1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ron an asshole?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jenko, Feb 9, 2017.

1. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I wouldn't bother. Half these people aren't reading the thread or responding to the question, they are hitting their 5 post quota in a way they assume everyone else is. They didn't read your response the last five times, they won't read your rebuttal now.

If you expanded it and wrote an essay on Ron's character I'd read it for interest, but don't do it if your intent is to rebut people who won't read it anyway...

2. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Let me dream! I want to, have to, believe that somehow writing the right argument will help people see the light. That they can be convinced that all those FanFics they've read and written over the years might actually be problematic, even wrong, on numerous levels. That it might even be worth it to read the Books properly and listen to opinions they don't necessarily agree with.

3. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Ron isn't an asshole, but you are.

4. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I was going to properly respond to this, but then I thought of a better idea.

Darren, could you actually elaborate on when Ron actually does something along those lines? Could you take the time to find specific examples where he does one of those things, maybe with the original quote and its context thrown in for good measure? Or, at the very least, have an actual debate where you don't describe people who like Ron as giving him a blowjob?

But if you can't do that, judging by how vicious you are about this, I will think it safe to assume that you are in fact a Troll. Maybe even the same one that made the very same accusation at me during April Fools Day. Which, I'm not going to lie, gave me a chuckle the first time I read it. But now that I think about it, it makes me wonder if someone is just mad no one is giving him a bj, and is taking that anger out at other people.

So what will it be, Darren? You act like a civilized human being and actually defend your beliefs with rational arguments, or act like that one Troll Quirrel did try to warn everyone about?

---------- Post automerged at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Ok, we get it. You hate Ron.

Now, do you have any actual instances or quotes to bring up, other than an 11 year old with Middle Child Syndrome wanting to be just as good if not better than his siblings?

Because if you want, I can bring up moments where he, say, doesn't actually obsess or complain about how poor he is. Would you appreciate it if I did, or would you just ignore it and go "off to sulk like a 5 year old or throw a temper tantrum"?

5. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    How can anyone 'fellate' a fictional character? I have never understood these insults. They are so juvenile. Also, let's assume that he is an asshole. Then, so what? Should all characters be saints? Since when does 'likable' factor into the concept of well-written?

Not in my book they aren't as this bullying is hardly serious.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  6. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

The people receiving the bullying and humiliation would certainly disagree.

As for faults? Harry is short-tempered, shallow (Girls), stubborn, reckless, lazy, etc.

The flaws are there, but you simply ignore them or wave them away.

7. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When is he shallow with girls?

He crushes on Cho as a 14 year old boy...

But his female friends are the odd girl everyone thinks is a weirdo and a girl who was insufferable to everyone (including Harry) until he saved her life. He marries his best friend's younger sister.

I see your argument about his other faults, some more than others, but Harry being shallow isn't one of them.

See: Romilda Vane dismissal. NOT giving a toss about Parvati despite Dean and Seamus being aesthetically impressed (rude, not shallow), putting his trust in Hermione over date with Cho (which was dumb, but anti-shallow). Ignoring the girls who asked him out or hinted he should (Yule, Slug Club).

If anything, Harry could have used a bit of shallow snogging. Would have done wonders for a good chunk of his attitude.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. AmerigoCorleone

He was shallow when it came to girls he was attracted to.

9. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Wow, imagine being attracted to girls you find attractive.

10. AmerigoCorleone

That's the point. He was only ever attracted to the most popular and beautiful, never considering others for romance

11. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    At the end of the day, if the fact that Harry/Millicent never cropped up as a canon possibility and you see that as a sign of Harry's shortcomings, that's your business.

Harry had a single date with Cho (a good looking, slightly older girl who he shared a hobby with, the cad) which ended badly because he put Hermione over Cho.

At which point he dated one girl, who he married, after she had risked her life to help rescue his godfather. And who he shared a sport with. And who he had known for several years. And who made the first move on him.

Remember when he asked Luna - a girl who was considered a complete oddball and wildly unpopular in her own house - to the Slugclub party, even when loads of girls were literally ripe for the taking?

Remember when he showed no interest in Fleur?

Remember when Romilda Vane and a bunch of other girls tried to hit up Harry but he said f off because they were taking the piss out of Neville and Luna and broz b4 hoz.

FFFFF if you told me I'd be here, making a pro-Ginny, anti-Romilda point ;-;
    If Caliburn saw me now I'd die of shame.

But canon is canon. With regards to gurlz, Harry is at times: clueless, needlessly angsty, and re: Parvati astonishingly rude.

But he's not shallow because he has hormones. Cripes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  12. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Is this serious bullying? No, it isn't. If you want to consider it one, then good for you. And being short-tempered, stubborn and being attracted to pretty girls etc. are suddenly glaring flaws? Yeah, all right. You might as well be describing common human nature.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  13. AmerigoCorleone

Yes, it is serious bullying.

And being attracted to pretty girls is not a flaw, but only being attracted to the most popular and beautiful is shallow.

And Harry's stubbornness, short temper, and recklessness have played a part in lives being lost, so they are glaring faults.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

So it's fine to be attracted to beautiful people...so long as they're not too beautiful?

15. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Hermione only dates quidditch stars and war heroes. What a gold-digging bitch.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If only Draco hadn't dropped Pansy for Astoria, he might have been able to cling to his title of most enlightened character in the series. Tragic.

17. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    So he has to grow up and realize how awful of a person he is...because he is attracted to attractive girls.

Damn, that's a one-way ticket to hell. Wizarding hell if they have one.

Aaand vlad already proved that's not the case, so the point is invalid.

18. AmerigoCorleone

Does it make him an awful person? No.

But it is a flaw in his character. Only considering the most beautiful and popular is shallow.

19. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Even, for sake of argument, accepting your premise.

You've yet to show an example of Harry doing that.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm not sure if I'm reading these posts right. Is this current discussion about Harry being shallow because he only dated pretty girls?

All the girls Harry ever dated were girls that he associated with on a regular basis Cho, Luna, and Ginny. That's not being shallow that's just dating the people you know.

Unless I'm missing part of this conversation.