1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Tellie571

Tellie571 First Year

I may be mistaken (as I didn't visit DLP on the first of april this year or last year) but I remember the good days when the admins scared the bejeezes out of us when we logged in only to find that our beloved DLP had turned to Equestria MLP, and the year before it was...twilight themed I think.

So yeah, that standard 'fuck you' scare of first of april would be funny to bring back, not sure how you guys can top MLP though...perhaps Drarry or Snarry/Severitus themed...I know my day would be ruined, and any potential boner would swiftly retreat.

2. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Also, anyone in favor of using Discord as the new IRC? I'm sure that most of us use it already for other things. Having a DLP server could possibly bring more people to join in on discussions.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We did that this year as well. Took away all identifying markings and let the shitposts commence. It was fun.

On topic, I'd like to see a revamping of the alerts system. The Paradox forums and (I hate myself for saying it) Spacebattles have a pretty good way of alerting you to updates in threads you've been recently browsing/posted in/quoted in. As it is now I barely use alerts because they're multiple clicks away and relatively unobtrusive.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  4. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Well, there are 17 people online in the Discord and 39 online in the IRC. Possibly more in different channels.

Edit: Nor any activity for days until I poked my head in just a bit ago.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is already a Discord server? Fair enough :)

6. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

The Discord isn't officially by any means. Also don't see IRC going anywhere tbqh, but we'll see I guess.

8. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I maek u best DLP powerd veebulletyn skin, only cost 900 hundred armenian scheckles.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So everyone is Enembee. I do not approve of this.

10. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
  11. Researcher

Researcher Second Year

High Score:
    Revision history

I would like to be able to see the revision history for a post. Think of it like the history of a file in a git repository. This would be very helpful in the WbA section to quickly know what's changed in the author's last edit. Don't know if vBulletin edits the entry in the DB, or adds a new entry.

My second suggestion is to get notifications of author activity in a thread. I would like to be able to subscribe to a thread, and only get notifications when the thread starter posts or edits a post. This would be helpful to filter out replies in threads.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I do like that header. We'll have to see if we can push it forward.

Any migration is a lot of work. I'd like there to be a material return on investment for doing so, though clearly there will be a point where DLP will necessarily need to migrate to stay safe.

Sure. I have 4.x sitting on the server, just haven't gone through the process of finishing the upgrade yet.

I know Slack/Discord/etc. are all the new hotness, but those come and go. IRC is eternal, IRC has a plethora of different clients on mobile, desktop, shell, etc.. -- lets people connect their way. I'm not very interested in adopting Discord, but we'll consider it. I personally don't use Discord at all currently, though I gave our DLP Discord a shot. I don't hate it, but I'm not sure it's what I want our official chat to be. That said, if everyone ends up wanting to use it, we'll probably end up taking it over officially. No sense in doubling up efforts.

vB does store the edit history, but it's only visible to admins. I'll think about it for WBA perhaps.

Good idea, I'll see what I can do.

13. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Buy darklordpotter.com so it can used as a redirect.

14. Lord Ravenclaw

If you've got $1200 knocking around, that's possible.

15. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd happily donate to such a drive.

EDIT: Actually, while we're on the subject, is there any way to streamline the donation process? The terminology is confusing at times, you do the know what you're paying for how long and I can't remember specifically why but I tend to get pissed off halfway through the process.

Five years ago donating wasn't really an option for me but most of us have more disposable income these days.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  16. Lord Ravenclaw

Do you recall what bothers you besides Paypal? It's possible there's something that'd work better these days, I can look into it.

17. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The subscription thing is ambiguous. It gives you a minimum of two months whereas I'd prefer to donate every month in various amounts depending on available surplus cash.

Also, I'm pretty sure the majority of trouble I have is forgetting my PayPal login so that's not a problem for most people. Maybe it'd be possible to add other services along with PayPal. I hear people talking about Patreon, is that a thing that could work? >_>

18. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Given the ubiquity of Amazon, is Amazon Payment Services an option?

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh that would be excellent.

Haven't read the whole thread, so it may have been mentioned but.... mayhaps a spoiler html tag hotbutton on the post tool bar? I always mistype /spoiler as /apoiler.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The DLP discord isn't really meant as a replacement for IRC. It's not official in any way, I just made it because Sauce Bauss really wanted it and begged me to make one.

IRC is much better for text communication between large groups -- Discord is optimized for a smaller group of people, imo. It is easier to pick up than IRC, for sure, though. I see it as a replacement for google hangouts and skype calls between members, as Discord's voice chat is better than both by far.