, but I can't help but be drawn to this piece.

Even though I don't play as much as I used to, I'm a gamer and it would be shit of me to hope that a sequel in a favorite franchise of mine turns out to be shit just so I can score.schadenfreude points. Combat at least looks fun in gameplay videos and I can only hope that BW trademarks: writing and characters are just as good or better.

I still think that preordering games is a retarded practice and I remain hugely skeptical of BW as a whole after the BSN shutdown. I will be very interested to see how they handle tech support and consumer interaction now that their best channel of communication had been purged.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Out of curiosity, why do you think this?

6. Jon

I mean.

Generally I pre-order because:

1. I know I want to play the game.
    2. It allows me to get the game earlier on the day, most pre-orders come with pre-loads, which is fairly key, I think to -why- I preorder, if I do.

I understand the thought pattern of waiting for reviews to find out if it's a -good- game, but I don't prescribe to it. If I want to play a game I'm going to play the game. I generally don't let other people tell me what my opinion on games should be.

With that said, obviously if a significant amount of reviewers say that something is wrong, I'll pay attention, but with that said.

Mass Effect is not for everyone, and even the individual games within the franchise causes discourse among fans.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Yep. I don't pre-order often anymore, but there still is the occasional time. It's usually cases like this - I know I'm going to buy the game regardless if it has great reviews, meh reviews, or is the consensus worst game ever created.

Am I part of a problem of some sort? I guess? I'll persevere though.

8. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I think for me, I just can't trust reviewers.

Inevitably, with every game I play, I'm a low-maintenance player. If the game doesn't crash on me and I can have fun playing it, I'm pretty okay with everything. Even if the RPS article is spot on, I'd still buy the game to play it. The ME trilogy is one of my favorite series ever. I'd play this even if it was a fanmade ME3 edit.

I've watched Peebee's 17min mission and skimmed Liam's loyalty mission and watched a little of the first few hours. I see all these people complaining but to me it looks amazing. I guess the difference is that I am a casual gamer. With responsibilities, a wife, a job, a house, all this lame adult shit, I'm no longer giving nearly as many fucks as I did in college and highschool, where I had a job and had things on my plate, but none of it was nearly so important. I had a lot more time to game and a lot more time to bitch and moan about games.

I feel that most game reviewers spend too much time gaming and review too critically and that their experience won't be the same as mine.

As for the RPS review--it feels like this reviewer is being particularly hard on the game to get the clickbait-y views because he's shitting on an otherwise pretty well-received game.

---------- Post automerged at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

And I'm 1:30 into my trial, still customizing my character.

Shit's agonizing.

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hope y'all enjoy it. Been watching the preview footage and the fucking animations and dialogue... Holy smokes.

It's just not up to par for me. Witcher was already leagues ahead in that regard around Inquisition time and the change in engine seems to have made everything worse? (actually, Inq might have been Frostbite too, not sure).

I felt very similarly with Fallout 4.

I don't care too much about how the game feels in rpgs (I still think the Witcher combat was clunky af), but watching that weird, unnatural, awkward animations - and from what I've seen - cringey dialogue, it'd do my head in.

I hope they really work on that by the time the next Dragon Age game comes out. I don't think I'll be hopping on the ME train.

10. Jon

omg I know right.

i dont like how mine came out but I forced myself to click 'go'.

I can always redo the first 10 hours after all..

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    surely there's a debug code thing that lets you redo your appearance? I remember doing that In DA2

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    It offers no bonus to me personally. I can live without an extra gun, skin, whatever the preorder gift is for a given game. As for preloading/getting the game earlier, a difference of hours isn't an issue either. On a larger scale, preordering tells the publisher that with good enough marketing they can sell the game regardless of launch price, day one DLC and shitty practices like locking out on-disc content (From Ashes for ME3). In general, I just dislike the culture surrounding preorders that puts implicit trust in big publishers who continue to dictate terms in the games industry despite everybody knowing that they're cunts.

13. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Huh. I preorder so I don't miss out on a copy come launch day. Can't remember the last game I preordered for extra content.

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    I don't mind waiting. I don't get the mindset of getting the game on launch day. The only game I bought on launch was CoD4.

15. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What's more amusing, to me, is that as far as I can see the ME fandom on Tumblr seems to be giving Bioware a pass on this aspect of the game (or at least, taking a wait and see approach pending the actual release). They are crucifying them for the (apparent/possible?) lack of LGBT romances, and there's been a bit of debate about the appropriateness of white gamers roleplaying POC characters today, but this fairly obvious reading seems to be more or less ignored*.

*In fairness to Bioware, there's been at least one promo video that's suggested that colonialisation will be discussed in game, and that they're aware of the implications, but still.

16. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

Still pre ordering games encourages various shitty practices of publishers like rushed buggy half arsed releases,premium content incentives and so on...
    Not to mention you are basically handing out an interest-free loan to them

17. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Yeah, but how much luck have you had walking into a game shop for a new Pokemon game three days after release and trying to buy a copy?

I did work in a game shop though, so this might just be me salty about customers getting angry with me personally when the game they want is out of stock.

18. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

To be honest, in the digital age, it really doesn't matter. Just download the game on the day.

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    This. Unless you really want the $200 Super Deluxe Edition with the electric dildo shaped like the BFG from the game and a concept art book, the "out of stock" argument has little weight.

20. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Completely aside from my opinion on pre-ordering things, not everyone has the internet to just download things. Physical copies of games still exist for a reason.

For instance, I've moved to a much larger place than where I grew up and pay out the ass for thoroughly mediocre internet that allows me to get games when I want them, so now, for where I am, I completely agree that having a game on demand is not a reason to preorder. But I also remember exceedingly well the time in my life where I could literally have a new game shipped to me faster than I could download it, to say nothing of how much faster it was to go to a store and pick it up.

I suspect the out-of-stock argument carries plenty of weight still for some people.