1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Get Out actually works because it knows exactly when to play with horror or to use comedy. It manages to avoid all the crappy horror tropes while getting across a strong message about racial objectification without being preachy.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's only estimated amount, but apparently GitS didn't even cross 20m. It's doubtful it will even gets past 50m in the US now.

Additionally, Power Rangers had about 64% decline which is rather bad. Its worldwide box office is rather weak too (only 32m), but there are some big markets it haven't opened yet. If it gets a sequel, I expect even a smaller budged than 100m it had though. Not the best news since the next one could have more big robots fights.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw GitS. Liked it a lot.

Kinda hope our cities look like that in 20 years, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Same. The movie is gorgeous. I think the supporting cast didn't fully realize the personalities they played (Batou, Aramaki, Togusa especially) but it wasn't enough to take me out of it. Scarlet Johansson did a fantastic job in a role where she basically had nothing to win... she does a good job, no one will care, she does a bad job, anime nerds everywhere will hate her.

Really though - art direction amazing. Sound direction okay. Important acting roles, well done. Script, good. Definitely recommend if you liked the original, or just like robot/AI-type scifi.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    Holy shit. I watched Fast and Furious 1-7, one a week every week in prep for F8. Those movies are fucking incredible.

First time I've seen 7 since the movies. By the end I remember why that's the case, sobbing like a little kid again.

He wasn't the finest actor in the world, but he grew into that role. I hope the movies still hold up without him. Can't wait.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Xiph0
    Hugplx

Do I see Ghost in the Shell in 3D or not? I wanna go see it today.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    It's visually beautiful, but did I think 3D added much? Probably not. Hard to say having only seen it in 3d though.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Totally. Solid film.

9. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

No. Boring superhero origin story. The gorgeous visual design doesn't change the fact that's the plot is superficial and paper thin. Just rewatch anime for better everything.

10. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Dude did you even know what the movie was about before going?

Andrela I saw it on the standard screen and was disappointed that I didn't see it in Imax. Go see it in Imax.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Laughed my ass off. In what way is Motoko a superhero?

12. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

It's not Motoko being a superhero, but GitS being a 'superhero origin' type of a movie. For me it was boring, the action was lackluster and chaotic (i.e. you couldn't see anyting well), the characters were paper thin and cliche, the main antagonist was a cookie-cut corporate overlord.

I will admit that the visuals were very good and I liked how they explained Majors name and her being played by Johansson, but beyond that it didn't have the same impact as original GitS.

IMO it's just not worth watching in a cinema.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Ended up watching it in 2D due to scheduling conflicts, heh.

I liked it, it's more or less faithful to the original. The acting was good and all, but what really stood out to me was the special effects and designs, top notch.

5/5 will probably watch it again someday.

14. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I really enjoyed Ghost in the Shell. The setting was absolutely gorgeous and felt almost real: futuristic, but in a way I could sort of see happening. Almost a Blade Runner vibe from the city. And the special effects were fantastic. I'm actually shocked this isn't getting more credit for being such a pretty movie. Some of the scenes are just beautiful (the underwater jellyfish scene, the fight in shallow water when she's invisible, and the cityscape basically any time it shows up all stand out).

Scarlett Johansson did really well, I thought. I noticed that she was intentionally moving in a way that was sort of unnatural, mechanical, through the movie. It seemed to help me contextualize her as something different and new, and made her stand out.

Cutter was a pretty terrible antagonist. He seemed just entirely one-dimensional and the actor had almost no charisma. He's probably the low point of the movie for me.

I'm sad that this movie isn't doing better at the box office, I'd love to see more movies made in this universe.

15. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Really? From the reviews I read, it was made to sound like GitS kind of shit on the original. It's rated pretty lowly across the board I think.

Edit:
    On one hand hey very cool trailer and everything but on the other hand Destiny trailer pulled off that song much better.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thor trailer looks baller. Maybe this will be the Thor movie I'll like? Or maybe Thor just works better in ensembles. He's awesome in Avengers movies, but his solos were among the weakest Marvel offerings imo.

Edit: I can't be the only one who got a kind of GOTG vibe from this, no?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I'm conflicted about this.

On one hand, the trailer suggests they made Thor into a much more comic character than he should be. On the other, I really like pretty much everything else about it.

19. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Finally Thor got a haircut, and Loki seems shinier, and I hope this will be the best Thor movie in the series

20. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Your Name is possibly the best animated film ever made. Incredible animation, characters, and writing. It starts as a cute body-swap farce but develops into a rich coming-of-age story about human connection. I really don't have enough superlatives. It's supposed to have a pretty short theatrical run, so see it if you have the chance.