1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I don't think there's an author I hate more than him.

In fact, this whole Hermione worship in certain parts of the fandom is extremely annoying.

And I bet this is all because of Emma Watson. Goddamn how I wish these movies were never created.

2. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't know - Alan Rickman didn't help, but you know there were always diehard Snape fangirls. I assume the same is true for Harmonians.

A bit of an anti-peeve: I always laugh when definitely becomes defiantly. Always adds sauce.

Proper peeve: the word 'magical' used as an adjective to distinguish between a magical and a mundane version of the same thing. Rowling had to do it when she was introducing the world, but really it should be used sparingly, because wizard's shouldn't say it: to them the thing isn't the magical thing, it's just the thing.

Example: Yes, it's called Wizard's Chess, but Ron has never played anything else, so there's no real need for him to distinguish it, except to tell the reader in book 1 what is going on. So in the common room, Ron should say things like, "Fancy a game of chess, Harry?" not "Harry, up for a game of Wizard's Chess?"

Magical portraits. Wizards talking to one another about the magical sport of quidditch which they play on magic brooms. Azkaban being headlined in the magical newspaper as the magical prison.

This is especially true among the British, who have a long and storied history of not adding distinguishing adjectives when they were the first to do something (or feel like they should have been). The Times. The Meteorological Office. The Queen. The Palace. The Exchequer. The Civil Service. The Empire. The Colonies. The Universities (both of them). And on and on and on.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  3. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That makes me sick

4. Pedro

Pedro Looked into the void

High Score:
    Ice Queens ffs she is just a teenage girl.

5. Sey

High Score:
    I think the scarier part is that there are thousands of people who want to read this. If someone wants to write trash that's fine, but if there are thousands of people who want to read said trash then there is definitely (defiantly :p) a problem.

The most shocking thing I have found about fanfiction in general is the respective ages of the authors who write a lot of this garbage. Most of them are adults and yet they still believe in the idea that these children, who are in all accounts average, can outsmart and outfight adults. Moreover, every parenting figure, or adult for that matter besides the occasional Snape centric story are evil and controlling.

How do people like reading this trash? And how are authors proud of what they write?

6. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

'Literature' isn't as popular, as palatable, as melodrama and showboating. This is why Shawshank Redemption earns one twelfth as much as Independence Day.

7. Sey

High Score:
    But does it pain you to watch Independence day? Yes, it is no masterpiece by any means, but it is still a professionally made movie that looks its part.

8. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Putting it more directly, if you want to be well-paid as a writer, you should write romance novels.

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A peeve that is entirely my own fault:

- see new fic tagged HP/DG
    - open fic
    - close fic in disgust within ten minutes
    - forget fic
    - fic gets updated at some future date
    - see fic, note by link color and vague recollection of title that I've already opened it, sorta remember it sucked bigly but cannot recall specifics of that particular fic
    - click link thinking maybe I was just in a picky mood that day
    - hate self

10. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Ooooh yeah I've done that. Worse I did it three times to the same fic and it wasn't until the end of the first (5,000 word) chapter that I remembered why each time.

11. Sey

High Score:
    I wish we could filter out fics that we know are awful or, for the matter, authors.

12. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

I find it baffling that FFN still doesn't have any tracking of what stories you've read.

13. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

There used to be an "ignore" extension a few years ago where you could ignore fics, fics by certain authors, by character listings, and or by pairings. I think I remember FFN updating their site to block that particular extension.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I thought this had lost popularity and it's freaking annoying.

You know I was almost in Slytherin Harry told Daphne the self proclaimed Ice Queen. Draco was such a dick that I chose to get sorted into Gryffindor.

OMG cried Daphne I can't believe it. Let me teach you some pureblood customs and give you a new hairstyle.

Literally if you come across an of those sentences in a fic something along those lines will be written.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  15. GirlUniverse

GirlUniverse Disappeared

High Score:
    Any mention of a Veela Allure of bond. Randomly calling Daphne an Ice Queen out of the blue. Shitty nicknames like Dumbles used with a complete straightfaced and serious manner. Egregious wandless magic for no reason. Hadrian. Ridiculous lordships.

16. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I know it's been mentioned before but dammit, just smashed my face into it repeatedly.

Harry Potter. Not Harold. Not Henry. Not Hardwin. FFFFF

17. Sey

High Score:
    But his name is Hadrian Potter why cantz u relize dat.

18. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

This is where you need a fic where Lily and James specifically name their son Hadrian and everyone insists on calling him Harry.

19. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Is it weird if I want to read a Fic that calls Harry "Henry", if only because that's the actual 'formal' version of Harry?

20. Sey

High Score:
    Yes, it's the formal version of Harry, but it's not his name. If his actual name was Henry and he just went by Harry then it would make more sense to want that. It's like if someone's name is simply Jon. Sure, the "Jon" comes from Jonathon, but if his parents named him Jon it does not matter that etymology is from Jonathon it's simply not his name and therefore wrong.