1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Accidental Horcrux by the Imaginizer - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Peter North, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Just finished the pre-hogwarts part and I am just not interested. Nothing that really wants to make me read forward. "Talking Tom" never seen that one before.

Would be a 0 if I could.

1/5

2. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Your reviews are quality stuff for sure. Not once have I seen you mention anything specific you didn't like, it's always just "nah, not interested", "cliché" or equally empty place-holders.

Granted, I believe that you read the story. But these are still useless posts. Because your reviews don't add anything to the thread, they aren't even real feedback, they're just your opinion, put into one or two sentences. In this case: "Not interested, because not interested, because there's something I haven't seen before." WTF even...

You can give a story a 1/5, sure. You can give it without any real reasons. But at least spare me the frustration of reading your shitposts. Or try to explain yourself a bit.

Example:
    "I don't like this story at all, because the start is utterly uninteresting. This talking Tom does nothing but irritate me - it just rubs me the wrong way that Voldemort's in Harry's head and I don't see how they could ever form a relationship like they did in this story. Even if Harry's a child and even if he's his friend, he'd surely know that the guy who killed his parents and so many others can't be a good guy. So, the whole premise is contrived.
    Apart from that, there's no intrigue, no plot. Tom talks, that's all, but there need to be some things actually happening that are more than just "Harry is treated evilly by muggles and talks to Tom". And a story which has a start that dragged out is a story I won't continue.
    1/5"

Not perfect, but it does actually add something to the thread. I don't say I always manage that, but I try.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. syed

syed Supermod

Since the hollow summons shades of the dead, it makes me wonder if those three objects are the result of soul magic. This then made me consider could soul magic be used to make all the stories be kind of true.

The story that mentions the witch change into a rabbit is clearly an animagus. Since the change is so personal, I wonder if soul magic could allow the process to be easier or more wide spread. I am imagine some kind of ritual that creates sort of a spirit journey. It might be dangerous and painful as it would enforcing a full body transformation. It would be a form of rebirth in a sense.

The hairy heart story makes me wonder if it is a reference to horcrux. I don't see a way to replicate the story, but I am imagining creating a crystal chest. Place a soul container in the chest and it drains the soul piece away, creating a kind of heart akin to the homonculus baby Pete made. Being able to clean vessels is important, and we know that containers can be drain as we saw it with the diary. Also, I bet these pseudo hearts could be very useful in soul magics. They guess tom is making a new body, so why not use this against him and make him a heart for the body. All the tom pieces kind of think the same, but scar tom at least feels different. If he can use that by using the heart to be the dominate part of tom, he could over come the main tom soul piece.

The fountain story makes me think the location is protected by a variation of the Fidelias charm, a secret hidden in a soul. Instead of a simple location, it ensure the places can only be accessed at a specific time. The need for tear, swear and memories, sounds like ritual components. While it is claimed those people found happiness with out magic, I wonder if instead they were exposed to luck magic which fulfilled them. Sort of like the curse on the defence professor forces them from the school in a year, this one help make them happy. Also, the fountain it self might contain luck potion. It was just happenstance that four random people were the solution to their own woes.

The hoping pot is the trickiest story to apply magic to. An animated cauldron, could potentially aid in potion brewing. Taking on their symptoms might aid in developing cures. The potter were descended from potion era, I wonder if they once had a hopping pot.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. HowU

HowU Squib

High Score:
    I've personally disliked the part where Tom implied he regained part of his sanity through his interactions with Harry. In my mind, a psychotic serial killer like him would only be getting more unstable by being stuck in an adolescent mind whom reminds him of his horrible childhood and is known to be his "killer".

3/5 because has engaging writing

5. Love00dark

Love00dark Disappeared

High Score:
    Hello

A big fanfic no doubt, we will wait patiently no matter how much, until the next chapter (of course the motivation falls every couple of months) and we are sure that it will be magnificent as the previous ones already published.
    A greeting to the author of the fanfic and the one who put it in this forum.
    bye
    Patiently awaited the continuation of this excellent story
    : Nyan:: Nyan:: Nyan:

Build a wall. - Xiph0

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  6. DarthRevan72

DarthRevan72 Squib

High Score:
    I stumbled upon this fic a couple of times, but closed out of it because I had a serious case of deja vu and thought that I'd read it before. I gave it a second chance when I was bored out of my mind the other night and I discovered that I was wrong. I hadn't read it before and I'm glad I finally gave it a chance. Years 1 and 2 are somewhat cliche, but bearable and I've certainly seen much worse. Year 3 and the first few chapters of the sequel really gave me hope for the story in terms of the freshness of the plot. The characterizations were always relatively on point, with only a few of the character's actions making me ask "Why did he/she do that?". Most of those instances happened when the author wanted to railroad the plot back to canon in the first two years.

