1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"One Piece" anime and manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by CrashLTD, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    >mfw

Nah but you're right. That sounds too much like good character development, considering in real life no one is so perfectly one dimensional that even explaining (though not justifying) their evil actions would be something acceptable. Get that shit out of here.

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Oda's skill at writing and drawing complete chaos is showing.

Big Mom can't drain a soul of someone that's not afraid of her? That's a ... pretty weird weakness.

3. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

It really is. It actually makes her weak considering most One piece characters are fearless.

Also, why sin't Kaidou constantly confronting Big Mom if he wants to die. Her power could easily kill him, no?

4. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I dunno. Big Mom's pretty scary. Seems pretty reliable.

Also, god damn but Jinbe's a fucking boss.

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God, I love One Piece. It's just so good.

People will complain about mediocre chapters or the occasional slow arc and whine, but at the end of the day Oda just writes good story. This whole arc has been pretty amazing.

6. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

The slow parts are also usually very plot relevant foreshadowing, too.

7. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I have seen variations of this comment around the internet, can you tell me how you would make it more powerful but not utterly broken? We have seen her do it to her son at the start of the arc and he was told not to show fear or he'd be dead, so we knew it was there for a while too.

She has Zeus, Prometheus and an industructible body. And we know she has conquerers Haki and we can assume she has armament and observation haki too. So it isn't like she is not op without a potential hax like that.

Edit: This chapter had me grinning from ear to ear start to finish.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Just now catching up on the last handful of chapters... and I gotta say, in 862 (one before the most recent one)... I KNEW the plan would go wrong somehow. No way in hell was it going to go perfectly. But of all the ways I might have guessed it would go wrong, none of them began with "Sanji said her eye was beautiful and meant it."

I think it's good storytelling how something honest like that started to send things nicely off the rails. Something no one on any side of this fiasco planned for... and now it's easier to believe that they could pull it off because Big Mom's crew isn't sure of their cues anymore.

...latest chapter? Yup, Jinbe is still my favorite character. Just like he's been since his first real entry into the series.

On another note... this was part of the cover of the most recent issue. Which manga is the kid behind Luffy from?

[​IMG]

9. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So, I'm wondering about dogtooth(sp?). The guy we were told could see 5 seconds into the future. But then in the latest chapter we also learned he's a logia type.

?????

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The translation I read explained it by stating that Dogtooth could see a few seconds into the future because he trained his Observation Haki so much. Has nothing to do with his fruit.

11. Rehio

High Score:
    My Hero Academia, a pretty good Shonen that's based on Superheroes. The author, from what I recall, idolizes Oda like Oda idolizes Toriyama for Dragonball.

Something cute for ya from Oda's SBS -

[​IMG]

12. Rah

Rah Death Eater

On that side note, My hero Academia is quickly becoming one of my favorites. The manga is amazing and the quality of the anime is pretty high. I'd definitely recommend it.

For one piece, loved the new chapter. Jinbei is a like always, and I have a feeling that Ceaser is going to end up betraying them somehow.

13. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I am boggling as to what the fuck this Lamp Lamp/Billow Billow Fruit does, but that Djinn is badass looking as fuck. Also, the thing with Pudding is still being played up a bit.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So am I the only one who really, really doesn't fucking care about Big Mom's backstory?

Especially with how suddenly it popped up in the middle of the action. This kinda jarring shoehorn gets roasted in (fan)fiction and storytelling in general.

Plus, y'know, fuck Big Mom. One of the worst characters Oda's made by far, her and her crew by extension. So boring.

15. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

Have to agree, after Whitebeard back then and Kaido's intro Big Mom just feels cartoonish in the worst possible way.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I get the feeling Oda uses Big Mom as a quick and easy way to have Luffy make the biggest possible impact in the New World without disrupting his plans for later. News around the world-style, new bounties and reactions from other major characters.

Kaido (and I believe Kidd) has some kind of beef with Shanks and is majorly involved with the stuff, that started in Dressrosa and currently concerns Wano and the rest of the Strawhats.

Black Beard shapes up to be one of the end bosses for quite a long time now.

Shanks is an ally.

The remnants of the Whitebeard pirates and associates are also allies and are currently hunted by that strange guy.
    [​IMG]

Then there are still the WG, the Revolutionaries and whatever else I forgot.

Kinda explains why not the whole crew is there and why those Underworld figures are there to spread the news.

That said, best thing so far is the addition of Jinbe to the crew.

16. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Have to agree One Piece after the time skip and especially this arc is really not doing it for me.

Big Mom is just a massive Baby who can only think of food, throws annyoing temper tantrums when she doesn't get her way and has awful character design, her and her massive crew of uninteresting characters are just annoying I liked the fairy tail theme but by now I can't stand them.

Really tired of Oda throwing ten million characters a second at us with a annoying quirk who I don't give a shit about.

Sanji's family sucks the only mildly interesting of the bunch is his sister but I could do without the ridiculous abuse level.

Also annyoed by Oda's flashbacks in the middle of a conflict it just destroys the flow of the story.

Hope this arc is not taking that long anymore because the setup for future arc looks very promising with things vaguely wraping up for the finale arcs.

17. Rehio

High Score:
    Eh, I'm loving the current arc. Really enjoyed the continuation of the flashback in today's chapter.

18. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I got to disagree, I've been loving everything since the Zou arc. The pace has been excellent. This entire arc I've enjoyed the contrast between the fake sweetness facade and how dark and terrifying everything about Big Mom actually is.
    I mean this most recent chapter had implied cannibalism and child slavery.

Dressrosa was good it just dragged on for too long for being a weekly manga. Some characters were introduced and then not seen for 2 years while still being part of the same arc.

And I agree with you about there being too many characters, but every arc for the last 20 or so years has had a million characters. Not surprised its not changing now.

19. Rehio

High Score:
    Oda drew some fanfiction.

[​IMG]

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I wasn't ready.