Those are the only real criticisms I have about the story, so I'll move on to my favorite aspect of the story: the dialogue. I never got tired of character interactions in this story because the dialogue was simply exemplary imo. That last conversation with Dumbledore was pure gold.

Overall the story was a solid 4/5 for me and even though I haven't been reading fanfiction for a very long time, I would have to say that this story is in my personal top ten list for now.

7. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

The author's attempt at mixing magic with science was one of the most cringe-worthy attempts I've ever had the misfortune to witness - and that particular area of fanfiction certainly has its fair share of cringe-worthy scenes.
    If you've got no idea about the science, if you didn't introduce any magical concept close to what happens now and, most importantly, if it's simply unnecessary as fuck, then don't write stuff like that.
    Thankfully, he's taken that pile of crap out of the story. I just hope that, when it returns, he'll have an actual concept about how magic works that's a bit more refined than "it's energy!".

Apart from that, I'm finding it harder and harder to sympathize with the protagonist as the story goes on.

8. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

What do you mean by this? I haven't been keeping up, instead I'm waiting for a bunch of chapters to build up so I can better follow it later. Did he post it then edit it out with an A/N?

9. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Yup. Scene did basically go like this:
    Harry: "Accio oxygen!"
    Everything: *explodes for some reason*
    Hermione: "But what were you thinking, it was clear what would happen!"
    Harry: "Huh."
    Hermione: "Magic's synonymous with energy and ALWAYS creates heat because of that and comprimated oxygen is explosive!"
    Me: "Calling bullshit on that."

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  10. Toujourss Pur

Toujourss Pur First Year

High Score:
    I've finally caught up on reading this one and I'd call myself lucky for not having to read that scene. That said, I should probably add that the muggle references have also become somewhat annoying -- there are just too many of them, and most don't seem to add anything at all to the story. Luckily, back at Hogwarts they'll be less common, I hope.

The story is still interesting, though, so they're just a minor bother for me.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

It's still a well written story. However I'm in agreement with Dicra it's getting harder to sympathize with Harry at this point. I'm holding out on the hope that somehow Harry eventually turns on Tom or that Tom actually turns over a new leaf.

I am actually kind of annoyed all around with this author's concept of magical theory I wish he'd stick to the story and drop the magical theory.

12. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Harry's reaction to being entered into the Tournament was an absolute pleasure to read, very well done. But I hope that the author doesn't focus too much on that canon plot (or actually changes it drastically, because I don't like canon rehashes that much).

I don't know what to make of that girl, Adina. Seems a bit too convenient at this point, but we'll see about that.

13. syed

syed Supermod

Am I the only one seeing a possible relationship between hermione and the girl building an orphanage? I kinda want to see Harry attempt to be the threatening older brother reaction. I can see Harry attempt to support that orphanage project, so something similar could be set up here.

I can see Harry use his champion pull to get some unofficial games to make up for the loss of the house cup. Kum and Cedric would be easy to convince.

If Harry talks to owls, will hermione start talking to cats? I wonder if it is possible to make magical languages similar to parseltongue but for other species. It might be how parseltongue was created in the first place, an animagus created an ability he could pass to his descendants. That would be a huge magical achievement, a process to allow an animagus to create a magical language derived from their form. It would not only encourage animagus, but allow wizards to create their own bloodline gifts.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Actually at this point I'd like to see Harry get his ass handed to him in a fight. It's gotten to the point where he is pretty full of himself.

Also I don't see how he is going to completely agree with this orphanage idea after some of the things he's said in the past. The girls want to help all orphans and Harry really only cares about magical kids.

15. Guest000

Guest000 Squib

High Score:
    Ah, Harry Potter and the Accidental Horcrux, one fic I do enjoy. 4/5.

The stories pre-hogwarts chapters are quite interesting, delving into ideas I wish I saw more of. The characterization was intersting, especially with how Voldemort and Harry's relationship grew, and how Harry is now biased against Muggles. Though, I do wish to point out how much I don't like fics that have Harry develop that bias, but I still read this because of everything else. Harry's character is also quite mature in this, though this is to be expected with Voldemort as your imaginary friend.

As others have said before, there are a few times where I question why a character did something as it seemed out of character, but also ignored as I can sympathize with authors who can't think of how to progress the plot when following what the character can do.

One thing I thing I do very much like is the idea of Harry creating his own Order, and idea I will admit to be adding to my fic, if done in a different way.

16. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

This new chapter was ... strange, I guess? First of all, I feel like the author puts a bit too much emphasis on philosophical discussions at the moment so that the plot is a bit slower than usual, but as I personally like to read them in this case, I don't think it's that bad. Also, he just nails Dumbledore. Death being the next great adventure hasn't ever been as elegantly explained.

Apart from that, I hope Harry's current condition doesn't continue for too long, because
    powerless, self-damaging main characters are simply a nuisance to read about. I also somehow feel like the author, who obviously has some issues in RL, tries to cope with these issues by inserting some of them into his fic.

Avery continues to be interesting, but I'm not quite sure if he'll really have a role to play in terms of plot.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wow. I can't remember the last time I read an entire fic in one sitting before - if it hadn't been quarter to three in the morning by the time I finished I might have gone straight onto the sequel. I absolutely loved this story. The relationship between Harry and Tom was fascinating, with just enough ambiguities that I'm still not 100% sure whether Tom isn't slowly - very slowly - changing for the better under Harry's influence, although he's still very much a monster, of course. I also found the relationships between Hermione, Theo and eventually Draco to be surprisingly believable, especially by the standards of most fanfic.

Most of all though, I'd echo what CheddarTrek said earlier in the thread, although I think I'm more positive about it - I'm a huge fan of the way The Imaginizer has managed to weave a story around Voldemort and a Harry who is either woefully misguided, blinkered, brainwashed or just outright not as nice a person as he thinks, and still make it so compelling. I don't want either of them to succeed, but I really want to read about what happens.

It isn't perfect, of course. There's a lot of canon rehash, and some of the angst can get a bit OTT. I have mixed feelings about the thread concerning Harry's vision in the Mirror of Erised - on the one hand it's been handled fairly sensitively so far, and promises some welcome original(ish) developments in the sequel, but on the other hand, it touches on things that I really don't care to read about.

All in all though, an easy 5/5 for me.

18. syed

syed Supermod

With the animagus process, I wonder if Harry and Malfoy could alter one of the mind potions to make it easier to achieve. If there is a potion to weaken mind shields, could they be altered to encourage the animagus form or connection?
    I wonder if Harry transformed due to him being forced to change, the fight flight process is overwhelmed to give a third option, transforming. It always seemed a shame there were not more shapeshifting. Fear or danger to force the change, so exposure to a boggart or something similar.

19. kasper

kasper Squib

High Score:
    This is a very good story that i have been following around for a while . I disagree with some people who criticize the authors who try to mix magic with science , i understand not everyone likes that but for me it is interesting in what is the author's take on magical theory

Although, the thing i disliked was we have already completed one book and there is still no solid explanation for Harry's morality. As far as we know he's not a bad person but he still sympathizes with Tom even still? I guess you could say its complicated but i feel the author doesn't do a good job to address this ambiguity. It's just there...

20. lunitan

lunitan Squib

High Score:
    This story is very much the authors internal struggles and problems bled onto paper, as you can tell in the frequent depressing authors notes. Normally this ends in disaster but the author seems to have enough self awareness to craft the themes of his internal struggles into more than an angtsy romp.

The story almost reminds me of my favorite anime ever, evangelion, it lacks as much thematic depth and meaning, and the masterful subtlety, but that's to be expected. Instead it has magic and some tastefully done politics. The relationship between Tom and Harry is fairly realistic if a bit over the top during the early chapters. It's early chapters are easily it's main weakness, but once you get past that you get a great story, not quite a masterpiece of fanfiction, but fairly close. 4/5.